Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,293
    Given: 633

What we learned from Saturday on ESPN

What we learned from Saturday afternoon - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

"Iowa State 65, Kansas State 61: Before today, there was a good chance the Cyclones were going to make the NCAA tournament. They had built their resume in solid but unspectacular fashion in recent weeks, avoiding (for the most part) the kind of bad losses that could introduce some doubt into the process. With the closing troika of Kansas State (away), Missouri (away) and Baylor (home), the Cyclones could potentially have closed with an 0-3 mark and still gotten in. There wasn't a bad loss to be had.

But forget all that now: With this road win, the Cyclones are in. Kansas State had sealed its fate last week with back-to-back road wins over Baylor and Missouri. Iowa State's ability to overcome a tough, grooving defensive team on the road, to ride a scorching-hot Scott Cristopherson's 29 points (on 10-of-13 from the field and 5-of-5 from 3), to hold on to the win in the final moments, was all very impressive, the kind of thing that distinguishes you from the score of shaky bubble squads in the mix. There's no chance Iowa State misses the tournament now. Fred Hoiberg's team just killed the suspense."

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Re: What we learned from Saturday on ESPN

Yeah Clones. Way to find a way to win!

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    Yeah Clones. Way to find a way to win!
    ROAD DOGZ!!!

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 17

Always liked ESPN. Had a soft spot for Iowa State.

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Gottlieb probably thinks we're still iffy.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 486

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan987 View Post
    Gottlieb probably thinks we're still iffy.
    Nope, Gottlieb tweeted earlier this evening that we're a lock. Palm, on the other hand...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 468

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Nope, Gottlieb tweeted earlier this evening that we're a lock. Palm, on the other hand...
    You mean, "Palm, on the other palm ... "

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post

"Iowa State 65, Kansas State 61: Before today, there was a good chance the Cyclones were going to make the NCAA tournament. They had built their resume in solid but unspectacular fashion in recent weeks, avoiding (for the most part) the kind of bad losses that could introduce some doubt into the process. With the closing troika of Kansas State (away), Missouri (away) and Baylor (home), the Cyclones could potentially have closed with an 0-3 mark and still gotten in. There wasn't a bad loss to be had.

But forget all that now: With this road win, the Cyclones are in. Kansas State had sealed its fate last week with back-to-back road wins over Baylor and Missouri. Iowa State's ability to overcome a tough, grooving defensive team on the road, to ride a scorching-hot Scott Cristopherson's 29 points (on 10-of-13 from the field and 5-of-5 from 3), to hold on to the win in the final moments, was all very impressive, the kind of thing that distinguishes you from the score of shaky bubble squads in the mix. There's no chance Iowa State misses the tournament now. Fred Hoiberg's team just killed the suspense."
    What are we going to talk about on CF from now until Selection Sunday?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 122

Our seed

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,431
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 575

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post

Gotta love having Eamonn Brennan writing for ESPN. As a native Iowan, he definitely slips in a few references to his home state in articles and mentions, such as this, and has insight that an outsider wouldn't know.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 22

I never talk to strangers about my seed.

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Well that's nice to read. As good (great,really) as this win was I have been very disappointed in a lot of the stuff I've heard today on CBS,ESPN etc. We're 11-5 and tied for 3rd in the B12 and still a bubble team along with Texas while KSU is a lock-and this was after we beat them today. I've about had it with experts justifying conference records of 6-10,etc. or teams at 16-12.At some point if there's 2 weeks left and your only 3 or 4 games over .500 on the season I can't see an at-large bid unless your SOS is in the top 5.And I can't see losing 9 of 11 and still being projected to be in, even tho your coach is probably fired. And I don't see a team 3 or 4 games below .500 in conference being a lock while a team 2 or 3 games over .500 in the same conference is outside the bubble. And what's the deal with the B1G- not every team is NCAA worthy. Of course you have no bad losses if you consider every team in your conference as a powerhouse. And how were we listed as one of Texas big wins until after we won today,and now KSU is one of their big wins and we are not. And finally...SC did not just come in this year! At least they got that right today. PS If anyone doesn't know it, watch the B12 Showcase on Fox Sports Channels with Wendall Barnhouse. He is probably the only B12 "homer" on any of the major networks, I got hooked on him a couple years ago during FB season.

Clone4ever

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 486

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonefarmer View Post
    Well that's nice to read. As good (great,really) as this win was I have been very disappointed in a lot of the stuff I've heard today on CBS,ESPN etc. We're 11-5 and tied for 3rd in the B12 and still a bubble team along with Texas while KSU is a lock-and this was after we beat them today. I've about had it with experts justifying conference records of 6-10,etc. or teams at 16-12.At some point if there's 2 weeks left and your only 3 or 4 games over .500 on the season I can't see an at-large bid unless your SOS is in the top 5.And I can't see losing 9 of 11 and still being projected to be in, even tho your coach is probably fired. And I don't see a team 3 or 4 games below .500 in conference being a lock while a team 2 or 3 games over .500 in the same conference is outside the bubble. And what's the deal with the B1G- not every team is NCAA worthy. Of course you have no bad losses if you consider every team in your conference as a powerhouse. And how were we listed as one of Texas big wins until after we won today,and now KSU is one of their big wins and we are not. And finally...SC did not just come in this year! At least they got that right today. PS If anyone doesn't know it, watch the B12 Showcase on Fox Sports Channels with Wendall Barnhouse. He is probably the only B12 "homer" on any of the major networks, I got hooked on him a couple years ago during FB season.
    What???

If you go and actually read ESPN's Bubble Watch, it was through Thursday's games, which means it's not taking into account what happened today. Even after the TT game most of us fans were still debating what our chances were if we lost 4 straight and what kind of impact it would have on our Tournament chances. If ISU fans aren't certain, you can't blame the national media for having us on the bubble. Even then, even though ESPN still had ISU on the bubble, it was a "virtual lock" status. If on the next Bubble Watch ESPN still has ISU on the bubble then you might have a legitimate gripe.

As far as CBS goes, well, Palm just can't get out of his own way and admit that he's wrong.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52

He spelled Christopherson wrong.

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    What???

If you go and actually read ESPN's Bubble Watch, it was through Thursday's games, which means it's not taking into account what happened today. Even after the TT game most of us fans were still debating what our chances were if we lost 4 straight and what kind of impact it would have on our Tournament chances. If ISU fans aren't certain, you can't blame the national media for having us on the bubble. Even then, even though ESPN still had ISU on the bubble, it was a "virtual lock" status. If on the next Bubble Watch ESPN still has ISU on the bubble then you might have a legitimate gripe.

As far as CBS goes, well, Palm just can't get out of his own way and admit that he's wrong.
    Tried to reply last nite but my wonderful satellite internet disconnected me after I finished typing and tried to post- My complaint was that this graphic showed us and Texas as bubble teams on one of the other B12 games (but I can't re if it was ESPNU or ESPN FC) 20 minutes after we had beat KSU. It had also changed us from being one of Texas big wins,which it has being using the last couple weeks, to KSU being one of their big wins and taking us off that list. I realize looking back that they probably assumed KSU looked better for that distinction after last week's big wins for them,but I thought since the game was on after ours,they should have updated the graphic or not used it. I understand what you're saying about Bubble Watch, but I always get that from here since someone will usually post it,so I had no issue with that. That was my gripe, along with earlier yesterday CBS trying to justify Illinois and one or two others as being safely in. As far as me, I have been one who has contented if we beat TT we should be ok,but that was a nicely unexpectd bonus yesterday.Hope that explains my rant a little better.

Clone4ever