Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

Tailgating story (I think it's important)

I had a very interesting experience yesterday, where I ended up meeting a guy tailgating that was a former player under Donnie Duncan, and he was with another former player as well. Very interesting guy, had some great stories, shared some margaritas, just a heck of a lot of fun. He was using our grill because they forgot theirs apparently, which I thought was hilarious because you're going tailgating... anyway, on to the important note.

At one point he was trying to put some hot dogs on the grill, and they were in one of those resealable bags with the initial seal before you open it. Sometimes that thing is pretty tough to get but really it's just a bag. He could barely get it open. He said he had a really hard time gripping things well. In two years he said he had 12 broken bones and 3 surgeries.

I know games like yesterday sucked. But those guys on the field are putting a lot more on the line than just our entertainment and they deserve our respect. Does that mean they can't be criticized imo, no it does not. I have been very critical of Meyer and Blythe following the game yesterday. I just think we should remember these guys are young and they may be putting up with some stuff physically that we won't have to because they love this game. We might have a bad day because we love this game.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Re: Tailgating story (I think it's important)

Bump....

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Great story...thanks for posting

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Good story but I still don't think it's a reason not to be critical of guys when they are not playing well. The guys on the other side of the ball that kicked our a$$es go through the same thing and they have a win to show for it.

Here's the thing, not everyone is blessed with God given talent to play football but those who do know that they are risking their future health by playing the game. Some of these guys may make millions playing the game and their health is one thing they sometimes have to sacrafice for it. I'm not saying I don't feel sympathic because it is sad that Duncan's football injuries have hurt his ability to grip things but I don't find it a reason not to be critical of players that are not performing to their capabilities just because they may sometime have a lingering injury from playing football.

I'm frustrated as hell with how we have played this year. I knew it was going to be tough but I have a hard time seeing improvement right now. I'm going to be patient, I have faith the coaching staff will turn this thing around in a couple seasons. But different year, different coach, and same old ***** sometimes it seems like.

Go Cubs Go!