Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 238

Here is what JP Should Do for PR

This year in Lincoln they keep playing footage of their UNL astronaut during the ball games with all the razzmatazz Red stuff. Great PR. Now we have a SW IOwan gal who could make a message for ISU to use next year on their big screen. Think JP should make a few calls and see if she might give our team a bosst? What is your opinion nand what would you want her to say such "Clones are the Real deal?"

Radio Iowa: Iowan makes successful launch into space
    Iowan makes successful launch into space

Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
    By Matt Kelley
    A southern Iowa native astronaut rocketed into orbit this morning from a launch pad in Kazakhstan. The mission promises to bring another historic first for Peggy Whitson. The launch of the Soyuz at sunset in Baikonur went flawlessly.
    Stuffed alongside her crewmates, a Russian cosmonaut and the first Malaysian in space, Whitson says her ride this time is nothing like the more-spacious space shuttle. She says the Soyuz is more like putting three people in the front seat of a Volkswagen.
    In a NASA-TV interview, Whitson was asked if she faces any special pressures, being named as the International Space Station's first woman commander. The 47-year-old Whitson says, "I hope not," and laughs. "I think it's special that I get the opportunity to play that role. But I think it's also special to have an opportunity to demonstrate how many other women also work at NASA, so I'd like to be able to do that as well."
    Whitson is a 1978 graduate of Mount Ayr Community High School and she has degrees from Iowa Wesleyan College and Rice University. She recalls watching the Apollo missions on TV as a girl which landed the first men on the moon. Whitson says: "I thought what a cool job. It really didn't become a reality to me, to become a goal, until graduated from high school, which was, coincidentally, the same year they picked the first set of female astronauts. I think that was when I decided I wanted to become an astronaut."
    The Soyuz will rendezvous with the space station around 10 A.M. Friday. Whitson, a Beaconsfield native, will stay aboard six months. Her first trip there was in 2002 as she became the first Iowa woman in space. She was also the station's first Science Officer.
    Already on-board the station is astronaut Clay Anderson, a Nebraska native and the first Iowa State University graduate in space. Anderson is scheduled to be coming home aboard the shuttle Discovery in early November.
    Audio: Radio Iowa's Matt Kelley reports. :47 MP3

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,377
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 293
    Given: 589

Re: Here is what JP Should Do for PR

While its pretty sweet she is an astronaut and went to ISU. Explain to me how an astronaut is going to get a football player pumped up for a game?

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

you could put a cow with a Nebraska hat on the big screen and their fans would probably applaud it...

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    This year in Lincoln they keep playing footage of their UNL astronaut during the ball games with all the razzmatazz Red stuff. Great PR. Now we have a SW IOwan gal who could make a message for ISU to use next year on their big screen. Think JP should make a few calls and see if she might give our team a bosst? What is your opinion nand what would you want her to say such "Clones are the Real deal?"
    Anderson was NOT a UNL astronaut. Clay got his MS in Aer E from ISU, he never attended Nebraska. He just grew up in Nebraska (between Omaha and Lincoln) and happens to be a Husker fan.

I'm going to yell at him next time I see him on site in Houston.

You broke my heart, Clay.

Also, you think having an astronaut give a live message on the JumboTron wouldn't be good for recruiting?

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,127
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

The way I read the article is that there is an Iowan in space but she did not graduate from Iowa State. She is, however, joining an Iowa State graduate who is already in space. Clay Anderson is from Nebraska but attended good ol' ISU. If he would plug I State, it should really raise the hackles of the "big red" (slight intended).

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    you could put a cow with a Nebraska hat on the big screen and their fans would probably applaud it...

What does showing pictures of Callahan on the big screen have to do with anything?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My dad was at the SAC museum yesterday. He told me last night that there is an exhibit there about him. THe funny thing was that in the picture tehy had of him, there was an ISU flag hanging right behind him.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Anderson was NOT a UNL astronaut. Clay got his MS in Aer E from ISU, he never attended Nebraska. He just grew up in Nebraska (between Omaha and Lincoln) and happens to be a Husker fan.

I'm going to yell at him next time I see him on site in Houston.

You broke my heart, Clay.

Also, you think having an astronaut give a live message on the JumboTron wouldn't be good for recruiting?
    Don't be too hard on Clay. I read an article that quoted Clay's wife as being unhappy with the views shown from space during the ISU-NU game. She claimed that Clay supports both the state in which he was raised and the school from where he received his masters. He supposely took both big red and cyclone gear into space, but the TV production focused only on the big red aspect. I smell a steve peterson ("it's all about recruiting") involvement here.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 980
    Given: 520

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

Radio Iowa: Iowan makes successful launch into space
    Iowan makes successful launch into space

Wednesday, October 10, 2007, 11:02 AM
    By Matt Kelley
    A southern Iowa native astronaut rocketed into orbit this morning from a launch pad in Kazakhstan. The mission promises to bring another historic first for Peggy Whitson. The launch of the Soyuz at sunset in Baikonur went flawlessly.
    Stuffed alongside her crewmates, a Russian cosmonaut and the first Malaysian in space, Whitson says her ride this time is nothing like the more-spacious space shuttle. She says the Soyuz is more like putting three people in the front seat of a Volkswagen.
    In a NASA-TV interview, Whitson was asked if she faces any special pressures, being named as the International Space Station's first woman commander. The 47-year-old Whitson says, "I hope not," and laughs. "I think it's special that I get the opportunity to play that role. But I think it's also special to have an opportunity to demonstrate how many other women also work at NASA, so I'd like to be able to do that as well."
    Whitson is a 1978 graduate of Mount Ayr Community High School and she has degrees from Iowa Wesleyan College and Rice University. She recalls watching the Apollo missions on TV as a girl which landed the first men on the moon. Whitson says: "I thought what a cool job. It really didn't become a reality to me, to become a goal, until graduated from high school, which was, coincidentally, the same year they picked the first set of female astronauts. I think that was when I decided I wanted to become an astronaut."
    The Soyuz will rendezvous with the space station around 10 A.M. Friday. Whitson, a Beaconsfield native, will stay aboard six months. Her first trip there was in 2002 as she became the first Iowa woman in space. She was also the station's first Science Officer.
    Already on-board the station is astronaut Clay Anderson, a Nebraska native and the first Iowa State University graduate in space. Anderson is scheduled to be coming home aboard the shuttle Discovery in early November.
    Audio: Radio Iowa's Matt Kelley reports. :47 MP3
    I'm sorry.......I googled the Nebraska thing, and this should not count!

Attachment 768

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 11-08-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Don't be too hard on Clay. I read an article that quoted Clay's wife as being unhappy with the views shown from space during the ISU-NU game. She claimed that Clay supports both the state in which he was raised and the school from where he received his masters. He supposely took both big red and cyclone gear into space, but the TV production focused only on the big red aspect. I smell a steve peterson ("it's all about recruiting") involvement here.
    I'm sure Clay supports both, but I know he's a Husker fan at heart. I've seen video footage from STS-117 of him wearing his Husker shirt during down time, and I recall watching NASA TV while running over the summer and seeing him show off his "N" flag (same one he showed at the Husker game) to a group of students who were asking him questions.

I think I'm more upset than anything that we haven't gotten jack squat on our Jumbotron, but that video was specifically shown in Lincoln during the Iowa State game

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    What does showing pictures of Callahan on the big screen have to do with anything?
    Naw, it's have to be a donkey instead of a cow. Let's not give him too much credit...

Go Cubs Go!