Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 134

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 964
    Given: 77

Re: Defensive line recruits to add speed, size to Cyclones

I'm very happy with the DL recruiting the past two years. 2-3 years from now, I'd love to see a starting DL made up of Irving, Aka, Pompey, and Cousin. It could be monstrous. and that's not even mentioning the other guys.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I'm very happy with the DL recruiting the past two years. 2-3 years from now, I'd love to see a starting DL made up of Irving, Aka, Pompey, and Cousin. It could be monstrous. and that's not even mentioning the other guys.
    Bevins has a frame at 6'5" which gives him a frame and length that we have lacked at DE. Ferentz' attempt to get him to switch his commit, is telling. KF's success over the years has been building his raw offensive and defensive line recruits into NFL level talent. His number of NFL linemen on current NFL rosters speaks to this. Rhoads was on him early and Bevins has a lot of potential.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    Bevins has a frame at 6'5" which gives him a frame and length that we have lacked at DE. Ferentz' attempt to get him to switch his commit, is telling. KF's success over the years has been building his raw offensive and defensive line recruits into NFL level talent. His number of NFL linemen on current NFL rosters speaks to this. Rhoads was on him early and Bevins has a lot of potential.

I'm not forgetting him. I'd be just as happy with him as a starter, as I would be with anyone else. and that is an accomplishment in itself. For the coaching staff to not only acquire talent, but depth as well, is a major step forward for ISU.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 13

Good. Cause I have absolutely hated seeing the opposing QB standing still for 15 seconds before our secondary breaks down that last few years. The lack of pressure has really ****** me off.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 345

Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    Really? You haven't heard of a guy named Irving???

I was going to say, you may not even be naming the best four--especially if you consider that CPR compared Bevins to Jordan Carstens suggested to me that he may well end up the guy inside next to Pompey.

Ian, not a bad piece, but perhaps you should have reached out more, researched, instead of beginning with a simplistic, preconceived notion, and attempting to fit your facts to it. For example, it's not Mitch Meyers "bulk" that most thrills the Cyclone coaches, but his phenomenal athleticism. With a vertical jump in the mid-thirties, and a 40 in the low 4.6's, it is his sheer athleticism that they are looking forward to putting out there. That is just one example. Still, thanks very much!

Oh, btw--I have to think that it's kind of funny, all of the attention given to wrestlers in this class, and how great of football players they make. After all...David Irving was a basketball player.

Signed, a former hoopster.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post

I was going to say, you may not even be naming the best four--especially if you consider that CPR compared Bevins to Jordan Carstens suggested to me that he may well end up the guy inside next to Pompey.

Ian, not a bad piece, but perhaps you should have reached out more, researched, instead of beginning with a simplistic, preconceived notion, and attempting to fit your facts to it. For example, it's not Mitch Meyers "bulk" that most thrills the Cyclone coaches, but his phenomenal athleticism. With a vertical jump in the mid-thirties, and a 40 in the low 4.6's, it is his sheer athleticism that they are looking forward to putting out there. That is just one example. Still, thanks very much!

Oh, btw--I have to think that it's kind of funny, all of the attention given to wrestlers in this class, and how great of football players they make. After all...David Irving was a basketball player.

What's Macaulay Culkin like in person?

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Irving Aka Pompey and Bevins will be a pretty sick front four.

Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

Publisher
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 134

The reason the attention is being paid to the wrestlers is simple. It's an individual sport and THREE members of the class are currently top-ranked in their perspective classes.

Haven't look, but I find it hard to believe that another recruiting class in America mimics that. It's a pretty unique deal. I'm the one who asked the question that led to Rhoads' quote on the wrestlers last Wednesday. I knew the background of his son's wrestling and coach gave the exact type of quote I was looking for.

And on David Irving, you are correct. But how often does ISU sign a guy of size on the defensive line? Not very.

I enjoyed Ian's piece.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What's Macaulay Culkin like in person?
    I don't understand. Honestly.
    Edit. Oh, I see. Sorry, I'm a little tired tonight.

Well, Janny, I know that me and the rest of the CF'ers must seem like "intellectuals" to you--but we like ya anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    The reason the attention is being paid to the wrestlers is simple. It's an individual sport and THREE members of the class are currently top-ranked in their perspective classes.

Haven't look, but I find it hard to believe that another recruiting class in America mimics that. It's a pretty unique deal. I'm the one who asked the question that led to Rhoads' quote on the wrestlers last Wednesday. I knew the background of his son's wrestling and coach gave the exact type of quote I was looking for.
    Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a legitimate point, just, as a former basketball player who had a constant running friendly battle with wrestlers (which included my best friend, the team heavyweight), I had to defend "our" honor. Basketball players can make just as good football players as wrestlers do.

By the way, I was looking at the state rankings last week. Why is it that while lots of people talk about Bevins finishing second last year, and Seeley finishing first at heavyweight, no one ever never mentions that it must have been Seeley who beat Bevins in the final--since the two schools are in the same class?

And on David Irving, you are correct. But how often does ISU sign a guy of size on the defensive line? Not very.
    I'd honestly guess that we haven't had a guy with anything close to his size and sheer athleticism on defense since since Matt Blair. That's been a while!

I enjoyed Ian's piece.
    Didn't say that I didn't. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I said "thanks"! On the other hand, there is a difference between enjoying it, and recognizing that the slightest bit more effort could have made a substantial difference. After all, since this is online media, I kinda doubt that you put a limit on the number of words, as a print editor would have.

CW, perhaps I am mistaken, but it sounds like you're being a bit touchy. One reason I enjoy CF so much is the indepth analysis, the real meat, not the shallow "fluff" pieces that the print media nowadays is so accustomed to. Please pardon me if I have come not only to appreciate, but to expect a little bit higher level of performance from you and your guys.

Don't mean to sound like I'm on some high horse or something, so I'll wander along now...

Last edited by Aclone; 02-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 540
    Given: 1,117

Well, Janny, I know that me and the rest of the CF'ers must seem like "intellectuals" to you--but we like ya anyway!

Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a legitimate point, just, as a former basketball player who had a constant running friendly battle with wrestlers (which included my best friend, the team heavyweight), I had to defend "our" honor. Basketball players can make just as good football players as wrestlers do.

By the way, I was looking at the state rankings last week. Why is it that while lots of people talk about Bevins finishing second last year, and Seeley finishing first at heavyweight, no one ever never mentions that it must have been Seeley who beat Bevins in the final--since the two schools are in the same class?

I'd honestly guess that we haven't had a guy with anything close to his size and sheer athleticism on defense since since Matt Blair. That's been a while!

Didn't say that I didn't. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I said "thanks"! On the other hand, there is a difference between enjoying it, and recognizing that the slightest bit more effort could have made a substantial difference. After all, since this is online media, I kinda doubt that you put a limit on the number of words, as a print editor would have.

CW, perhaps I am mistaken, but it sounds like you're being a bit touchy. One reason I enjoy CF so much is the indepth analysis, the real meat, not the shallow "fluff" pieces that the print media nowadays is so accustomed to. Please pardon me if I have come not only to appreciate, but to expect a little bit higher level of performance from you and your guys.

Don't mean to sound like I'm on some high horse or something, so I'll wander along now...

Yeah CW, Ians piece needed to tell me who was EVEN with who in this class. That would have really added some meat to it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

I think that wrestling skills - and wrestlers - are generally a distinct advantage at some positions (generally the power positions e.g. OL, DL, LB and RB) while basketball skills - and basketball players - are generally an advantage at other positions (generally the "skill"* positions e.g. WR, CB, QB). In my opinion TE and S (and to some extent LB and RB) are the positions where there is the greatest mix of the skills from both disciplines.

For what it is worth, CW might have been a little sensitive because your initial criticism may have read a little more scathing than you appeared to intend it.

*I cringe everytime I use the term "skill positions" because it ignores the fact that there are just as many skills required for each position on the football field.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,873
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 107

Well then you failed.

When are you going to start writing articles for CF?

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

"I'd honestly guess that we haven't had a guy with anything close to his size and sheer athleticism on defense since since Matt Blair. That's been a while!"

Uh, I'm guessing Reggie Heyward (spelling) may have something very big to say about that. ISU hasn't had any other defensive end with his size and ability.

Hopefully, Irving can develop and become something similar.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    Uh, I'm guessing Reggie Heyward (spelling) may have something very big to say about that. ISU hasn't had any other defensive end with his size and ability.
    I'd disagree. Reggie Hayward was a very good athlete, good enough to excel in the NFL. Both Blair and Irving are freakish athletes, especially for their size.

Part of the legend of Blair was that he could jump and put a quarter on the top of a backboard. Then jump and take it off.