Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Going for 2... (a statistics point of view)

I REALLY hate that we went for 2 instead of 3. I literally cannot believe how few coaches in any sport understand late game situations. Every college team should have some stat grad student they pay $10k/year to advise them on these exact situations.

First things first - Chris Allen is a 3 point shooter on the offensive end. That's it. He's our best ball handler outside of Royce, but he really is below average at finishing so it makes his drives somewhat pointless. Chris Allen shoots 37% from the field and 38% from 3. That means he is better at shooting 3's than 2's, that rarely is the case for obvious reasons. His specialty is set, spotup 3 point shots. He probably does that better than anyone on the team, but he is not a finisher at the hoop.

So why have a guy who doesn't finish well, drive for the 2? That's just dumb in of itself. But back to BASIC statistics. Let's say Chris has a 40% (generous) chance of making that runner over Nash. That means 40% of the time we are going to tie Ok State and go to OT. Let's say for argument's sake, that 50% of the time we win in OT (I would argue it's less, being on the road, but oh well). That means, by Chris Allen taking that shot, we have a 20% chance of winning the game.

Meanwhile, let's say the odds of Chris pulling up and making a 3 is 30%, 8% below his season average. Let's ignore the fact that he was incredibly hot from 3 and made 4 of his last 5 3-point attempts and just say the chance of making it is 30%. That means we'd have a 30% chance of winning the game. THAT'S IT. That simple. By going for the 3, we have a 10% better chance of winning, and that's while being extremely generous to the opposite side. These are absolutely simple statistics, yet nearly every sports coach makes these mistakes and it pisses me off.

The end.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Going for 2... (a statistics point of view)

Quote Originally Posted by ISUPoker View Post
    I REALLY hate that we went for 2 instead of 3. I literally cannot believe how few coaches in any sport understand late game situations. Every college team should have some stat grad student they pay $10k/year to advise them on these exact situations.

First things first - Chris Allen is a 3 point shooter on the offensive end. That's it. He's our best ball handler outside of Royce, but he really is below average at finishing so it makes his drives somewhat pointless. Chris Allen shoots 37% from the field and 38% from 3. That means he is better at shooting 3's than 2's, that rarely is the case for obvious reasons. His specialty is set, spotup 3 point shots. He probably does that better than anyone on the team, but he is not a finisher at the hoop.

So why have a guy who doesn't finish well, drive for the 2? That's just dumb in of itself. But back to BASIC statistics. Let's say Chris has a 40% (generous) chance of making that runner over Nash. That means 40% of the time we are going to tie Ok State and go to OT. Let's say for argument's sake, that 50% of the time we win in OT (I would argue it's less, being on the road, but oh well). That means, by Chris Allen taking that shot, we have a 20% chance of winning the game.

Meanwhile, let's say the odds of Chris pulling up and making a 3 is 30%, 8% below his season average. Let's ignore the fact that he was incredibly hot from 3 and made 4 of his last 5 3-point attempts and just say the chance of making it is 30%. That means we'd have a 30% chance of winning the game. THAT'S IT. That simple. By going for the 3, we have a 10% better chance of winning, and that's while being extremely generous to the opposite side. These are absolutely simple statistics, yet nearly every sports coach makes these mistakes and it pisses me off.

The end.
    I don't think hoiberg told him to go for the 2 point shot. allen said after the game that he saw an opening and went for it. i agree with you tho that he should have shot the 3. i felt like the instant i saw him driving that we would lose the game

CyBer

I like going for 2

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 78

CA is also an excellent free throw shooter. Going for the layup give him a chance at 2 AND a chance of 2 free throws or a plus one.

I liked the call. I'm guessing Okie St was going to defend the 3 at all costs.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 3

Go for three you are on the road go for the win.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

But if we went for three most on here would say Oh we should have went for two.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Baylor is very beatable.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I'm with you. If it was my call, I'd say to spot up and take the 3, especially considering how hot Allen was at that point in time.

But at the same time, no reason to dwell on the past. Can't change it now. Beat the Aggies on Saturday.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

good write up, makes a lot of sense.. But your statistics do not include variables. Were they expecting the three, would he have a good look, could he have got an and 1? I say do what feels right, and is comfortable at the time or open. Time to win at home. Royce could have helped as well by not turning it over in a two on one situation with about 37 sec left with the score tied up.

Last edited by Tedcyclone; 02-08-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 239

So why have a guy who doesn't finish well, drive for the 2? That's just dumb in of itself. But back to BASICstatistics. Let's say Chris has a 40% (generous) chance of making that runner over Nash. That means 40% of the time we are going to tie Ok State and go to OT. Let's say for argument's sake, that 50% of the time we win in OT (I would argue it's less, being on the road, but oh well). That means, by Chris Allen taking that shot, we have a 20% chance of winning the game.

The end.
    Forget paying grad students, I am actually shocked you don't have coaches breaking down your door to pay you to do this in-depth statistical analysis!

You hate when coaches don't follow the statistics you are making up? Want to know what I really hate? When a HS role-player sits back and second-guesses a 10 year NBA vet who also happens to have his team poised for its best season in 7 years.

Maybe it was a gamble. But if I have the choice, my money is on Hoiberg instead of you. Sorry to disappoint.

The End

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Forget paying grad students, I am actually shocked you don't have coaches breaking down your door to pay you to do this in-depth statistical analysis!

You hate when coaches don't follow the statistics you are making up? Want to know what I really hate? When a HS role-player sits back and second-guesses a 10 year NBA vet who also happens to have his team poised for its best season in 7 years.

Maybe it was a gamble. But if I have the choice, my money is on Hoiberg instead of you. Sorry to disappoint.

The End
    What he said.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

I think the kids call that getting pwned

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 220

Speechless
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 294

In retrospect, I would have called the last timeout if we had scooted the ball up court and then had a 2 second play. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn and I am not a grad assistant...just a poster. For grins, I was at first thinking the refs might have put 5.0 seconds on the clock instead of 4.6 seconds.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 587

The end.
    With all due respect, a coach who used solely statistics to make his decisions would be fired pretty quickly.