Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 103

Twister Sister Summary - Cyclones win rematch with OU

Sorry about the delay in posting this, but there was much celebration and fun to be had in Ames last night! Our football tailgating crew had this double header weekend pegged early in the season as a time when we could get together again and enjoy Cyclone sports and each others company. Well...and perhaps a little bit of liquid refreshment while we were at it!

Iowa Stateville was primed after a fun victory by the Cyclone men early in the day. It was even better that it was a double header against Oklahoma. Would the women come out flat after such a superb second half on Wednesday? The answer would be no. Instead what we saw was perhaps the best half of basketball in YEARS by a Twister Sister team.

The ladies were firing on all cylinders from the beginning and even a rough game by Pop couldn't slow them down. The defense was sticky. They were hustling and causing OU fits. The only thing that kept this from being real ugly was that OU is a very good team and they hit several critical three pointers to keep themselves in the game. The squad started with the same crew that finished the game on Wednesday. This meant that Moody was on the bench. She wouldn't see action until 5 minutes into the game. In the mean time Cole and Loz were calmly and efficiently leading the team with assists and taking care of the ball.

The first half offensively saw a flurry of threes, effective ball movement, and rebounding. One person that I have to mention was Anna Prins. With Pop having both foul trouble and running into offensive troubles, Prins stepped up and was tough. She scored. She fought for rebounds. She moved as well on defense as I think she ever has. She clearly frustrated her opponents. All she ended up doing was scoring 15 points and pulling down 7 boards. Who wouldn't take that every game from her? Kudos!

It was clear that OU was somewhat in shock in the first half. I know that coach Sheri had to have told them, "See? I told you they would come out and smack us in the mouth. Now what are you going to do?" it seemed that no matter what they did that was good, we did it 3x better. The ladies slowly but surely pulled out to a 43-28 lead behind complete team play. Other than Prins outstanding play covering for Pop, it's hard to pick out any one person as it truly was complete TEAM play. I have to say that when Moody came into the game at the 15 minute mark, she obviously was there with a purpose. She looked like she had something to prove and played like it.

Amazing stat. At the half ISU was hitting over 50% of their shots and had 8 threes to their credit. This seemed like a Sister squad of old!

Now the question was if two halves could be put together in one game? The answer in some ways would be no, but the reason would be more the character of OU than deficiencies by our ladies. Sheri's halftime talk obviously worked because they came out with a quicker step on defense. Their pressure slowed us down and our offense didn't click like it had been. They slowly chipped away at our lead as we missed just enough shots and mid game free throws to allow them to narrow the gap. Our shooting percentage fell slowly and we were out rebounded. The best part was that the ladies didn't fall apart. They hit critical shots at the right times to keep OU at bay. It took the Sooners almost the entire half to finally pull within three. Pop continued to struggle as the refs seemed to have gotten a phone call and called her for blocking fouls several times. To our credit, the team stepped up when their leader was struggling. One of our seniors, Loz, had an incredible night with 22 points and she hit major big time shots at the end of the game to stave off OU. Definitely my player of the game! This lady is playing with swagger right now.

Let's go back to Moody. If I told you she only went 1-7 from the field you would probably think she had another rough game. What if I told you she dished 11 assists? This is where she excelled last night. She did exactly what Cole did Wed. night. She made her team work. Blue ribbon to her for coming back and having a real purpose in her play.

People...we beat a very good team last night 77-71. This team dismantled us early in the season. Last night we showed that we truly belong in the upper echelon of the Big 12. Playing with confidence, this team should scare anyone and I hope they continue to play at this high level. Huge game coming up this week with Mizzou at home. The tigers won their first league game against a faltering KU team yesterday. Destiny is in our hands. We are in 5th place in the league all by ourselves. We are one game in back of KSU with another matchup with them looming. A top four finish is within our grasp, but one game at a time.

Observation. The pink crowd was the best of the season last night. Paid attendance has always been high but butts in seats hasn't. Yesterday was an amazing crowd.

Amazing stat 2 - free throw shooting. Some of you know I've been harping about how critical this is to the success of a team all year. Some said my expectation of having the starters hit a combined 80% was unrealistic. Last nights 83% shooting is what sealed the deal as the ladies hit on 20 of 24 shots. They had ice in their blood. Now that is a nice note to wrap up on. See you back at Hilton!

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Cyclones win rematch with OU

too long. didn't read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by JET View Post
    too long. didn't read.

I know your "Pain" sir jet.......................I read the first paragraph and moved on.

Walk On
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Then you both missed out on a well written recap of a great game. Sucks to be you two!

Also have to give props to Brynn for knocking down two three's early in the game to set the tone.

Crowd was awesome. Wish it could be like that for the game on Tuesday!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Great to take apart OU twice in one day.

Prospect
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Good recap as always, but you are much kinder to the referees than I would be. I got the sense watching on clonezone that not a single call could go our way that second half and Oklahoma would have to pull a gun on our players before they got called. That's probably bias partially stirred up by the announcers being fed up with it as well, but I think that second half would have been much more fluid if not for some very questionable calls that destroyed our momentum constantly.

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Very nice recap! I really enjoy reading them. (Mostly after a huge win like yesterday's.)

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 63

Nice recap - thanks

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Cous,

Thanks for another terrific write up. Great game, great crowd. So good to see the sisters jelling at this time of year. As the game closed out, I mentioned to my wife that I didn't recall seeing Bryne W. too much in the second half. She provided hit a couple of very key 3's early on. Was this for defensive reasons or other?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 1,278

Quote Originally Posted by JET View Post
    too long. didn't read.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    I know your "Pain" sir jet.......................I read the first paragraph and moved on.
    Unnecessary. If you can't handle reading anything over a few sentences, just move on and don't waste anyone else's time by posting.

Glad to see this team has really turned their season around and is on the verge of earning a tourney berth.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    Cous,

Thanks for another terrific write up. Great game, great crowd. So good to see the sisters jelling at this time of year. As the game closed out, I mentioned to my wife that I didn't recall seeing Bryne W. too much in the second half. She provided hit a couple of very key 3's early on. Was this for defensive reasons or other?
    I would say it was for defensive purposes, and the fact that Nikki played much better.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    I would say it was for defensive purposes, and the fact that Nikki played much better.
    I would agree. Brynn looked a step slow on a few possessions. Didn't switch well a few times. Overall she still had a great game and contributed mightily to our win.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I would agree. Brynn looked a step slow on a few possessions. Didn't switch well a few times. Overall she still had a great game and contributed mightily to our win.
    Brynn has been a pleasant surprise this year. I really didn't know what to expect, but she has really been huge for us. She has a great career ahead of her.

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

As to the refs:

Sherri Coale had a chat with the refs with about a fourth of the game remaining. At the time she had the conversation, OU had 7 fouls and ISU had 2. After this conversation, the fouls went to 8-8. I personally don't believe we are a very physical team. Sure, we have our moments, but we racked up fouls at an unbelievable pace.
    All in all, that's part of the game. Luckily we didn't let it affect us. It was a fun game to watch.

Crowd:

The crowd was pretty spectactular IMO. Attendance was 12,454. Pretty impressive with that stat alone. Also, it seemed like most of the crowd was in pink, and that was great to see! I watched the Purdue-Michigan State game yesterday, and it wasn't anywhere near the amount of pink. I understand that it makes a difference that our red is much closer to pink than the Spartan's green, but still very impressed.

Finally, I can't believe that the regular season is almost at a close.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by simville02 View Post
    As to the refs:

Sherri Coale had a chat with the refs with about a fourth of the game remaining. At the time she had the conversation, OU had 7 fouls and ISU had 2. After this conversation, the fouls went to 8-8. I personally don't believe we are a very physical team. Sure, we have our moments, but we racked up fouls at an unbelievable pace.
    All in all, that's part of the game. Luckily we didn't let it affect us. It was a fun game to watch.

Crowd:

The crowd was pretty spectactular IMO. Attendance was 12,454. Pretty impressive with that stat alone. Also, it seemed like most of the crowd was in pink, and that was great to see! I watched the Purdue-Michigan State game yesterday, and it wasn't anywhere near the amount of pink. I understand that it makes a difference that our red is much closer to pink than the Spartan's green, but still very impressed.

Finally, I can't believe that the regular season is almost at a close.
    You are too kind; I would call her chat, and she had a few, working the refs. I sat close to the OK bench (not by choice) and saw her work the refs in the second half as hard as any coach I have seen.