Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Credit Report question

Every year I do my free credit report. It shows reports for 3 different agencies.

I did it tonight and the first one shows nothing strange.

The 2nd and 3rd however show that I have a negative reporting from Nebraska Furniture Mart Card. On one the negative is for Feb 13, the other Feb 20.

It says I owed $70 and only paid $50 on my last bill which is odd because I actually paid $100.00 So I call up NFM and say wtf to which they say they have no clue because I am current and up to date and never late ect.

The notes on the negative just said something like "pays as goes"

What could be going on? What could cause this. I do have a payment of $70 due on march 3rd but obviously that wouldnt be it. NFM suggested maybe it will go away but I dont think that things just "go away".

Any Ideas from someone who knows more (meaning anything) about this stuff?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Credit Report question

Call the credit agencies asap

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    yeah, sorry man. Red Tape time. This may be a nightmare for you.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 17

Who are you making payments to? Directly to the store? Or to a bank that is handling the payment plan?

Contact whoever you are making payments to. Sternly demand that they contact the credit burs and remove the negative items.

If you contact the CB directly, they will ask you to dispute. Disputes are now usually all automated, and your dispute will result in an "automated" investigation, typically not resulting in an outcome in your favor.

You are better off dealing with the entity to which you are making payments and asking them to contact the credit bureaus. They are the ones reporting the negative items incorrectly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    Ok, soooo I may have made things worse. I called equifax (800-203-7843) and gave this lady all my info including ss# and about half way thru I started to wonder if she actually worked there as she knew absolutely nothing and all information she gave me info that I had told her already.

Basically she told me it shows up cause thats the last time they reported. And I said but why would it have a negative report and she just stuttered and kept repeating her self.

I googled the phone number, son of a *****.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    Who are you making payments to? Directly to the store? Or to a bank that is handling the payment plan?

Contact whoever you are making payments to. Sternly demand that they contact the credit burs and remove the negative items.

If you contact the CB directly, they will ask you to dispute. Disputes are now usually all automated, and your dispute will result in an "automated" investigation, typically not resulting in an outcome in your favor.

You are better off dealing with the entity to which you are making payments and asking them to contact the credit bureaus. They are the ones reporting the negative items incorrectly.
    I log into my NFM account and pay it online or pay it using the account # via my bank. I dont know what bank they actually do their 0percent deals with.

I think thats the way to go is to harrass them. I have disputed items in the past over the internets through the actual agencies and won them all suprisingly. They were from my college days of not paying bills. I guess they have something like 15 days to reply and if they dont then its taken off. I could be way off on this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Ok, soooo I may have made things worse. I called equifax (800-203-7843) and gave this lady all my info including ss# and about half way thru I started to wonder if she actually worked there as she knew absolutely nothing and all information she gave me info that I had told her already.

Basically she told me it shows up cause thats the last time they reported. And I said but why would it have a negative report and she just stuttered and kept repeating her self.

I googled the phone number, son of a *****.
    You will get nowhere dealing with credit agencies. As I said earlier, at best they will ask you to dispute- which you could do yourself. They're not going to simply remove the negative items just because you called them and told them it is a mistake. There is a dispute procedure that must be followed if you contact the credit bureau and claim an error.

Don't expect customer service with these guys. You are not their customer. The people reporting you are their customers.

Your best bet is contacting the bank/store you are making payments to directly and askign them to contact the credit bureaus. If that fails, then do a dispute with the credit bureaus. And if you must do a dispute, your best chance is doing it with a 1-2 punch method. Google it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    I log into my NFM account and pay it online or pay it using the account # via my bank. I dont know what bank they actually do their 0percent deals with.

I think thats the way to go is to harrass them. I have disputed items in the past over the internets through the actual agencies and won them all suprisingly. They were from my college days of not paying bills. I guess they have something like 15 days to reply and if they dont then its taken off. I could be way off on this.
    The thing is modern disputes are now computerized in the last 5-6 years. But certainly, dispute if you've had success before.

Last edited by gogagig; 02-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

You need to contact the bureau directly and dispute the report. The bureau should then do a conference call with NFM, the Bureau and you to discuss the matter. During the dispute call you will be asked to state your case and explain why it is incorrect.

Before you do this, make sure you have all the documentation to support your cause, whether it be bank statements for each month showing your payment, or something from their website showing you made the payment on time and for at least the minimum amount due.

Used to do this all the time with borrowers in the mortgage business and it was cleared up in 24-48 hours. You may need to do it with both credit bureaus since you have two of the three credit bureaus who have reported you as negative. NFM may only report to the two bureaus who show you as negative and doesn't report to the bureau who has you ok. Don't count on NFM to report to both bureaus on your behalf, so be prepared to do it twice.