Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 563

Coaches screaming in the face of players

Greg McDermotts recent outbust on his son got me thinking about the point of embarassing a player on national TV. I have had a coach scream at me in my face to the effect of what Doug (or Taylor Martinez, or the entire Hawk BBall team (chair scene)), and I think I heard the 1st 2 words of the tirade, then the rest went in 1 ear and out the other. I knew I screwed up and believe it or not I was thinking in my mind about how I needed to re-focus and be sharp. I didnt need a coach embarassing and belittling me to get the point across.

Some of you are gonna think Fred Hoiberg/Chris Allen situation. It was different, it didnt go on and on, Fred got his point across and it was done, we saw a better Chris Allen after that. Greg McDermott (Bo Pelini, Fran McCaffrey) should be ashamed of themselves, they were ******** they werent coaching. Especially Greg McDermott you dont do that to your son, and I have 3 of them so I know. Greg should be used to late season meltdowns they happened at UNI, and they happened in the 2nd halves at ISU. The man cant make adjustments to save his life. When a team sees his team the second time in a season they have adjusted but he hasnt.

Rookie
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Re: Coaches screaming in the face of players

It ain't intramurals brother

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    Greg McDermotts recent outbust on his son got me thinking about the point of embarassing a player on national TV. I have had a coach scream at me in my face to the effect of what Doug (or Taylor Martinez, or the entire Hawk BBall team (chair scene)), and I think I heard the 1st 2 words of the tirade, then the rest went in 1 ear and out the other. I knew I screwed up and believe it or not I was thinking in my mind about how I needed to re-focus and be sharp. I didnt need a coach embarassing and belittling me to get the point across.

Some of you are gonna think Fred Hoiberg/Chris Allen situation. It was different, it didnt go on and on, Fred got his point across and it was done, we saw a better Chris Allen after that. Greg McDermott (Bo Pelini, Fran McCaffrey) should be ashamed of themselves, they were ******** they werent coaching. Especially Greg McDermott you dont do that to your son, and I have 3 of them so I know. Greg should be used to late season meltdowns they happened at UNI, and they happened in the 2nd halves at ISU. The man cant make adjustments to save his life. When a team sees his team the second time in a season they have adjusted but he hasnt.
    I don't get this "embarrassing the player". BS. IF they are getting ripped it's because they're not doing something right. Stop being such a nancy. (not you specificially) Just don't get the whole "disrespecting me" card that is played. Man up. Take your licks...get knocked down once..stand up twice. Enough cliches? Anywho. Scream away. I don't understand why it's so wrong to use shame as a motivational tool sometimes. Why do you think we have all these idiots running around these days....because it's not proper to tell someone they're an idiot anymore and look down upon them for being an idiot. /rant

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 354

I'm calling this a Mac hate post more than anything else.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Doesn't phase me, had a hs football coach that would do it and then slap the side of your helmet as hard as he could. Ears would ring for minutes. One hs basketball coach screamed no matter what, so I'm kinda immune to this.

This is college, you got to pick where you went.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

Yelling at a player is one of many tools a coach has at his disposal. Like any tool if used too much it will become ineffective. Using it only when justified can be very effective and drive the point...(when the guy that rarely yells all of a sudden is, it has a huge effect) yelling all the time like Mad Fran, however, isnt very effective.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    I don't get this "embarrassing the player". BS. IF they are getting ripped it's because they're not doing something right. Stop being such a nancy. (not you specificially) Just don't get the whole "disrespecting me" card that is played. Man up. Take your licks...get knocked down once..stand up twice. Enough cliches? Anywho. Scream away. I don't understand why it's so wrong to use shame as a motivational tool sometimes. Why do you think we have all these idiots running around these days....because it's not proper to tell someone they're an idiot anymore and look down upon them for being an idiot. /rant
    I am saying it doesnt do any good they arent listening to it. Now if they coached them after saying wake the **** up then its fine. You can TELL them they are gonna be benched you dont have to scream it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Yelling at a player is one of many tools a coach has at his disposal. Like any tool if used too much it will become ineffective. Using it only when justified can be very effective and drive the point...(when the guy that rarely yells all of a sudden is, it has a huge effect) yelling all the time like Mad Fran, however, isnt very effective.
    This. I think if used when a player has really messed up can be very effective. As far as a coach that screams all the time, I think players can become immune to it, I know I did. However, I think alot of these coaches are such attention @#$%@ at the college level (see Ricky P at UL for example) that they do anything to get the focus on them. I personally am a big fan of the Frank Martin death stare.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BCClone View Post
    Doesn't phase me, had a hs football coach that would do it and then slap the side of your helmet as hard as he could. Ears would ring for minutes. One hs basketball coach screamed no matter what, so I'm kinda immune to this.

Exactly my point, it doesnt do any good.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by BCClone View Post

I'm curious, do you think it motivated you? The question for me isn't does the coach have a right to yell at players, it's whether or not it actually motivates them. If you become immune to it, it seems like it would cease to become an effective motivational tool. I think this is the OP's original point.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I'm calling this a Mac hate post more than anything else.
    Coach Mac is an idiot that ran ISU basketball into the ground (thats a Hate Mac post)

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post

signed, Bobby Knight. ( 902 division 1 career wins)

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    I'm curious, do you think it motivated you? The question for me isn't does the coach have a right to yell at players, it's whether or not it actually motivates them. If you become immune to it, it seems like it would cease to become an effective motivational tool. I think this is the OP's original point.
    Sometimes after getting screamed at I played worse.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by baller21 View Post
    signed, Bobby Knight. ( 902 division 1 career wins)
    Good point possibly an exception, name another SCREAMER that has been successful long term.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

Good point possibly an exception, name another SCREAMER that has been successful long term.

how about Bill Fennelly