Response from KCCI's News Director about kids throwing debris from bridge
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Response from KCCI's News Director about kids throwing debris from bridge

Saw in another post the discussion of the boys throwing stuff off the bridge. After watching the story on the evening news, I sent an e-mail to KCCI's news director about how disgusted I was that their crew just stood there and watched. Here is the response I got the next day. I guess his response makes sense.

Thanks for expressing your concern about our story on the kids tossing debris off the freeway bridge.

A couple of things you should know:

The crew went to the scene after hearing the police scanner report. They got there well after the incident had been under way. Other motorists had seen the problem and called police.

The crew was still two blocks from the bridge - the photographer was zoomed in all the way - making it look like they were a lot closer. As soon as they arrived and assessed what was happening, the reporter started going over to intervene but saw the police car coming up over the bridge. In fact, the officer in the patrol car saw the one boy toss the log over the railing. Viewers could not tell that from the way the video was edited.

In short, the crew instantly recognized it as a dangerous situation, went to intervene but saw the police arriving. We got there at the very end of the sequence of events and were there for only a few seconds when it ended. The video was edited to tell viewers the story of what happened - NOT to tell viewers what our crew did about it. in fact the story ran a lot longer than our crew was actually there at the scene because of the way the shots were repeated and slowed down.

We think this is an extremely dangerous situation. Anyone who drives on the freeway - which is everyone - can recognize that. This is at least the second such dangerous incident we know of in the past week. Our job is to tell the story of what happened as best as we can in hopes that the DOT, police and the community at large can then do their job to figure out a way to prevent this from endangering the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Dave Busiek
    KCCI News Director

Cyclone42

Re: Response from KCCI's News Director about kids throwing debris from bridge

I hope these kids are punished severely. This is no laughing matter, at all. Since I live in Omaha, I don't know the details about this particular incident, but there was an incident a few years ago in Omaha in which a couple of boys tossed a large boulder off a bridge and KILLED a female passenger in a passing car below.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

Interesting response.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A few years or so back, I was visiting a friend. They have some land that is on the Raccoon River valley that they lease out to their neighbor for cows to graze on. Him and I were messing around there, and the KCCI response reminded me of it. They both stunk like bull$#%t.

I can imagine the film crew now; "This is pure gold."

Last edited by herbicide; 10-11-2007 at 11:09 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

Any guesses on where these kids will be in 10 years? Prison? A rundown trailer park? YMCA?

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post
    Any guesses on where these kids will be in 10 years? Prison? A rundown trailer park? YMCA?
    U of Iowa

Last edited by dinger; 10-12-2007 at 12:08 AM.
    Husker Hater

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

Quote Originally Posted by dinger7203 View Post
    U of Iowa

Starter
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by dinger7203 View Post
    U of Iowa
    Rep for you sir... just because its 1040 pm

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    I hope these kids are punished severely. This is no laughing matter, at all. Since I live in Omaha, I don't know the details about this particular incident, but there was an incident a few years ago in Omaha in which a couple of boys tossed a large boulder off a bridge and KILLED a female passenger in a passing car below.
    Actually, the kids were charged with "criminal mischief", the lightest little caress on the wrist the city of Des Moines could find. Which means they're already back vandalizing and stealing to their little hearts' content. Does anyone else here think that "making an example out of someone" has some merit?

And we wonder why our society has problems.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 389

I like the response. The people in the camera crew are not police officers. They police had been called, what else are they going to do? Go over there and try to stop them? Not me...who knows what those kids are like and if they have any weapons on them. Let the police do their job. Not take the law into your own hands.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

Even the police would tell them not to get involved. What's the problem?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I like the response. The people in the camera crew are not police officers. They police had been called, what else are they going to do? Go over there and try to stop them? Not me...who knows what those kids are like and if they have any weapons on them. Let the police do their job. Not take the law into your own hands.
    They're little kids. If they were kids in their late teens I would agree with you, but these kids are so young that you could hold them at arm's length by putting your hand on their head if they got aggressive with you.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    They're little kids. If they were kids in their late teens I would agree with you, but these kids are so young that you could hold them at arm's length by putting your hand on their head if they got aggressive with you.
    True, but in today's world...I still wouldn't do it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    So you would honestly sit there and watch kids potentially kill somebody? How would you live with yourself had someone got killed?

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    So you would honestly sit there and watch kids potentially kill somebody? How would you live with yourself had someone got killed?
    Honestly, if the cops are on their way I'm not going to try to stop them. If that makes me a horrible person, then so be it. I'm not a police officer nor do I want to be one. I may yell something at them but I'm not physically going to do anything.