Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 100,536, Level: 98
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    9,109
    Points
    100,536
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,398
    Given: 2,465

    Web Development Book Advice

    I would like to expand on my C++ programming by learning Java and some web development. I had an easy time determining the right book to get for Java with my current knowledge but when it comes web development I have no idea. I was wondering if anyone would have some recommendations for pretty much a beginner developer. I like to have an actual book rather than reading online. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.



  2. #2
    Walk On
    Points: 10,053, Level: 30
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    162
    Points
    10,053
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 0

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Saying that you want to learn "web development" is sort of like saying that you want to learn "music" - you should probably start by narrowing things down and picking an instrument. Front-end or back-end development? Language(s)?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 100,536, Level: 98
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    9,109
    Points
    100,536
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,398
    Given: 2,465

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Saying that you want to learn "web development" is sort of like saying that you want to learn "music" - you should probably start by narrowing things down and picking an instrument. Front-end or back-end development? Language(s)?
    I am not totally sure on the language but since I will be learning Java it would probably be wise to use something along those lines. Since I have only basic Java experience currently it is kind of hard for me to determine which direction to go as far as the web development. I have some experience with HTML, Flash, and Python but would need a relatively introductory book. This is kind of a little down the road as I plan on completing the Java book first and it would probably give me a better understanding of which book to purchase for the next step but after I found out it might take up to 3.5 weeks to get the other book, I was hoping to get the other one on the way here soon so I have it when I'm ready.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 8,320, Level: 27
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maloy, USA
    Posts
    54
    Points
    8,320
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I am not totally sure on the language but since I will be learning Java it would probably be wise to use something along those lines. Since I have only basic Java experience currently it is kind of hard for me to determine which direction to go as far as the web development. I have some experience with HTML, Flash, and Python but would need a relatively introductory book. This is kind of a little down the road as I plan on completing the Java book first and it would probably give me a better understanding of which book to purchase for the next step but after I found out it might take up to 3.5 weeks to get the other book, I was hoping to get the other one on the way here soon so I have it when I'm ready.
    You might want to look at JavaServer Faces for web development. There are many free tutorials online if you just do a search on "JavaServer Faces Tutorial". Look on Amazon for reviews if you want a book.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 29,079, Level: 52
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    29,079
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    I'd say learn PHP or ASP.NET. Those would be the most useful.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 158,218, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    11,099
    Points
    158,218
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 689
    Given: 468

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    I'd say learn PHP or ASP.NET. Those would be the most useful.
    Not if you plan on working on any large, enterprise web applications. Most will be Java EE.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 85,141, Level: 90
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC/Chicago
    Posts
    6,727
    Points
    85,141
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 71

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    I'd say learn PHP or ASP.NET. Those would be the most useful.
    Its a good starter for web development but those are mainly meant for small things. Learn j2ee for enterprise applications



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 85,141, Level: 90
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC/Chicago
    Posts
    6,727
    Points
    85,141
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 71

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I would like to expand on my C++ programming by learning Java and some web development. I had an easy time determining the right book to get for Java with my current knowledge but when it comes web development I have no idea. I was wondering if anyone would have some recommendations for pretty much a beginner developer. I like to have an actual book rather than reading online. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    As someone who creates J2EE apps for a living, id say to first make sure you learn the nuances of java then go into web.dev. just remember that stuff like PHP is meant for smaller scale things and J2EE J's much different. It is truly an application while php really isn't, so your knowledge of c++ will help somewhat.

    If you want the full experience then learn AJAX and javascript. That way you could really make a real time type of app



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 45,936, Level: 66
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,389
    Points
    45,936
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 160

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Not if you plan on working on any large, enterprise web applications. Most will be Java EE.
    sounds terrible... who wants to work on gargantuan/difficult to change systems?



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 29,079, Level: 52
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    29,079
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Yeah only for small sites like Facebook.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 85,141, Level: 90
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC/Chicago
    Posts
    6,727
    Points
    85,141
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 71

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Yeah only for small sites like Facebook.
    Actually that is incorrect. In the MVC scheme, php is used in the view mostly (with js, css, html)HOWEVER their controller I.e. services are coded in Java and c++ and the chat system is coded in Erlang. Just because you see .php in thr url doesn't mean that is where most of the stuff is happening code wise


    Last edited by marothisu; 02-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 42,001, Level: 63
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,372
    Points
    42,001
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 30

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    I thought everything was moving to HTML 5.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 29,079, Level: 52
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    29,079
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Actually that is incorrect. In the MVC scheme, php is used in the view mostly (with js, css, html)HOWEVER their controller I.e. services are coded in Java and c++ and the chat system is coded in Erlang. Just because you see .php in thr url doesn't mean that is where most of the stuff is happening code wise
    **** off. Incorrect. How is that incorrect? Even if one page was php then it's not incorrect. I said they used PHP, not 100% PHP. The OP asked about web dev. The web dev part is done in PHP. I don't give a **** about the lower layers.

    Numbers wise they have more php programmers than anything. PHP is used on a NOT small site.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 544,311, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,662
    Points
    544,311
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,931
    Given: 2,952

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    I thought everything was moving to HTML 5.
    HTML is just a language that browsers understand. Things like PHP play by HTML rules.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 49,177, Level: 68
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,308
    Points
    49,177
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 98

    Re: Web Development Book Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    **** off. Incorrect. How is that incorrect? Even if one page was php then it's not incorrect. I said they used PHP, not 100% PHP. The OP asked about web dev. The web dev part is done in PHP. I don't give a **** about the lower layers.

    Numbers wise they have more php programmers than anything. PHP is used on a NOT small site.
    You mad bro?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM