Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

WBB RPI 2/20

NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA.com

After a great week, ISU jumped 10 spots from #49 to #39.

Conference teams:
    #1 Baylor
    #6 A&M
    #11 KSU
    #18 OU
    #39 ISU
    #46 KU (was #34 last week)
    #50 Tech
    #60 OSU
    #64 Texas
    #106 Missouri

After losing Printy, Iowa has unexpectedly gone on a tear and is currently #41 (up from #50 last week). Iowa and ISU are each in a good position to make the tournament.

Kansas is gone. After having a 6-5 record and looking good, they lost Davis, have dropped three straight (now 6-8) and don't have an easy schedule left:
    @ Tech
    v Baylor
    v OSU
    @ OU

Tech, OSU, and Texas are all 5-9 in the conference and desperately need wins to up their RPI and record. Looking at them:

Texas -- remaining games: @ Baylor, v OU, @ Missouri, v A&M. That's brutal other than Missouri. The sheer SOS might pull up their RPI win or lose, but they can't afford more than one loss in that group.

OSU -- remaining games: @ KSU, v ISU, @ KU, v Missouri. The first two aren't easy, but they are winnable (especially vs. us) and they ought to win the last two. If they can win three and find a win or two in the conference tournament, they'd probably get into the mid-40s and have a shot at an at-large.

Tech -- remaining games: v KU, @ A&M, v OU, @ KSU. They should beat KU to get to 6-9, but like Texas they'll have to beat at least two teams they shouldn't to have a shot.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: WBB RPI 2/20

Thanks, good info. Glad we got most of our real tough games out of the way early (I know we have Baylor left). Other teams are now facing what we faced early.

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Rankings - NCAA.com

After a great week, ISU jumped 10 spots from #49 to #39.

Conference teams:
    #1 Baylor
    #6 A&M
    #11 KSU
    #18 OU
    #39 ISU
    #46 KU (was #34 last week)
    #50 Tech
    #60 OSU
    #64 Texas
    #106 Missouri

After losing Printy, Iowa has unexpectedly gone on a tear and is currently #41 (up from #50 last week). Iowa and ISU are each in a good position to make the tournament.

Kansas is gone. After having a 6-5 record and looking good, they lost Davis, have dropped three straight (now 6-8) and don't have an easy schedule left:
    @ Tech
    v Baylor
    v OSU
    @ OU

Tech, OSU, and Texas are all 5-9 in the conference and desperately need wins to up their RPI and record. Looking at them:

Texas -- remaining games: @ Baylor, v OU, @ Missouri, v A&M. That's brutal other than Missouri. The sheer SOS might pull up their RPI win or lose, but they can't afford more than one loss in that group.

OSU -- remaining games: @ KSU, v ISU, @ KU, v Missouri. The first two aren't easy, but they are winnable (especially vs. us) and they ought to win the last two. If they can win three and find a win or two in the conference tournament, they'd probably get into the mid-40s and have a shot at an at-large.

Tech -- remaining games: v KU, @ A&M, v OU, @ KSU. They should beat KU to get to 6-9, but like Texas they'll have to beat at least two teams they shouldn't to have a shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 865
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Our RPI would be better except Kansas is in a tailspin and losing to Mizzou knocked them down.

Iowa won't go any higher unless Michigan beats Purdue on Thursday, and Iowa wins out. Iowa has two bad losses (UNLV #120 and Bradley #149) and Michigan is #37. Iowa is in the tourney based on their above .500 record in the Big 10. The rest of their losses are to solid teams, so they'll be in. They have gone on a tear, but look who their beating - Wisconsin #141, Indiana #199, Minnesota #125, Michigan State #68 - they are all games they should be winning. Their schedule set up nicely not having to play PSU or OSU twice and playing MSU at home.

As for the Big 12:
    I could see Texas finishing 5-13 or 6-12. I wouldn't give them the Mizzou game. Robin has them playing well and they took OU to the wire in Norman, and TAMU to the wire in Columbia. Texas is a disaster, so I wouldn't give this game to them. They will not be in the tourney, and Gail's job is on the line.

TTU - 6-12 / 7-11. They will beat Kansas, and have a shot against OU in Lubbock. OU is up and down on the road, and TTU will be fighting for the tourney.

OSU - is on the verge of losing 4 in a row if they lose at KSU on Wednesday. They lost to KSU in Stillwater. The best they can finish IMHO is 8-10 or 7-11, however their OOC schedule is very weak and have a bad loss to Long Island. They will be on the bubble. I have to wonder if the stress of the season has finally caought up with them. They have not been competitive in their last three games.

Walk On
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Do you guys think they would put us and iowa both in the Des Moines regional?

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

im hoping we get a bid because we are hosting babyyyy

Walk On
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by TCG View Post
    Do you guys think they would put us and iowa both in the Des Moines regional?
    Why wouldn't they?

Side question, is Ames for sure linked to the Des Moines Regional with the seeds like they have here?

Bracketology - Women's College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There is no reason they wouldn't put Iowa and ISU in the same region. They of course wouldn't be in the same sub-regional, but everyone knows that.

With the lower seeds, the committee is not going to go out of their way to send us (or Iowa) to DSM. We'll end up going wherever works best for seeding purposes. I'd put our odds of being in DSM (if we make the tourney) at under 50%.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84

Quote Originally Posted by benman82 View Post
    Side question, is Ames for sure linked to the Des Moines Regional with the seeds like they have here?
    No. Nothing is linked until the brackets are set by the committee.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 865
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by benman82 View Post
    Why wouldn't they?

Bracketology - Women's College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN

Ames is not linked to DSM in any way.

I don't see the NCAA putting both schools in the same regional for the simple fact we are both going to end up with about the same seed. I could see Iowa going to Chicago for the opening rounds.

"If possible, rematches of regular-season games should be avoided in the first- and second-rounds." - This is an "Additional Consideration" from the NCAA bracketing principles.

The problem is since Creme's last projection, there have been some big losses. I don't know if Kentucky will hold on to a # 2 seed after losing bad to Tennessee, and getting beat at lowly Alabama. Nebraska lost to Northwestern, Kansas will fall out, and TTU is probably out.

Creme has a new bracket later tonight, so we'll see what he thinks.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...e2af6bcdc87ae7

Last edited by Three4Cy; 02-20-2012 at 11:30 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Are we happy to be in or do we expect to win? Hard finding a route to the sweet 16. Is it possible to improve 10 more spots in the time we have left? 39/40 is a likely 10 seed, playing a 7 in the first round in Hilton - doable. The second round game against a 2 is iffy. A small improvement in rpi goes to 8/9 which is also a winnable first round and a likely loss in the second. A huge move up to 29/30 might get us a seven which is the same group as an 11. I don't see anything more favorable than a second round matchup with a 2 - unless we drop to an 11.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    A huge move up to 29/30 might get us a seven which is the same group as an 11. I don't see anything more favorable than a second round matchup with a 2 - unless we drop to an 11.
    We'd have to get up to 6 (RPI in the 20-25 range) to avoid a 1 or 2 in the second round (barring massive upset). Agree that 11 probably gives us the best chance to get out of Ames with our seeding outlook at this point.

Although if we some how win @Baylor, that changes things a lot.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by dmb341 View Post
    We'd have to get up to 6 (RPI in the 20-25 range) to avoid a 1 or 2 in the second round (barring massive upset). Agree that 11 probably gives us the best chance to get out of Ames with our seeding outlook at this point.

Although if we some how win @Baylor, that changes things a lot.
    Or make a run through the tournament. Two wins there would be huge.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 67

We have been in the same region as Iowa before. We were on opposite sides of that quarter of the bracket, so we would not have met up until the regional semis. Mred could probably find out what year that was easier than I could if he has the time. I can check and see as well. So it's not outside the realm of possibility for that to happen.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    We have been in the same region as Iowa before. We were on opposite sides of that quarter of the bracket, so we would not have met up until the regional semis. Mred could probably find out what year that was easier than I could if he has the time. I can check and see as well. So it's not outside the realm of possibility for that to happen.
    Nevermind, I found it. We played in the same region in 2001. We were a 2 seed and Iowa was a 4 seed, but had to play at Utah (the 5 seed) due to a scheduling conflict at Carver (they would have hosted otherwise). They lost to Utah in the 2nd round. We advanced to the Sweet 16 before getting clubbed by Vandy in Denver.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    I don't see the NCAA putting both schools in the same regional for the simple fact we are both going to end up with about the same seed. I could see Iowa going to Chicago for the opening rounds.
    It's as easy as putting one in a 7-10 game and the other in an 8-9 game. However, they are not going to go out of their way to make it happen. You can look at the probable 1 and 2 seeds to figure out the possibilities. I'm going to post a brief analysis in the bracketology thread...