Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NCAA proposes moving kickoffs to 35

The NCAA football rules committee has proposed moving kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 and to limit the running start by players on the kicking team to 5 yards as a way of keeping players safer.
    NCAA says its injury data indicates injuries during kickoffs occur more often than in other phases of the game.
    The NFL moved up kickoffs 5 yards this past season and touchbacks increased dramatically.
    The committee also proposed a rule that would require a player who loses his helmet during a play to stop participating and leave the game for one play, and proposed changes to rules regarding blocking below the waist and blocking on punt returns.
    All rules change recommendations must be approved by the playing rules oversight panel, which meets Feb. 21.

Read more: NCAA proposes moving kickoffs to 35-yard line - NCAA Football - SI.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 30

Re: NCAA proposes moving kickoffs to 35

5yd run up would greatly decrease the likelihood of recovering onside kicks

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 25

I remember when kickoffs were actually worth watching in the NFL.

These rules are a damn joke. Why don't we just give them flags and they can wear shorts and tshirts to play. Everyone is safer and the cost is next to nothing.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

Some of those "Gunners" basically have a Kamikaze Pilot mentality

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Addict
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

Stupid. If they want to make the game safe, just don't allow any tackling. Two hand touch only. Kick-offs are definitely the most dangerous play, but they are also regularly exciting plays as well. Touchbacks are boring.

And the helmet rule is stupid; why should the player be forced to leave the game for one play? Just put it back on and snap it up.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,325
    Given: 117

as goes the NFL, so goes the college game.

I'm indifferent toward it. The 35 yard line kickoffs didn't ruin the game in the least this year, as far as I'm concerned. There were still plenty of exciting returns, and guys took more chances on returning deep kicks. More touchbacks, but not a huge impact on games, in my opinion. And in college where average leg strength is much, much lower, I think it will have even less of an impact.

Much ado about nothing.

Last edited by Mr Janny; 02-10-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 860
    Given: 1,718

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    And the helmet rule is stupid; why should the player be forced to leave the game for one play? Just put it back on and snap it up.
    I agree. If they are going to make the player who lost his helmet sit out for a play, then if the cause of it was a face mask, in addition to the penalty the player committing the facemask should have to sit out the next play as well. Can you foresee a team trying to rip off a helmet in a pile to get a star player out of the game at a key juncture?

I do think that a lot of players appear to have their helmets poorly fitted. I remember just about ripping my ears off getting mine off and on because the cheek pads are supposed to be tight. So many times I see players casually pulling their helmets off and on with one hand and it looks like they are putting a five gallon bucket over their head. If your helmet moves around a lot while you yank it around by the face mask - even without the chin strap fastened - it is too loose.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,861
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 72

I don't fully understand the mentality of this. Granted, it helps the runners, but eeryone else still has to make a colllision. You can't just not block or not run full speed on coverage because you think it might go for a touchback. Everyone but the runner is still taking a similar hit.

In the end, if you want to eliminate hitting from football, you might as well just eliminate football. It's one of those things that you know the dangers and you do it because you love it. I'd throw the pads back on in a heartbeat.

Addict
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,681
    Given: 973

If they were truly worried about safety and concussions then they should just go back to leather helmets. Would a player use his head like a battering ram if he had a leather cap on his head? For some reason I doubt it.

ďUrgency,Ē Rhoads said. ďThatís exactly what I told our staff. Itís exactly what I told our players. Urgency in getting your job done. Thatís in a 100 percent rate of speed at executing your responsibility ó whether itís a fit, whether itís a tackle, whether itís a route, whether itís a cut-off block. Everybody needs a little bit more urgency in coaching and playing.Ē

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I don't fully understand the mentality of this. Granted, it helps the runners, but eeryone else still has to make a colllision. You can't just not block or not run full speed on coverage because you think it might go for a touchback. Everyone but the runner is still taking a similar hit.

In the end, if you want to eliminate hitting from football, you might as well just eliminate football. It's one of those things that you know the dangers and you do it because you love it. I'd throw the pads back on in a heartbeat.
    Not eliminate, but reduce. There will still be the initial hits you are describing, but each TB would eliminate all of the hits following. Why is there a rule against blocking in the back? Because it is dangerous and greatly increases the chances of injury. On what type of play are there the most blocking in the back penalties? Kickoff returns and Punt returns.

I don't think a rule change is necessary, but I see the logic they are following. It really isn't that big of a deal - didn't it just get moved back to the 30 in 2007?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,325
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Not eliminate, but reduce. There will still be the initial hits you are describing, but each TB would eliminate all of the hits following. Why is there a rule against blocking in the back? Because it is dangerous and greatly increases the chances of injury. On what type of play are there the most blocking in the back penalties? Kickoff returns and Punt returns.

I don't think a rule change is necessary, but I see the logic they are following. It really isn't that big of a deal - didn't it just get moved back to the 30 in 2007?

yep, it's only been at the 30 for 5 years. Was anyone complaining about the number of touchbacks in the 2006 season? Of course not. It's a non issue. Anyone who is championing the "they're ruining the game" cause, and using the proposed change to kickoffs as proof, doesn't know what they're talking about.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    If they were truly worried about safety and concussions then they should just go back to leather helmets. Would a player use his head like a battering ram if he had a leather cap on his head? For some reason I doubt it.
    The NFL and players union could solve the helmet battering ram problem pretty easily if they really wanted to. They could make leading with the helmet and instant ejection with no pay for the game. Subsequently, if a player gets ejected three times for that penalty, the player is done for year. Doubt it will ever happen.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    The NCAA football rules committee has proposed moving kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 and to limit the running start by players on the kicking team to 5 yards as a way of keeping players safer.
    NCAA says its injury data indicates injuries during kickoffs occur more often than in other phases of the game.
    The NFL moved up kickoffs 5 yards this past season and touchbacks increased dramatically.
    The committee also proposed a rule that would require a player who loses his helmet during a play to stop participating and leave the game for one play, and proposed changes to rules regarding blocking below the waist and blocking on punt returns.
    All rules change recommendations must be approved by the playing rules oversight panel, which meets Feb. 21.

Read more: NCAA proposes moving kickoffs to 35-yard line - NCAA Football - SI.com
    The bolded part is a great example of creating a rule to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Limiting players to a 5-yard running start doesn't accomplish anything. I'd bet every single player on a kick cover team can still be at full speed in 5 yards, and the major collisions occur about 40 yards downfield anyway, so what does this solve?

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 1,004

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    yep, it's only been at the 30 for 5 years. Was anyone complaining about the number of touchbacks in the 2006 season? Of course not. It's a non issue. Anyone who is championing the "they're ruining the game" cause, and using the proposed change to kickoffs as proof, doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Yup, they were at 35 recently in both college and the NFL (although that change was longer, can't remember). I don't have a problem with it. The 5 yard running start I'd have to think about a little, but should be ok.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Yup, they were at 35 recently in both college and the NFL (although that change was longer, can't remember). I don't have a problem with it. The 5 yard running start I'd have to think about a little, but should be ok.
    Maybe our kicker can get a penalty on this at a crucial time in a big game...