Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 116

Twister Sister Summary - Strong second half carries ladies

Man, talk about a game of two halves…well at least for ISU it was. The first one would be a poster child for the word ugly and really ought to be posted in every Big 12 office with the title, “Beaten with the Ugly Stick.” Fortunately it would be the second half where one team shined today.

Let me start by saying that Big C is starting to remind me in a way of Angie Welle in how she is moving on the court. Hustle stuff with a three point shot! The big problem sometimes is happy feet…she got into position through pure hustle and traveled multiple times. She also made some great plays and I like seeing her show the confidence to run the court the way she did today.

The first half was a clinic of what mistakes in a game can look like. The only positive – and it wasn’t for us – was the clinic Texas put on about what an offensive board looks like. The game would go back and forth before our sisters would hit one of their cold spells. Nearly a nine minute cold spell. It could have meant their demise, but fortunately UT was nearly as cold from the field. Lucky us. One of the frustrations I felt was seeing that Moody sometimes becomes predictable in how she passes and makes it "easy" to get a steal. For whatever reason she had several overhead loft passes in the first half that seemed to hang up in the air forever. Unfortunately some ended up in UT’s hands.

The bright spots in the first half were when ISU had good ball movement. Every time people moved and passed something good happened. Unfortunately it wasn’t often enough. Lack of movement and careless ball control led to too many turnovers. In this case it was both teams as they each had approximately 10 in the first half. Not a good average by either.

There was a moment that I loved when I watched how Fennelly was there to check on Chas when she got hurt (no it wasn’t serious). One of those moments where you get to see a coach’s compassion.

For the entire first half and actually most of the game we had trouble hitting the three. Had great looks, just weren't hitting. 3-14 for the half (2 by Big C) aren't going to help you win many games.

To sum up the first half it just seemed as if we were lethargic. We were in slow motion. It was at its worst during the last 9 minutes of the half. Part of that time saw Pop and Big C on the bench with two fouls each. UT was plain out hustling us in transitions, going after boards, and harassing us with their defense. Frustrating…most of the time Texas was content to sit in a zone. For four minutes we went scoreless mainly because we weren't attacking it. On defense we seemed slow and lost. We were dominated on the boards, but fortunately UT didn't make many of their second chances. For some reason we looked tired. Texas just looked a step ahead of us all half. At the half UT had a double digit rebound lead on our ladies.

ISU would end the half getting 5 points over the last 9 minutes. Ugh. Add to the misery…foul trouble for the Sisters. Prins, Moody, Pop and Big C all had 2 fouls. Free throws allowed UT to extend their lead into the half as our offensive woes really hurt us. We either missed shots or turned it over. It was about as bad a demonstration of ISU basketball in those last 9 minutes as I've seen in a while.

The only saving grace was the last possession of the half. All of a sudden the Sisters were using good ball movement again to go back and forth across the floor finally leading to a Brynn 3 to pull ISU within 4 at the break, 31-27.

Big stat of the half? There were two. We gave up 10 offensive boards to UT and they dominated the boards. Other one? 5 points over the last 8.5 minutes of the half. And another…9 turnovers that led to 9 points for UT. Not pretty. I honestly felt fortunate to be as close as we were.

The second half started off much the same. We were being out hustled in every aspect of the game. When we were on offense UT just was more aggressive and we looked like we didn't care. No energy or sense of urgency at all. Defensively we continued to be a step slow. But…UT was still struggling to get the ball in the hoop. In hindsight…advantage ISU. What could have been a very early problem….Pop picked up her 3rd foul in the first few minutes of the half. At this point she was our only offense and rebounding effort. I was wondering what the ladies were going to do without their ring leader. UT’s cold shooting would allow ISU to not only hang around but draw closer. 38-34 five minutes in.

Lord our 3-point shooting (outside of Big C) was miserable for most of this game. I was sitting there thinking “if this team could just pull together some offense…consistent offense…over a 5-6 minute time period they could literally put this game away” as UT wasn't doing anything to write home about either. Our sisters just seemed to be stuck in a low gear.

Then Moody picked up her 3rd and went to the bench. I wasn't really worried at this point as Loz and Chas have been doing a great job leading the team in the recent series of games.

And guess what happened? You know that little run I was hoping for? It started to happen. ISU got a couple of steals and had some great assists (two leading to Prins buckets) that allowed ISU to take the lead 40-38. Slowly, and in a somewhat haphazard fashion, the Sisters had outscored UT 13-7 to start the half. It just took 8 minutes to do it. It was time and Pop returned to the game and immediately made her presence known. The inside tandem of Pop and Prins would lead to UT’s demise.

First big play…Prins pulled in a rebound and got tied up…she didn't let down and the UT player shoved her down. Technical foul. Unfortunately she missed one, but ISU led by 3 and had the ball. This T would come back to haunt UT later on.

I have to stick in a little observation - I love Pop. I love her style of play. When she gets a rebound…get the heck out of the way. She isn't going to let you get it from her. One of her big boards would lead to a traditional 3 point play and ISU was up by 9.

For ¾’s of the game the free throw bugaboo was biting us again and you just kept hoping it wouldn't come back to haunt us. Add to that Cole was making a few very uncharacteristic turnovers. Ouch. It was as if the clutch in the old truck wasn’t working quite right and we would shift in jerks between smooth riding and trying to get to the next gear.

Just as UT would pull within 6, Big C hit another 3 and then UT turned it over leading to a Pop lay in with 6:30 to go. Then UT's post would argue a charging call and get hit with a technical…her second. She went to the locker room and her replacement (Gayle) also had four fouls. Pop would hit both to put our sisters up by 13. It didn't take long and Gayle would go to the bench due to more Pop hustle. And Pop…she was an ice queen at the line sinking shot after shot.

So what was the difference during the run? ISU seemed to find a different gear from low. They were hustling more, hitting shots with great assists and were rebounding. The rebounding differential was once 31-19 in favor of UT. During the run it closed to 34-28.

The rest of the game would come down to free throws and our ladies didn't disappoint. Unlike earlier in the game they were nailing down the coffin lid at the line and add a dash of insult with more from deep by Big C. Final Score? 71-56 Sisters.

The second half was a demonstration of just how far this team has come this season. They are showing signs of being a legitimate NCAA team. More games to be played with every one critical. The real upside…we have a chance of finishing at least 4th in the conference. Think about that one for a second…especially considering where things were just a couple of weeks ago. Time to go on the road for two this week and both are very winnable. First a date with Mizzou and former ISU assistant Robin Pingeton. Then a rematch with Texas Tech. Will be tougher on their turf, but they are in a tailspin having lost six of seven (just like last year after playing a cupcake pre-conference schedule). Here’s wishing the sisters a successful week and hoping they return home with a .500 conference record!

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Strong second half carries ladies

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    ... For some reason we looked tired. Texas just looked a step ahead of us all half. ... Our sisters just seemed to be stuck in a low gear.
    First big play…Prins pulled in a rebound and got tied up…she didn't let down and the UT player shoved her down.
    Then UT's post would argue a charging call and get hit with a technical…her second. She went to the locker room and her replacement (Gayle) also had four fouls. Pop would hit both to put our sisters up by 13. ...
    Thanks for the summary!

The post-game stated that the team is, in fact, tired, going 9 days without a day off. They have Sunday off and need it.

Prins has been showing a lot of toughness in recent games. It's paying off.

Would anyone have bet that Pop would ever be the choice to shoot free throws off a technical?!? That she was and made both kind of says it all.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm really hoping that the coaches are tired of "Griner this" and "Griner that" and strongly consider Pop for player of the year. Averaging a double-double in Big-12 play when you are "normal" is pretty darn awesome.

Player of the Game is obviously Pop for 27 points and 10 boards. But you really have to love the emergence of Big C who nailed 5 of 8 three point attempts (while the rest of the team were hitting 3 of 20.

The downside in this game was the offensive part of the guard play as they hit 4 of 16 shots. It wasn't pretty, but we won just the same. You go outside of the three bigs and ISU hit a pretty horrible 5 of 24 from the field.

I agree that Anna has started to gain confidence and is playing with strength. She was an offensive presence and without her we have trouble today when Pop was on the bench.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 86

Prins is making a statement - we could be gelling just at the right time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 144

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I'm really hoping that the coaches are tired of "Griner this" and "Griner that" and strongly consider Pop for player of the year. Averaging a double-double in Big-12 play when you are "normal" is pretty darn awesome.

Player of the Game is obviously Pop for 27 points and 10 boards. But you really have to love the emergence of Big C who nailed 5 of 8 three point attempts (while the rest of the team were hitting 3 of 20.

part The downside in this game was the offensive of the guard play as they hit 4 of 16 shots. It wasn't pretty, but we won just the same. You go outside of the three bigs and ISU hit a pretty horrible 5 of 24 from the field.

I agree that Anna has started to gain confidence and is playing with strength. She was an offensive presence and without her we have trouble today when Pop was on the bench.

The guqrds may not have scored much but had 17 assits and the bigs do not score if they do not get the ball. As BF said in the ppost game Pop should take Lauren out for supper to thank her for all the assits (total of 11)

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    The guqrds may not have scored much but had 17 assits and the bigs do not score if they do not get the ball. As BF said in the ppost game Pop should take Lauren out for supper to thank her for all the assits (total of 11)
    Absolutely no doubt about that. This is a TEAM game. If the guards are scoring the opportunities inside would have been far fewer. While the assists were up at 23 (mainly due to Loz with 11) the turnovers were way too high (20) which Loz only had one! So, it was a feast and famine game with several very good aspects and some that Fennelly will continue to work the ladies on.

The plus side is we are continuing to see varying aspects of this team improve every single game. Three players in particular have improved by leaps and bounds - Loz, Prins, and Big C. Pop and Chas have been consistently good and in some ways upped their games. Now if a couple of the bench players shift gears...look out.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

As BF said in the ppost game Pop should take Lauren out for supper to thank her for all the assits (total of 11)

I was very surprised to hear a statement like that from the coach. Not a teamwork comment in my opinion. I doubt that any of the players think that much about personal stats that it would have a monetary value to them. Each player was just doing their job.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by EHdakota View Post
    As BF said in the ppost game Pop should take Lauren out for supper to thank her for all the assits (total of 11)
    I was very surprised to hear a statement like that from the coach. Not a teamwork comment in my opinion. I doubt that any of the players think that much about personal stats that it would have a monetary value to them. Each player was just doing their job.
    Dont think that comment was meant this way. He was defending Loz at the time because a media person brought up her 0 for 11 or something like that. He was basically making the point that Loz played a great game. He also spent much of his presser talking about how well yhe team is playing like a team and working together.

Frankly though what is wrong with the notion of doing something nice for a teamate - coworker as an adult for someone who does a good job or makes you look good at your job? That gets a person really far in life.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Dont think that comment was meant this way. He was defending Loz at the time because a media person brought up her 0 for 11 or something like that. He was basically making the point that Loz played a great game. He also spent much of his presser talking about how well yhe team is playing like a team and working together.

Frankly though what is wrong with the notion of doing something nice for a teamate - coworker as an adult for someone who does a good job or makes you look good at your job? That gets a person really far in life.
    +1
    I don't think there's anything malicious in his comments. In the NFL it is quite common to hear the QB takes the offensive line out for dinner for the great job they've done protecting him after certain games

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Great comments everybody! I hope everyone heard BF's heartfelt comments in the presser about Pollard visiting the locker room and encouraging the team. BF said he got lots of nasty emails from fans (after Schroll left and the team was 0-5) that he never shared with the players. He said Pollard kept encouraging him and that it was so great to see the team come together and do it the Iowa State way. And he choked up and started crying. That is a man who cares deeply about his school, his players, and the WBB program all of us on this message board have grown to love. He's a lifetime contract coach who deserves every accolade, and he's showing us all why right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

Bill Fennelly is a great Cyclone. He will have athletic facilities named after him someday.

This game should give the ladies a lot of confidence going forward.

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Don't you guys think we'll be in bracketology next week, I mean we are ahead of Tech and Texas and they're still in?

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

Quote Originally Posted by TCG View Post
    Don't you guys think we'll be in bracketology next week, I mean we are ahead of Tech and Texas and they're still in?

I think we may be shown as a team on the bubble. Maybe in the "Next 4 out" category or something like that. The women need a couple more big wins against the likes of OU or KST.

Starter
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Precisely! There would be nothing wrong with literally showing someone you appreciate their hard work. However, often such a statement is more like a figure of speech, like 'break a leg'. It's a common phrase. Sorry no controversy there. The team was between a rock and a hard place, but they're not crying over spilled milk. They know they are all in the same boat. Let's not beat a dead horse.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,456
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 445

Exactly, I thought what he was talking about was teamwork. Assists are the metric for good teamwork.