Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NFL on free TV???

I was watching a very interesting program on NBCSP (channel 827 on Mediacom) last night. Bob Costas had several different panels discussing everything from injuries to the cost of going to a game. Two different people, Bob Kraft and Roger Goodell were bragging about how their sport is broadcast on free TV, referring to local brodcast networks. What a bunch of horse hockey. The broadcast networks fall all over themselves to get NFL contracts at astronomical costs. And who do you think pays for that? If you're a cable or satellite customer, you are. Broadcast networks charge cable and satellite providers unregulated fees, which are passed onto the customer. Kraft and Goodell must think we're really stupid, or they are disconnected. Every year you see in the news that some netowrk or another is threatening to go black if the providers don't pay up, and some have. Free my ***.

Last edited by troutslayer; 02-03-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    CYCLONE POWER!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 103

Re: NFL on free TV???

I dont know how much of the cost is passed on to the networks themselves, but most of those charges back to the cable\satellite providers i believe are retransmission agreements with the local affiliates. They are very problematic in their own right (the current law is heavily tilted in favor of the broadcasters), but i dont know that that money goes back to the major networks themselves. Most of the cost of the NFL being on the major networks is covered through advertising revenue, which is pretty sizable.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: NFL on free TV???

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I dont know how much of the cost is passed on to the networks themselves, but most of those charges back to the cable\satellite providers i believe are retransmission agreements with the local affiliates. They are very problematic in their own right (the current law is heavily tilted in favor of the broadcasters), but i dont know that that money goes back to the major networks themselves. Most of the cost of the NFL being on the major networks is covered through advertising revenue, which is pretty sizable.
    The retransmission agreements are made with the parent company. So in the case of the FOX network in Des Moines, it's Sinclair Broadcasting. The most recent was with LIN Broadcasting, who owns KCCI, the CBS affiliate and many other local affiliates across the country. So the money goes to the companies that own the local affiliate. The exorbitant fees that NBC, CBS, and FOX pays for NFL broadcast rights trickles down.

CYCLONE POWER!