Twister Sister Summary - holy demolition Batman!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Twister Sister Summary - holy demolition Batman!

The hangover lasted exactly one half tonight. For 20 minutes it looked as if Sunday's game had continued and Iowa State was in a battle. And then all hell broke lose…unfortunately for Kansas.

The first half was twenty minutes of missed shots, turnovers, and all around spotty play. The best part, and perhaps most perplexing, of the half was the total domination on the boards that the Sisters showed over the Jayhawks. You could see the difference in this border raiding team as they were playing without the services of super-center Caroline Davis for the first full game. You always hate to see a star player go down for the season like she did and try as they might, KU couldn't overcome that absence.

The lady clones blew out of the gates to hold a 15-6 lead and it appeared as if this might be an easy one. Then the wheels came off as shots that were barely falling stopped altogether and the turnover machine went into high gear. The first half yielded 11 of them altogether…about a half dozen too many. All of a sudden KU was chipping away at the lead pulling within two several times before finally taking the lead right before the half 23-21. ISU had the ball for the last shot with 21 tics left and wouldn't you know it…another turnover right before the buzzer.

The first half was rough all around as evidenced by Pop's 5-15 shooting and Moody's out-of-control play. I don't know how many times I've seen her attempt overhead across the court passes (which are one of the slowest and most dangerous passes to make), but she made several attempts in the first half. Her play on offense and defense was frustrating to say the least. In the scoring column it was obvious that no one was helping much if Pop had 10 of our 21 points. My buddy and I wondered what that half time talk might be. After the game the post game interview asked that same question over and over again with what seemed like only smiles and non-answers in reply.

The second half started with a bang. No, it wasn't a bang. It was an entire bomber payload being dropped square on the KU team. The seniors came out leading the charge as Loz and Cole played the point the entire half. Cole ended up with 11 assists if that tells you anything about what was to come. Our ladies jumped out and ran what seemed like an incredibly fast 17-2 run to open the half and the Jayhawks were completely shell shocked. Not that they didn't try to answer back, but 41-33 would be the closest they would come in what ended up being a 66-47 victory for the sisters. Our offense and defense was firing on all cylinders during the second stanza. Shots hit from outside. Prins, Pop and Loz all made fantastic shots right around the hoop. One highlight was our diminutive Loz driving the baseline, swooping past the KU post for a reverse layin. A thing of beauty. The other highlight inside was a drive by Cole to draw a defender and a nifty pass to Pop who swiveled and scored on a layup. These two senior guards were doing their thing and doing it well.

If you haven't seen it, you need to see the All-American promo video for Pop. Its a thing of beauty. You can find it on Cyclones.com at:
    Poppens Earning Quite The Reputation Nationally - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports
    Tonight, Pop pulled off her usual double double scoring 17 points and pulling in an aggressive 12 rebounds. She was always in the right spot pulling down boards, putting shots back up, and sliding in to take her customary 2-3 charges per game. I honestly think she needs to open a basketball clinic and teach players how to take a charge. She's a professional.

In a rather quiet manner, Pop was followed by Big C with 14 points. After an abysmal shooting day Sunday, she came back to hit 6 of 9 inside and out. Her 3's were backbreakers.

Prins had one of her really good nights of the season. Very strong play offensively and defensively. She hit a beautiful 3 and tallied 9 points. It seemed like she had more rebounds than 2, but she did well tonight.

Moody. Well, with a player like her you take the good and the bad. She really struggled tonight. Her ball handling and offensive work with the ball just seemed lackadaisical. Those aforementioned overhead passes. Four turnovers (I was guessing higher), no assists, and 3 points. She sat the entire second half in this one. The sisters had 11 turnovers and 21 points under her guidance in the first half. They had 4 turnovers and scored 45 points in the second with her sitting. As Coach Fennelly stated after the game, the team was going to win or lose on the two seniors' backs. They won.

Those two seniors only combined for 16 assists, 5 turnovers, 14 rebounds and 15 points. Those are pretty darn good numbers. Way to go ladies.

The real upside of this one was that bench players like Z and Arganbright got into the game.

Strongest stat of the night? Rebound margin. Our ladies dominated the boards 38-22. Wow.

Points in the paint? ISU 36, KU 18. Do they miss Davis? I would say so.

Other amazing stat? This was a fast game. It was over at 8:40. I'm not sure I've ever left Hilton so early. I definitely was feeling good about the second half of play and hope it carries over to Saturday.

Everyone needs to stick around Ames Saturday. Its one of those rare days where both the men and women are playing at home. Even better? Its pink night for the ladies as they support the Kay Yow foundation. Let's get out there and help support them to a critical win over Oklahoma. The Sisters are currently tied with KU for 5th place in the conference and are one game in back of KSU. If people thought the game against ATM was bad early in the season, the game against OU may have been worse. Its time for paybacks. We just got one and Saturday is time to get another.

Here is the breakdown..
    KU (tied with ISU for 5th) remaining games Mizzou, @TTU Baylor OSU @OU
    KSU (one game ahead) Texas, OSU, @Mizzou, @ ISU, TTU
    ISU OU, Mizzou, @OSU, KSU, @Baylor
    No one has it easy and no one has it overpoweringly difficult. Things should be interesting!
    Come out Saturday and watch round two of this three game home stand. See you there folks!

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - holy demolition Batman!

Looks like it might be time to move Moody to a reserve role?

Rookie
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by HuddleUp View Post
    Looks like it might be time to move Moody to a reserve role?
    I think we are a better team with Moody on the court, but she sure makes a lot of mistakes. But so did Jamaal Tinsley. And we won back to back conference championships with Tinsley.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by el tornado View Post
    I think we are a better team with Moody on the court, but she sure makes a lot of mistakes. But so did Jamaal Tinsley. And we won back to back conference championships with Tinsley.
    I would likely agreed until Cole's second half performance last night. She really turned it up a notch, especially on offense. Moody will be great, will just take a little more time and patience.

I think the biggest game of the season is coming up Sat.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Maybe Moody should play some 2-guard while in there to take some pressure off her. She's definitely hit the freshman wall, and we absolutely need her this last stretch of the season.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    I would likely agreed until Cole's second half performance last night. She really turned it up a notch, especially on offense. Moody will be great, will just take a little more time and patience.

I think the biggest game of the season is coming up Sat.
    I think the biggest game of the season, right now, is always going to be the next one. We don't have a big margin of error right now.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Thanks for the summary as always.

You forgot to mention Brynn. Her two threes to open the second were huge -- they erased the deficit, energized the crowd, and opened up the court for the rest of the offense. Very gutsy for her and the team, given her shooting struggles of late.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,001
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 163

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post

You forgot to mention Brynn. Her two threes to open the second were huge -- they erased the deficit, energized the crowd, and opened up the court for the rest of the offense. Very gutsy for her and the team, given her shooting struggles of late.

We are going to need both Nicki & Brynn the rest of the way to get us to the big dance. I feel sometimes people on here forget they are only freshman and will make mistakes just like our sophmores, juniors and seniors do at times. Sometimes setting out for a while and watching is a great learning tool.

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    We are going to need both Nicki & Brynn the rest of the way to get us to the big dance. I feel sometimes people on here forget they are only freshman and will make mistakes just like our sophmores, juniors and seniors do at times. Sometimes setting out for a while and watching is a great learning tool.
    I swear, I've never seen Coach S. looking as displeased as she was going off to the halftime locker room. The seniors seemed absolutely determined in the second half, and they should share the quarterbacking the rest of the year, as far as I'm concerned. The future rests on Nikki, but we can't afford a misstep and still make the dance. Let Nikki bring it up, but give the keys to the seniors.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

+1

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
    I swear, I've never seen Coach S. looking as displeased as she was going off to the halftime locker room. The seniors seemed absolutely determined in the second half, and they should share the quarterbacking the rest of the year, as far as I'm concerned. The future rests on Nikki, but we can't afford a misstep and still make the dance. Let Nikki bring it up, but give the keys to the seniors.
    Only Lauren plays more minutes than Nikki and Moody ties Hallie in second place behind Pop (14 PPG) at 9 PPG. Nikki's benching was out of need to trim turnovers but it was also about creating a spark which is what we needed in this late season lull. If Coach is serious about playing the Seniors I want to see Cole out there starting along side Lauren Oklahoma game. Nikki will have the dibs for the 1 spot next year to start.

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StClone View Post
    Only Lauren plays more minutes than Nikki and Moody ties Hallie in second place behind Pop (14 PPG) at 9 PPG. Nikki's benching was out of need to trim turnovers but it was also about creating a spark which is what we needed in this late season lull. If Coach is serious about playing the Seniors I want to see Cole out there starting along side Lauren Oklahoma game. Nikki will have the dibs for the 1 spot next year to start.
    I think so too, she has shown great headiness at times. I like Chas at the high post, that helps our offensive flow so much compared to putting her on the 3 pt line, where she isn't much of a threat. There is so much she can do from the free throw line.

I hope Hallie and Fallon on working on their wing skills, because it would be nice to see Fallon and Amanda more next year. It is also helpful to bring out new threats at the end of the season, when you have been so completely scouted.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
    I think so too, she has shown great headiness at times. I like Chas at the high post, that helps our offensive flow so much compared to putting her on the 3 pt line, where she isn't much of a threat. There is so much she can do from the free throw line.

I hope Hallie and Fallon on working on their wing skills, because it would be nice to see Fallon and Amanda more next year. It is also helpful to bring out new threats at the end of the season, when you have been so completely scouted.
    Lauren and Cole started the KU game, alongside Nikki.

They played bad in the first half too. Nikki just had some weird passes and was rushing. The fact that Nikki was leading the team in minutes up til Wednesday says we didn't get this far without her. Not too long ago BF benched Lauren for a full half too when she was playing awful.

While Cole and Lauren had great 2nd half - part of that was because people hit their shots and made them look good. We had tons of open good looks at the 3 that didn't go in in the 1st half. For this team, they look awesome when buckets fall, terrible when they don't. That is not a result of who is playing the one.

We need Nikki's speed Saturday. Whether she starts or not, who knows.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

The great thing is that there are OPTIONS at point. The team does not need to solely rely on a single guard in that position. The key is having the right players on the floor at the right time. It was a good tactical (and motivational) decision to play Lauren and Chas in the second half vs. KU. But Nikki has played awesome "for a freshman." She is about ready to set records, which means she has played more than other freshmen guards in the past, and/or better. To really think about what she has had to try to master with the Cyclone offense is rather remarkable. It's not surprising that she has a night when she can't figure it out. Happens to more senior players too.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The great thing is that there are OPTIONS at point. The team does not need to solely rely on a single guard in that position. The key is having the right players on the floor at the right time. It was a good tactical (and motivational) decision to play Lauren and Chas in the second half vs. KU. But Nikki has played awesome "for a freshman." She is about ready to set records, which means she has played more than other freshmen guards in the past, and/or better. To really think about what she has had to try to master with the Cyclone offense is rather remarkable. It's not surprising that she has a night when she can't figure it out. Happens to more senior players too.
    Great point about Moody. I posted earlier in the season that she was doing things that only the best have done. Oters have almost always had a talented senior in front of them.