Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why Move to Iowa???

Let me explain a little before you jump all over me...

I love Iowa and have been away for too long, so I have the itch to move back but my wife is an obstacle. She was born in LA and then lived in Tucson, AZ till I moved her away. She loves to visit Iowa on vacation but isn't real excited about the idea of living there.

I need help convincing her and any ideas are welcome. We would have to live in the Des Moines area as I would work at the airport. Please help I need to get closer to the Cyclones so my kids can love them like I do!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 4

Re: Why Move to Iowa???

Great communities. Low crime rates. Good (but getting worse) school systems. Good employment opportunities. Low cost of living. "Iowa Nice" etc.

And above all......you would be 30 minutes from the Jack/Hilton!

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 42

I moved back in 2004 after being away for 13-14 years. It is great to be close to family but the charm and nostalgia of being back here wore off several years ago. I'd like to move on. My wife and I don't have kids which I imagine would be an important consideration.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

Moved to St. Louis after college and I loved it there but my wife who is from Story City wanted to be closer to home, so we moved back. I will never leave Ames again. Its a gem of a small city and DM is close enough when ever I want to do more than Ames has. Oh ya I live 4 minutes from JTS and Hilton.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 2

Just curious what you do that you would have to be at the airport?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    He flies things.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by MileHiCyclone View Post

I love Iowa and have been away for too long, so I have the itch to move back but my wife is an obstacle. She was born in LA and then lived in Tucson, AZ till I moved her away. She loves to visit Iowa on vacation but isn't real excited about the idea of living there.

I need help convincing her and any ideas are welcome. We would have to live in the Des Moines area as I would work at the airport. Please help I need to get closer to the Cyclones so my kids can love them like I do!!!
    I'm not sure how old your children are, but if I were in your shoes, their upbringing would be the #1 factor...and there are lots of reasons Iowa is great for raising children:

A) Low cost of living.
    B) Low crime.
    C) Great public schools.
    D) Great, affordable options for post-secondary education in-state.

There are also some cons to consider:

1) In many school districts, your kids won't be exposed to a lot of diversity (my high school, which was of average size in the state, was 99% WASP). This should be less of an issue in Des Moines, though.
    2) You're 3-4 hours from a major city if you count KC; even further if Chicago is your idea of a "real" city. I.e., depending on what you and your family like to do for entertainment, it might get pretty boring.
    3) Weather...especially if your wife is used to LA.

If your kids are at all like me, I'm sure they'd fall in love with Cyclone sports the first time they walk into Hilton before a game and watch the players warm up or hearing how loud the crowd is at Jack Trice. I hate to say it, but they'd probably feel that way at any university athletic event you take them to, be it ISU or Arizona; it's a pretty impressive thing for any child to see. It was definitely love at first sight for me!

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I moved back from Texas mostly because of the weather. Might not be the selling point you are looking for though.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 208

I know for me, I just love being in the country. The idea of being able to live in the country and still be close to the major metro areas (DSM, CR/IC, Quad Cities) is awesome, IMO. I grew up "in town" (if you can count Corydon as "in town"), but living in a country home would be fantastic, IMO. It's one of the reasons I would prefer not to leave the state after graduation, if I can help it. Plus most of my family is still in the state.

All the other reasons previously mentioned are good, too. And, depending on whether your kids are into sports, baseball and softball are summer sports here (not so much a selling point for the wife, but indirect fire works, too), where in many states they're spring sports (forcing kids to choose between baseball/softball, soccer, track, and golf, rather than letting them play in two of those sports).

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 14

If you move back make it central Iowa--either D.M. or a nearby bedroom or outlying community.

I live in Shmuckeyeville part of Iowa (east-central) and if it wasn't for aging parents and aging in-laws living in town, and a house we like--we'd be moving to central Iowa or perhaps KC, Minneapolis, Denver, etc., in a heartbeat

Prospect
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=DistrictCyclone;2686846]

1) In many school districts, your kids won't be exposed to a lot of diversity (my high school, which was of average size in the state, was 99% WASP). This should be less of an issue in Des Moines, though.
    2) You're 3-4 hours from a major city if you count KC; even further if Chicago is your idea of a "real" city. I.e., depending on what you and your family like to do for entertainment, it might get pretty boring.

The diversity issue is not that big of a deal to me, my school was the same way. Your kids will react the way you teach them to.

The big city thing is what gets to my wife the most. I would be perfectly happy with living in a town of 500.

Weather is a smaller issue, we lived in Joplin, MO for a year so she was introduced to Tornado/Thunderstorms and we live in Denver now so the snow wouldn't bother her either.

Prospect
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    Air Traffic Control

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 796
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 14

Air Traffic Control
    They make some $

DistrictCyclone

[quote=MileHiCyclone;2686885]
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    The big city thing is what gets to my wife the most. I would be perfectly happy with living in a town of 500.
    Maybe you could play up the "we'll be close to several cities in every direction" angle? Chicago, KC, StL, Twin Cities, Omaha, and Milwaukee are all within a half-day's drive from Des Moines, so you'd have plenty of choices for visiting cities when you wanted to.

Living on a coast now, with the ocean to the east and the Appalachians to the west, this mobility is definitely something I took for granted. If I want to go visit another major nearby city for the weekend, my options are basically limited to whatever lies between DC and NYC. Fortunately, that happens to include quite a bit.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 208

[quote=MileHiCyclone;2686885]
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post

The diversity issue is not that big of a deal to me, my school was the same way. Your kids will react the way you teach them to.

Weather is a smaller issue, we lived in Joplin, MO for a year so she was introduced to Tornado/Thunderstorms and we live in Denver now so the snow wouldn't bother her either.
    While it's true there's not a lot of diversity in the state, particularly outside of the metro areas, I agree it's not a huge issue if your kids are raised right. I've gotten a dose of culture shock here in Iowa City with a Chinese roommate last year and a Malaysian one this year, but it's not a huge deal. It did sometimes get tiring, having to explain things that are so mundane to us; the Super Bowl, for example. And I didn't know how to explain it, because the explanations usually needed explaining, too. He was a great guy, and we still hang out from time to time, it's just every now and then that got a little frustrating.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011