Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 104

Twister Sister Summary - another win in the books

First five minutes we were incredibly impatient on offense. When we finally started to settle down the ladies were like a machine...a well oiled machine.*Prins really started to turn it on. Nice moves on offense. Showing great hustle. I watched a whole team effort leading to the sisters slowly pulling away in the first half. It starts with good senior leadership.

An early 12-0 run would give the Cyclones separation and the lead kept stretching as the half wore on. Our inside game was dominating. It seemed Mizzou was off balance most of the half. They hit a bucket here and there mainly when ISU defense had a breakdown.

The scary part was that it seemed like our ladies were dominating the game in every facet and Mizzou just kept doing enough to hang around that ten point mark.

Frustration. In one possession Mizzou had three offensive boards and finally got a bucket. Final board nt right through Pops hands. It was one of the few poor defensive stands I saw. Yes, I'm nitpicking here.*

Mizzou was living and dying behind the arc while ISU was hitting 50% of their shots from distance led by the Clone from down under.*

The half ended with ISU dominating inside and out and a big lead of 39-22 although it *ended on a sour note. Coach called a timeout to set up of the last possession and shot. Moody dribbled time off the clock until Mizzou pressured and then she promptly turned it over with a horrible pass leading to a another score by the Tigers.*

At the half we had 9 turnovers and +11 on the boards. Holding Mizzou to 25% shooting while hitting nearly 50% of their own.

The second half started off a bit rocky offensively and defensively. *Mizzou would score 5 quick ones while Big C would miss a 3 and a fast break layup and the team would commit a shot clock violation. The first four minutes were pure ugliness for the sisters. Not only were we missing shots we weren't taking care of the ball as several possessions ended up with turnovers. ISU could only muster 7 points in the first 7 minutes of the half. During this time Mizzou would out score our ladies 10-7.*

I'm not sure what was happening but our ladies in red just didn't come out with the same intensity or swagger in the second half. I'm sure coach told them Mizzou wouldn't roll over for them and they didn't. They kept hanging around as our ladies looked as if they had taken some Valium at the half. In a game in which we should have continued to walk away with we struggled.*

Perfect example of the second half. We have the ball with 5 tics on the shot clock and airball it. Next possession Mizzou has 3 tics left and swish a 10 footer. This was just how the half went for state. *Nothing was easy and we made it tough on ourselves with very sloppy play. Our guards - mainly Moody and Cole - really had a tough time taking care of the ball.*

Pop didn't score a point in the second half until there were only 5 minutes remaining. *Also didn't see much of Prins this half. That was a mystery as well as she was playing in the first half. She would finally appear shortly after the 5 minute mark.

Amazing stat. With 3:30 left ISU had only attempted 15 shots in the half and only made 4. Wow.

Mizzou would close within 12 points at the two minute mark. They would continue to pressure and foul as necessary and the margin just fluctuated around 12-14 points. The game would finally come to a merciful end with ISU winning 65-52.*

Player of the game. Loz. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. She was deadly from deep tonight. It seemed every time Mizzou thought they had a chance Loz would nail a shot for three. She was perfect from the line, hit 60% of her shots, 8 boards, and 21 points. Amazing!

Note - Mizzou's Flores set a single season record for blocked shots in tonight's game. I don't think I've ever seen quite so many of our shots blocked as I did tonight. *It ws only four, but it seemed like much more. She also fouled out for the fourth time in five games.

Board master award for the night. Pop always is a monster but Cole being in double digits on the boards with 11 is worth talking about. She is a work horse out there and deserves mention. Honorable mention is Pop with 10.*

Outside of Loz, Prins and Pop there were no scoring threats tonight from other players. Here is the most AMAZING stat of the night for our ladies. As a team...drum roll please...they hit 18 of 20 free throws. The only two misses were by Pop. Double wow!

Things to work on...assist to turnover ratio. 10 assists...16 turnovers. *Perhaps the bigger issue is being able to come out after having a big lead at the half, put your foot on the opponents throat, and finish them off. Perhaps I should give Mizzou more credit, but I think this is one where we didn't maintain intensity.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 63

Re: Twister Sister Summary - another win in the books

Mizzou kept it close at around 10-12 pts made me really nervous, fortunately we didn't lose.
    I agree with you that we need to put our feet on the opponent's throat right after half time. First, it'll give starters some rest and give the backups time to play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    Mizzou kept it close at around 10-12 pts made me really nervous, fortunately we didn't lose.
    I agree with you that we need to put our feet on the opponent's throat right after half time. First, it'll give starters some rest and give the backups time to play.
    Mizzou wanted an up tempo game and for nearly a third of the clock they pushed hard and quickly fell behind. Switched to a 1-3-1 and slowed their offense down. We then pulled Anna and they made a meager comeback. It wasn't easy to see Missou Coach Robin Pingeton with such a bad season after her great success at Ill. State, time at Iowa State and Alma Mater at St. Ambrose.

Lauren was on fire! Really apreaciate her hard work...what a great representative for Iowa State.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Thanks for the write up. I was at a function last night, so missed to opportunity to listen or watch.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

The sub'ing in the second half was hard to figure. Anna was playing great. Maybe they are trying to manage time heading down this stretch, but doesn't completely explain it.

Thus far, the team has shown it can dominate a second half after a slow start. There have been a few games with strong first halves. Can you imagine what this team can do if it puts together a whole game?