Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Playing catch

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 132,605, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    stateofmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,583
    Points
    132,605
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 111

    Playing catch

    So I bought my eight-year old son a small Iowa Energy nerf ball, a bit bigger than a regular nerf, the other night at the game. We started playing catch in the living room the other night and the most we could get to was 82 catches. That means that each of us caught it 82 times, it was thrown 164 times. My goal today was to get to 100. We not only got to 100, but we just hit 592. So that was a total of 1,184 throws.

    Why did I post this? I told him that if we hit 200 I would post on here. When we got to 200 he wanted me to post, I said let's try to get to 500. It's amazing what setting goals can do for you. This is all for a kid that can pass a football and shoot a basketball with the best of them, but when it comes to catching ANYTHING, he's like a numb-handed T-Rex. I'm picking on him since he's reading while I'm typing this up.

    Anyway, what a great day today!



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 55,041, Level: 72
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    55,041
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Playing catch

    Good job, mini-stateofmind!



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 75,922, Level: 85
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,562
    Points
    75,922
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 17

    Re: Playing catch

    I will have 20 beers tonight.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 18,843, Level: 41
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    BCforISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,127
    Points
    18,843
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

    Re: Playing catch

    Pretty cool day for the two of you, I am sure you will both talk about this later in life. Dang tiny arms.


    No more Rhyming, I mean it.... Anybody want a Peanut?

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 421,362, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,501
    Points
    421,362
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    I will have 20 beers tonight.
    You can post about it when you get to 20, but why not go for 50? I believe that's the moral of this story.


    TRUE AND VALIANT

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 728,027, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,055
    Points
    728,027
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,076
    Given: 572

    Re: Playing catch

    Very cool. Good job, little dude!

    I bought my son one of those nerfs that counted the passes, only to find that my son is a lefty and it doesn't work rotating that way. He was ******!



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 403,815, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,468
    Points
    403,815
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 162

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    So I bought my eight-year old son a small Iowa Energy nerf ball, a bit bigger than a regular nerf, the other night at the game. We started playing catch in the living room the other night and the most we could get to was 82 catches. That means that each of us caught it 82 times, it was thrown 164 times. My goal today was to get to 100. We not only got to 100, but we just hit 592. So that was a total of 1,184 throws.

    Why did I post this? I told him that if we hit 200 I would post on here. When we got to 200 he wanted me to post, I said let's try to get to 500. It's amazing what setting goals can do for you. This is all for a kid that can pass a football and shoot a basketball with the best of them, but when it comes to catching ANYTHING, he's like a numb-handed T-Rex. I'm picking on him since he's reading while I'm typing this up.

    Anyway, what a great day today!
    So what you're really trying to say is your son has hands like this?


    When Prepared, Fear No One.

  8. #8
    Eternal Student
    Points: 57,310, Level: 74
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,240
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    no2cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nicholas J Schrup Library
    Posts
    3,186
    Points
    57,310
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 514

    Re: Playing catch

    Very cool! Like a scene straight out of Field of Dreams!



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 59,183, Level: 75
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,522
    Points
    59,183
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 63

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Very cool. Good job, little dude!

    I bought my son one of those nerfs that counted the passes, only to find that my son is a lefty and it doesn't work rotating that way. He was ******!
    If it's a football, can he throw it turned-around? Then it would be a "righty" spiral. Some of those footballs have tailfins and junk though so maybe it wouldn't work. If it's just a spherical ball, I can't see why it would matter since the ball will have backspin either way.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 27,058, Level: 50
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,081
    Points
    27,058
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 99

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    So I bought my eight-year old son a small Iowa Energy nerf ball, a bit bigger than a regular nerf, the other night at the game. We started playing catch in the living room the other night and the most we could get to was 82 catches. That means that each of us caught it 82 times, it was thrown 164 times. My goal today was to get to 100. We not only got to 100, but we just hit 592. So that was a total of 1,184 throws.

    Why did I post this? I told him that if we hit 200 I would post on here. When we got to 200 he wanted me to post, I said let's try to get to 500. It's amazing what setting goals can do for you. This is all for a kid that can pass a football and shoot a basketball with the best of them, but when it comes to catching ANYTHING, he's like a numb-handed T-Rex. I'm picking on him since he's reading while I'm typing this up.

    Anyway, what a great day today!
    I played a game like this with my dad. We would start at a dollar and I would run a route (We were outside, it was a real football. Not full size, but rubber and filled with air).

    If I would catch it, he would offer to double my money if I caught another. I would usually take him up on his bet. If I wanted to stop and take the money, he would ridicule me and just act flabbergasted that I would turn down such a good deal to double my money.

    About that point in the process, he would fire the ball so hard that I couldn't get my little hands up in time and it'd bounce off my face and I wouldn't get any money out of the deal.

    It was a game I always looked forward to for some reason. Never did win any money out of the old man.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 37,598, Level: 59
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    andybernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Points
    37,598
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 7

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    I played a game like this with my dad. We would start at a dollar and I would run a route (We were outside, it was a real football. Not full size, but rubber and filled with air).

    If I would catch it, he would offer to double my money if I caught another. I would usually take him up on his bet. If I wanted to stop and take the money, he would ridicule me and just act flabbergasted that I would turn down such a good deal to double my money.

    About that point in the process, he would fire the ball so hard that I couldn't get my little hands up in time and it'd bounce off my face and I wouldn't get any money out of the deal.

    It was a game I always looked forward to for some reason. Never did win any money out of the old man.
    My older brother was pretty good friends with a college qb and they would come lift weights with me at our high school and then afterwards I would run routes for him...they thought it was so fun (I kinda did too) for him to throw it as hard as he could on slant routes. It definitely helped and I'd like to think if I wasn't a slow white guy I would have been a very good receiver. 6'3'' with really good hands.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 27,058, Level: 50
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,081
    Points
    27,058
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 99

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by andybernard View Post
    My older brother was pretty good friends with a college qb and they would come lift weights with me at our high school and then afterwards I would run routes for him...they thought it was so fun (I kinda did too) for him to throw it as hard as he could on slant routes. It definitely helped and I'd like to think if I wasn't a slow white guy I would have been a very good receiver. 6'3'' with really good hands.
    Yeah. But I was like 5



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 37,598, Level: 59
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    andybernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Points
    37,598
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 7

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    Yeah. But I was like 5
    I was 13...just passing the story along.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 132,605, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    stateofmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,583
    Points
    132,605
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 111

    Re: Playing catch

    Good stories guys, I will share your posts with him tonight, except for Gogagig . He wanted to do it again on Sunday, I just couldn't get the motivation up to do it again. I'm sure he'll ask to do it again tonight. We will be going for 1,000.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 728,027, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,055
    Points
    728,027
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,076
    Given: 572

    Re: Playing catch

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    If it's a football, can he throw it turned-around? Then it would be a "righty" spiral. Some of those footballs have tailfins and junk though so maybe it wouldn't work. If it's just a spherical ball, I can't see why it would matter since the ball will have backspin either way.
    Yeah, this had a tail fin that acted as the counter.

    He's a 180 lb middle school center, so throwing the football isn't quite his deal anymore, though he does think he could make a good running back because all the little dudes bounce off him in practice.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM