Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 15,893, Level: 38
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    385
    Points
    15,893
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    ...and Chris Corchiani from the NC State-Florida State game. I don't watch a lot of ACC, but this guy is apparently considered the worst ref in the conference.

    Karl Hess ejects Tom Gugliotta - CBSSports.com



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 64,347, Level: 78
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,029
    Points
    64,347
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 46

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    I saw this. Is there any doubt that Googs tore up some campus bar immediately after this?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 115,861, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cybyassociation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,037
    Points
    115,861
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 112

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    He messed with the Googs?



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 363,627, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    12,085
    Points
    363,627
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 616

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    It's time for the attention-seeking refs to go. This guy is definitely one. The refs in our home game against Texas were others (constantly blowing there whistles, 54 fouls in 40 minutes, really?) Most refs are pretty good, but some can't draw the line between basketball game and theater. Refs are more praised when they are hardly noticed, yet it seems some do everything they can for attention.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 64,679, Level: 78
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,048
    Points
    64,679
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    It's time for the attention-seeking refs to go. This guy is definitely one. The refs in our home game against Texas were others (constantly blowing there whistles, 54 fouls in 40 minutes, really?) Most refs are pretty good, but some can't draw the line between basketball game and theater. Refs are more praised when they are hardly noticed, yet it seems some do everything they can for attention.
    Add Ted Valentine to that list.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,858, Level: 64
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,701
    Points
    43,858
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 298

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Googd and Corciani are now even bigger NC State legends. IMO its a joke that we even know refs names. They should be the least noticable part of the game but it seems they are just becoming more and more of it.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 211,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,741
    Points
    211,144
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 363

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Oh Googs, you have a special place in my 9 year old T-wolves fan heart.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 14,970, Level: 37
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    721
    Points
    14,970
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 81

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    ...and Chris Corchiani from the NC State-Florida State game. I don't watch a lot of ACC, but this guy is apparently considered the worst ref in the conference.

    Karl Hess ejects Tom Gugliotta - CBSSports.com
    I'd love to see a student section start in on him for a game. Sure there is a risk you might not get some calls, but that would be funny.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 115,861, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cybyassociation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,037
    Points
    115,861
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 112

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Oh Googs, you have a special place in my 9 year old T-wolves fan heart.
    What about Pooh Richardson?



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 42,303, Level: 63
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,620
    Points
    42,303
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 25

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Was Hess part of the infamous elite 8 game vs. MSU crew? I know Curtis "quick draw" Shaw was the one that showed Larry the door, but I could swear the Hess was there as well.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 215,616, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,119
    Points
    215,616
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 0

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post
    Was Hess part of the infamous elite 8 game vs. MSU crew? I know Curtis "quick draw" Shaw was the one that showed Larry the door, but I could swear the Hess was there as well.
    I don't think so...

    Curtis Shaw - College Basketball Referee
    Frank Bosone - College Basketball Referee
    Lonnie Dixon - College Basketball Referee



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 17,504, Level: 40
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    633
    Points
    17,504
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 35

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    After 15 years of high school basketball officiating, you will likely never please the crowd, so we don't try. On any given call, someone thinks they were jobbed and the side things it is about time you got at least one call correct.

    Athletic directors control wether you get future jobs at their school/conference. I can't tell you how many ADs have reminded my partner and I that our whistles interupt the focus on the kids...just keep it fair. Coaches vote impacts your ability to get state tournament games. While some coaches prefer a tighter called game while others prefer less whistles, most will agree they can live with either if they feel you call the same play consistently throughout the game as well as on both ends of the court.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 211,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,741
    Points
    211,144
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 363

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybyassociation View Post
    What about Pooh Richardson?
    Pooh is a little before my time, I started watching KG's rookie season, so my favorites were guys like Sam Mitchell and Cherokee Parks . I was a pretty die-hard T-Wolves fan right up until I left for college, which coincided with them trading KG to Boston.

    I actually had a 5-minute conversation with my dad at the A&M game compare Chris Babb's defense to a former Wolve's player whose name we couldn't remember. This prompted my father to resort to using the interent and dig up the name Trenton Hassell.



  14. #14
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    It's time for the attention-seeking refs to go. This guy is definitely one. The refs in our home game against Texas were others (constantly blowing there whistles, 54 fouls in 40 minutes, really?) Most refs are pretty good, but some can't draw the line between basketball game and theater. Refs are more praised when they are hardly noticed, yet it seems some do everything they can for attention.
    Good refs are noticed just as bad ones are noticed too. Its all in how they handle tough/tight calls & how they handle situations that seperate them.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,950, Level: 90
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,600
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,605
    Points
    83,950
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 4

    Re: Karl Hess (referee who missed the WVU-Syracuse goaltending) ejects Tom Gugliotta

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberJJJ View Post
    After 15 years of high school basketball officiating, you will likely never please the crowd, so we don't try. On any given call, someone thinks they were jobbed and the side things it is about time you got at least one call correct.

    Athletic directors control wether you get future jobs at their school/conference. I can't tell you how many ADs have reminded my partner and I that our whistles interupt the focus on the kids...just keep it fair. Coaches vote impacts your ability to get state tournament games. While some coaches prefer a tighter called game while others prefer less whistles, most will agree they can live with either if they feel you call the same play consistently throughout the game as well as on both ends of the court.
    I have not officiated in a long time, but I do not recall even listening to the crowd. Yes you heard the din of the crowd, but I can't recall one time where someone said something during the game where I heard actual words.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM