Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 58,315, Level: 74
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,472
    Points
    58,315
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

    Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    I hadn't seen this posted here on CF, so sorry if already up. Talks about CFB assistants and salary vs roles on different teams. CPR is quoted in the article and in not so few words calls Bobby Elliot replacable. Interesting read/viewpoints from a few coaches.

    Recruiters are suddenly the ones being recruited - ESPN



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 269,032, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,526
    Points
    269,032
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 417

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    I like CPR's three things: recruiting, caring about the players and teaching the game. Seems like a recipe for success.

    I wonder which our previous coach struggled with and as a result struggled to succeed here...


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 269,210, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,168
    Points
    269,210
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 239

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    I hadn't seen this posted here on CF, so sorry if already up. Talks about CFB assistants and salary vs roles on different teams. CPR is quoted in the article and in not so few words calls Bobby Elliot replacable. Interesting read/viewpoints from a few coaches.

    Recruiters are suddenly the ones being recruited - ESPN
    I think Rhoads realizes that there are plenty of position coaches out there who can do those three things, but with a smaller budget, he is just going to have to do more legwork than the coach at a Notre Dame.

    That sucks for Wisconsin! Losing 6 coaches, damn!



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 58,315, Level: 74
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PabloDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,472
    Points
    58,315
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 29

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    I was also really shocked at Washington's coaching budget. Coordinators at 850k, hell, their Dline coach makes 300k!! Crazy!



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 31,093, Level: 54
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,672
    Points
    31,093
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    Forgive me for this reference but I just watched Moneyball the other night and I couldnt help but think of Iowa State.

    We constantly have to do more with less $$. That means we have to find the best coaches in the price range and not overpay for anyone.

    Also have to have players/coaches that are 100% ALL IN so that the system will work.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 311,683, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    13,670
    Points
    311,683
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 362

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Forgive me for this reference but I just watched Moneyball the other night and I couldnt help but think of Iowa State.

    We constantly have to do more with less $$. That means we have to find the best coaches in the price range and not overpay for anyone.

    Also have to have players/coaches that are 100% ALL IN so that the system will work.

    Thats a pretty good comparison.

    At ISU, we also have to play small ball sometimes with our players. We can't bring in high priced, homerun hitting, free agents (5 star players) that can play right away, so we develop solid guys in our "minor league system" and have kids that are quality starters after a few years in the program. It also seems like the staff at ISU is trying to do this consistently and keep pipelines full so that whenever someone graduates, a solid replacement is ready.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 33,849, Level: 56
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    farminclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,309
    Points
    33,849
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Thats a pretty good comparison.

    At ISU, we also have to play small ball sometimes with our players. We can't bring in high priced, homerun hitting, free agents (5 star players) that can play right away, so we develop solid guys in our "minor league system" and have kids that are quality starters after a few years in the program. It also seems like the staff at ISU is trying to do this consistently and keep pipelines full so that whenever someone graduates, a solid replacement is ready.

    Which we have done a great job at. Look at safety positions. Lose O'Connell, fill in with Washington. Lost Benton this year, looks like Brackens will fill that role perfectly.

    They have been doing a great job. The process won't happen overnight, but we are are on the right track and making great progress.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 37,207, Level: 59
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 643
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    burn587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,547
    Points
    37,207
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Re: Rhoads quoted in coaching article.

    Is it wrong that I saw the OP's avatar and thought it was from the opening of Night Court?


    Last edited by burn587; 02-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM