Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 16,904, Level: 39
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    646
    Points
    16,904
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    I gave it another try this week. Yes, I again attempted to listen to the John Miller sports radio talk show from 2:00 to 4:00. In my opinion, this is the most pathetic sports radio I've ever heard. There is no energy and Miller's theme is clearly the hawkeyes vs all others. Miller has flat out said it was his life long dream to cover the Iowa Hawkeyes. It's clear that hawkMiller has a hawkeye agenda, yet he tries to somehow pretend to be interested in the Clones, Panthers and Bulldogs. Right! In my opinion, he comes across as disingenuous as most topics on this radio show seem to somehow revert back to his hawkeyes. The most comical element of his show is his portrayal to be the iowa hawkeye Dr. Phil therapist for the iowa fans, with his continual consistent effort to jack up their ego by reminding them of past years success and his formula to remedy the future of their recent demise. Knowing the two and three deep depth charts of the past and current teams really speaks little. Get a life, please. His show also clearly has a Steve ***** flavor, who must be Miller's idol. In my opinion the show is a joke.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 118,989, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,578
    Points
    118,989
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 95

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Go easy on Jon. Truthfully, he is going where the money is, and that, unfortunately, is with the bandwagon Iowa fans. They are the majority in this area and they are the ones who call in much more than us ISU fans.

    I do miss *****'s sports talk show, definitely. And I can't believe *****'s name is censored on here.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 185,838, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,383
    Points
    185,838
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 342

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    my only bone to pick with his show is his inability to have serious conversations about why Iowa is struggling.



  4. #4
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Go easy on Jon. Truthfully, he is going where the money is, and that, unfortunately, is with the bandwagon Iowa fans. They are the majority in this area and they are the ones who call in much more than us ISU fans.

    I do miss *****'s sports talk show, definitely. And I can't believe *****'s name is censored on here.
    That's because you have weak research skills



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 118,989, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,578
    Points
    118,989
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 95

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Oh, I saw the thread about it.....just think its kind of lame is all.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 118,989, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,578
    Points
    118,989
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 95

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    my only bone to pick with his show is his inability to have serious conversations about why Iowa is struggling.
    He did pretty good with that today. He says a lot of people he talks to believe Iowa will win this weekend against Illinois, but he does not. Says he hasn't seen anything from their team that would lead him to think that. I agree, and I don't care how much a sandwich game Illinois is having with Iowa, Zook wants to beat Iowa down bad, I think.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 58,441, Level: 74
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,591
    Points
    58,441
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 94

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    I get a real kick out of the Hawkeye Media Mafia acting like this is the first disapointing season they have ever had versus being the THIRD one in a row and getting worse. My years of listening to Dan the Man taught me that ole "We are a young team gaining experience" excuse only works if your Freshmen and Sophomores are somewhat competetive. If they get drilled as underclassmen odds are they won't be world beaters in the future.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 42,630, Level: 63
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    TheHelgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,760
    Points
    42,630
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    I am a resident of St. Louis, and I have to admit that on slow workdays i will occassionally listen to Jon over the Internet. Yes, most of his commentary is filled with hawk kool-aid banter, but he does put Cyclone stuff in there. Plus i get a kick out remembering just how arrogant hawk fans are - of course i don't live with it everyday like most of you.

    Trust me, it is much better than listening to the Mizzou homers that live around here.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 14,693, Level: 36
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mramseyISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, IA
    Posts
    1,019
    Points
    14,693
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    I don't think John does that bad of job. I'd much rather listen to him than Marty and Miller.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 145,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,716
    Points
    145,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by mramseyISU View Post
    I don't think John does that bad of job. I'd much rather listen to him than Marty and Miller.
    No way, I wondered how Miller would handle the show this year with the possibility for disappointment in Football and basketball. Where Miller struggles is he doesnt have the ability to focus on the National scene because he is too focused in on the Hawks. Marty and Miller have been getting better and better, especially since Marty moved back here. They have a much better grasp on the National scene and arent afraid to stir the pot a little bit.



  11. #11
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Anybody who listened to Dumb and Dumber ramble on endlessly about KCCI's coverage of the bridge throwing incident - and can still think Jon has a weaker program - should probably just give up sports talk radio altogether.

    Good God, I wanted to drive my car in to a bridge enbankment - that conversation was so mind-numbing.

    Although I will admit, Ken calling Marty a prostitute did make me giggle - but it didn't need to go on for another twenty minutes (at least)

    And the part of Jon's show I caught yesterday was full of praise for ISU's program - in comparison to iowa's nonetheless. Basically said that ISU's weight facilities are more than adequate, second only to NU in the Big 12. And that Bergstrom beats the bubble hands-down. A couple callers came in somewhat challenging that insinuation, and Jon summarily dismissed them. Not much flavor in the kool-aid, from what I heard.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 10-11-2007 at 08:29 AM.

  12. #12
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 276,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,381
    Points
    276,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 152

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    No way, I wondered how Miller would handle the show this year with the possibility for disappointment in Football and basketball. Where Miller struggles is he doesnt have the ability to focus on the National scene because he is too focused in on the Hawks. Marty and Miller have been getting better and better, especially since Marty moved back here. They have a much better grasp on the National scene and arent afraid to stir the pot a little bit.
    I couldn't have said it better. Jon Miller's life is pretty much devoted to the Hawks with his website and WHO hawk radio shows so I would guess that he doesn't have a lot of time to get up to speed on other sports topics. Therefore, he can really only talk about 2 or 3 topics adequately. And that gets boring. That's my line of thinking anyway.

    I'm loving Marty & Miller ever since Marty moved back to DM. Not sure what changed, but something did and I really enjoy their show.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 25,431, Level: 48
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    redrocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames - West-CY'd
    Posts
    2,244
    Points
    25,431
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 24

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Anybody who listened to Dumb and Dumber ramble on endlessly about KCCI's coverage of the bridge throwing incident - and can still think Jon has a weaker program - should probably just give up talk radio altogether.

    Good God, I wanted to drive my car in to a bridge enbankment - that conversation was so mind-numbing.

    Although I will admit, Ken calling Marty a prostitute did make me giggle - but it didn't need to go on for another twenty minutes (at least)
    I thought the same thing yesterday, I was laughing histerically.



    2009 FLHR - Vivid Black


    I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 337,166, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,907
    Points
    337,166
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 213

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    I heard about that, the M&M show beating the bridge thing to death with a log. Didn't get to hear it personally, doesn't sound like I missed much.

    It's no secret we're really lacking something in central Iowa with sports radio. None of the shows are great or...even good. I'd enjoy listening to a Miller and Miller show one of these days, just to see what that would be like - I think it would be good.

    I will say, and I'm no Packer fan, that slot in on Thursday afternoon when M&M have one of the media guys for the Packers on the show, is some damn good radio. I learn a lot about the Packers, the NFL and football in general listening to that. Now, it's not because of M&M, but that Packer guy knows his stuff and is very, very enjoyable to listen to. I suggest tuning in around 5ish Thursday afternoons, as I've caught it then 2 or 3 times now.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,367, Level: 68
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,029
    Points
    49,367
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 291

    Re: John Miller-Central Iowa Sports Radio

    Quote Originally Posted by acody View Post
    I gave it another try this week. Yes, I again attempted to listen to the John Miller sports radio talk show from 2:00 to 4:00. In my opinion, this is the most pathetic sports radio I've ever heard. There is no energy and Miller's theme is clearly the hawkeyes vs all others. Miller has flat out said it was his life long dream to cover the Iowa Hawkeyes. It's clear that hawkMiller has a hawkeye agenda, yet he tries to somehow pretend to be interested in the Clones, Panthers and Bulldogs. Right! In my opinion, he comes across as disingenuous as most topics on this radio show seem to somehow revert back to his hawkeyes. The most comical element of his show is his portrayal to be the iowa hawkeye Dr. Phil therapist for the iowa fans, with his continual consistent effort to jack up their ego by reminding them of past years success and his formula to remedy the future of their recent demise. Knowing the two and three deep depth charts of the past and current teams really speaks little. Get a life, please. His show also clearly has a Steve ***** flavor, who must be Miller's idol. In my opinion the show is a joke.



    PATHETIC AND LAME...AGREED...

    I would rather watch paint dry than to listen to jondmiller...miller's monotone voice is so annoying that it drives me to well...watch paint dry!!!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM