Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 156

Big 12 guide to WVU's home turf

Hopefully get a road trip in to Morgantown sometime in the next couple years.
    The Big 12 guide to WVU's home turf - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 114

Re: Big 12 guide to WVU's home turf

I'm definitely going in 2013. Very excited. It sounds like Morgantown is a really great, and very unique gameday atmosphere.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Just come to the area in front of the stadium (Blue Lot and Light Blue Lot area) as early as you can on game day and you'll be invited into almost every tailgate you walk past...We're very excited to have new teams and fans visiting our neck of the woods.

I have a pretty darn good tailgate on the edge of the light blue lot...when your time to visit rolls around shoot me a pm, and we'll be happy to be your first spot on a new tailgating adventure!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Fasnacht View Post
    Just come to the area in front of the stadium (Blue Lot and Light Blue Lot area) as early as you can on game day and you'll be invited into almost every tailgate you walk past...We're very excited to have new teams and fans visiting our neck of the woods.

I have a pretty darn good tailgate on the edge of the light blue lot...when your time to visit rolls around shoot me a pm, and we'll be happy to be your first spot on a new tailgating adventure!
    Question for you:

If someone is staying in downtown Morgantown, how tough is it to get to the tailgating lots? Can we just ride that goofy little train thingy?

My buddies and I have been talking about it, and we'd probably prefer staying downtown on Friday and Saturday, but we noticed that there were hotels and some of the more well known bars (Kegler's or something like that) close to the stadium. I figured if it wasn't too hard to get from downtown to the tailgate area, it would make more sense for us.

But if it would be easier to stay by the stadium and get a cab downtown to party at night, we might do that.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Looking forward to going there in 2013. It'll be after I graduate so a perfect time for a road trip with some of my friends from back in Ames. Really excited for WVU to come to the Big XII.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Question for you:

If someone is staying in downtown Morgantown, how tough is it to get to the tailgating lots? Can we just ride that goofy little train thingy?

My buddies and I have been talking about it, and we'd probably prefer staying downtown on Friday and Saturday, but we noticed that there were hotels and some of the more well known bars (Kegler's or something like that) close to the stadium. I figured if it wasn't too hard to get from downtown to the tailgate area, it would make more sense for us.

But if it would be easier to stay by the stadium and get a cab downtown to party at night, we might do that.
    On football game weekends, you might have to wait a long time on a cab...There just aren't than many roaming around, but they are available and any bar will call one for you. The PRT (i.e., goofy little train thingy...lol) is a good option, but will still require a little bit of walking (maybe a 1/4 mile) from its last stop near the stadium (the "Health Sciences" stop) to Keglers...Also, the PRT does not run 24 hours, I believe it runs until 9 or 10 p.m. most nights, so great to shuttle around for your day drinking, but you'll want to be near where you are spending the night by 10 if that will be your primary mode of transport...

There is also a late night drunk bus that runs from downtown to the evansdale campus (where the stadium is) but it is very likely that you have to be a student to ride it...I haven't ridden it in almost 20 years...

One of the bad things about Morgantown, is that while there are many excellent spots, there is not really one main pedestrian friendly party zone...High Street definitely comes the closest and there are a ton of bars (60% straight college - 20% mix of clientele - 20% a little more laid back slightly older crowds)...The wharf district is close to high street and has some cool places, and there are some other gems tucked close by...

If worst comes to worst, and the weather is decent, you can walk between the two campuses without too much trouble...only 2 or 3 miles apart but pretty hilly...or try to hitchhike (used to be much more popular around town than it is now).

As for gameday and getting to the tailgating lots, the PRT is a good option for the morning and I believe that it always runs for one hour after every game no matter what time the game finishes, unless the University is on holiday (Thanksgiving) in which case it will be shut down completely.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

On football game weekends, you might have to wait a long time on a cab...There just aren't than many roaming around, but they are available and any bar will call one for you. The PRT (i.e., goofy little train thingy...lol) is a good option, but will still require a little bit of walking (maybe a 1/4 mile) from its last stop near the stadium (the "Health Sciences" stop) to Keglers...Also, the PRT does not run 24 hours, I believe it runs until 9 or 10 p.m. most nights, so great to shuttle around for your day drinking, but you'll want to be near where you are spending the night by 10 if that will be your primary mode of transport...

There is also a late night drunk bus that runs from downtown to the evansdale campus (where the stadium is) but it is very likely that you have to be a student to ride it...I haven't ridden it in almost 20 years...

One of the bad things about Morgantown, is that while there are many excellent spots, there is not really one main pedestrian friendly party zone...High Street definitely comes the closest and there are a ton of bars (60% straight college - 20% mix of clientele - 20% a little more laid back slightly older crowds)...The wharf district is close to high street and has some cool places, and there are some other gems tucked close by...

If worst comes to worst, and the weather is decent, you can walk between the two campuses without too much trouble...only 2 or 3 miles apart but pretty hilly...or try to hitchhike (used to be much more popular around town than it is now).

As for gameday and getting to the tailgating lots, the PRT is a good option for the morning and I believe that it always runs for one hour after every game no matter what time the game finishes, unless the University is on holiday (Thanksgiving) in which case it will be shut down completely.
    Good info.

Sounds like we'd probably stay downtown near High Street and take the PRT on gameday, or if we wanted to check out a bar near the Evansdale campus early on. The quarter mile walk from the PRT stop to the stadium sounds like nothing, but I'm leary about a 2 mile walk lugging a bunch of styrofoam coolers. Sounds like hell.

Recruit
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re:Big 12 guide to WVU's home turf

Already looking ahead to making this trip! You would have to think the 'neer fans will enjoy meeting cyclONEnation. They sound similar to us as a fan base IMO.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Good info.

Sounds like we'd probably stay downtown near High Street and take the PRT on gameday, or if we wanted to check out a bar near the Evansdale campus early on. The quarter mile walk from the PRT stop to the stadium sounds like nothing, but I'm leary about a 2 mile walk lugging a bunch of styrofoam coolers. Sounds like hell.
    This sounds like a good plan. The two hotels (in order of priority) to jump on in downtown Morgantown AS SOON AS schedules are released are: 1) The Waterfront Hotel; and 2) The Hotel Morgan (which I believe is now run by Clarion and may have a slightly different name)... What you have to remember is that you are not only competing with other visiting team fans for the hotel spaces but with many, many Mountaineer fans who book hotel rooms in town for the home games.

Also, don't worry too much about lugging coolers around, throw a 12 pack and a bottle in a backpack and come to the tailgate lots and wear your colors...We wouldn't be worth our salt if we didn't invite you in too just about every damned tailgate you pass...There is plenty of beer and food to go around!

Edit: Noticed your sig...Was listening to some Pancho and Lefty just yesterday...

Last edited by Fasnacht; 02-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyence View Post
    Already looking ahead to making this trip! You would have to think the 'neer fans will enjoy meeting cyclONEnation. They sound similar to us as a fan base IMO.
    I think we'll all have a great time...I hope we send a contingent out this year, but I don't expect it to be a large one being the day after Thanksgiving and all...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This sounds like a good plan. The two hotels (in order of priority) to jump on in downtown Morgantown AS SOON AS schedules are released are: 1) The Waterfront Hotel; and 2) The Hotel Morgan (which I believe is now run by Clarion and may have a slightly different name)... What you have to remember is that you are not only competing with other visiting team fans for the hotel spaces but with many, many Mountaineer fans who book hotel rooms in town for the home games.

Also, don't worry too much about lugging coolers around, throw a 12 pack and a bottle in a backpack and come to the tailgate lots and wear your colors...We wouldn't be worth our salt if we didn't invite you in too just about every damned tailgate you pass...There is plenty of beer and food to go around!

Edit: Noticed your sig...Was listening to some Pancho and Lefty just yesterday...
    I think the one that's run by Clarion looks like a good spot. I figured I'd have to get on the phone the minute the Big 12 schedule comes out next year, but I don't want to miss out on this one.