Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Everyone just wants to make this easy....

Everyone is trying to be too simplistic on the problems going on right now.

1. It's not the coaches fault, well not entirely. They will be a good coaching staff eventually. The coaches are going to need some time, but they obviously don't have the line play that they are going to need. The big thing is how they handle the results this year. In my comments going back to the UNI game, I think the coaches can't put the blame on the players. They have to look at this and say how they can get better. The players won't turn over quick enough for this coaching staff to get all their own players. And completely failing at ISU is a sure way to end your college career. What I guess I look for from the coaches is just flat out how they respond going forward. They NEED to make these guys work, they can't rely on blaming the players. And that also can't happen in a personal matter amongst friends. I look at it like Mike Gundy, the coach should take the heat when things go wrong.

It's not the players fault, again not entirely. The guys we have may very well have been much better this year under Dan than they currently are. I actually think what you are seeing from Blythe and Meyer makes a lot of sense. #1 they started their first two years against the bottom half of the big12. They didn't play OU and Texas until last year. And they built a reputation by than. My own personal opinion all along has been that if you want to blame some part of the players, blame the offensive line. If they were half way decent, we would be a lot more potent on offense. And on defense if our front four could get some pressure, things would be much much better. It's not rocket science on this part, the lines win football games. And that goes for both sides. The lack of a good offensive line has forced Bret to move the pocket more. Now, he can do that, but he is a much better stationary thrower. #2, the talent that they had in the receiving corps has gone down a bit this year. Last year the line started horribly, and than now you lost the two other guys Bret was really comfortable with. So, what do you do if you play against ISU? Cover Blythe with your #1 cover guy and give him a little help, and than work to stuff the run. Force someone else to beat you. It's not going to happen, we don't have anyone else to beat them, because our line doesn't give bret time to work through his progressions.

Finally, the fans can't be blamed for their reactions. They were told this was a new era of ISU football. They were told come and see this team. That they would win some games after last year. It's pretty clear that's not the case.

Here is some good news. This is a good choice as a year for a new coaching staff. Next year we start the "softer" 2 year portion of our schedule. So, having the growing pains now may not be too bad. And the other good news is that the future at QB doesn't look too bad. And I think bates may be a pretty good receiver eventually. And hopefully the talent is somewhere in the pipeline on the lines. If not, we are in for more trouble next year again, obviously not as bad, but still it's a tough conference.

Myself, I want to see Meyer play. And I want to see Blythe get the ball more. I also want the youngsters to get in some, but hey this is a rebuilding year, don't get anyone young hurt, or if they get hurt make sure they get healthy. And enjoy some of these games for what they are. And help steer any good linemen to ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Everyone just wants to make this easy....

Quote Originally Posted by St. Lou Clone View Post
    And I want to see Blythe get the ball more.

And help steer any good linemen to ISU.
    Tried to get him the ball, he dropped it.

The line wasn't the problem today.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that the coaches need time to learn how to work together, figure out what they have, get some of their own players, etc. My biggest concern in all of this is the offense. It just feels very conservative and I'm not smart enough to know why. Could be the line? Could be the QB? I dunno but we're not striking much fear in the hearts of anyone right now.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

You're right on all points here...we all need to stay positive.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    The line wasn't the problem today.
    Maybe not OLine but the DLine stunk it up. How many times did mccoy sit there and have no one to throw to while our DBs held their own but the DL couldnt gete to him? DBs can only be expected to keep coverage for so long. I was very impressed with them today. The DL needs and overhaul...again...with the next recruiting class. I cant tell if they need to be bigger or faster or what, but they need something. They cant hang right now.

Husker Hater

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 110

I don't think that the playcalling is overly conservative this year. However, it is very deliberate - the coaches appear to be making very calculated attempts at pass plays over 20 yards. Overall I've been satisfied with the play calling. They are doing a pretty decent job of mixing up the inside run, outside run and passing game. We just aren't getting any big plays from any one of those parts. Bret threw into multiple coverage many times today and threw lots of bad balls, Todd dropped at least 2 balls. I think the offense FEELS conservative because our passes, when more than 10 yards downfield, usually aren't connecting.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 46

I will be very disappointed if the OL is not much better next year. They have showed a lot of improvement from the first game to the TT game. I am also hoping that some of the guys that Chizik redshirted are going to give a little boost to the lines. The OL has not been very good the last two games, but who on ISU has?

One bright spot today: The center didn't hike the ball over Meyer's head.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Nobody got hurt.

Of course its hard to get hurt when you play flag football

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 65

I disagree with a couple points in the original post.

Overall I say the o-line gets a passing grade. there were so many question marks and unknown variables coming into the season. A frosh, and a 2 Sophs are starting and Myers has gotten sacked very few times so far. I cant say for sure, but im inclined to believe that a decent amount of myers roll outs are by design(even if the line isnt blocking very well). sure, it masks some issues on the line, but up until the last 2 games, the o-line also was able to open holes in the run game, and keep myers off his back.

another thing thats driven me crazy this year....and it snowballed among the fans thanks to the loses so i guess it was justified is that i whole heartedly didnt expect ISU to be very good this year. better than 1-5, but not striking fear into the hearts of anyone. Its good for the program that the fans bought into the hype machine WAY TOO MUCH, but a lot of peole lost sight that thry needed to temper thier expectations. theres a reason pretty much every web site predicted ISU would finish dead last in the north. ISU just doesnt have a good team.

Onto the d-line. written up all off season how under sized it is. teams are finally starting to abuse our d-line as expected, and its getting ugly. this is just a wait till next year issue now.

hopefully we can get a good juco QB for next year. I really like what Sumrall and hamilton bring to the table as wr's. all 5 o-line starters will return, and a good portion of the defense. This season down in the dumps is going to pay off when we have a team with some serious experince under thier belts.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

It must have been the wind.
    It must have been the refs.
    It must have been the rain.
    It must be the playcalling.
    It must have been the banged up bodies.
    It must have been the wet homefield where Sumrall slipped a sure fire long plAY.
    No, it is only us - we are our own worst enemy as we make more mistakes than the other team.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.