Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 24

Hoiberg Camp?

Anyone had any experiences at one of these? I'm thinking of signing up my nephew for one of his 2 day camps. He's 8 and practices all the time..I figure as much as he plays, getting some instruction from the best early on could make a big difference. Just curious if anyone knows what to expect at one of these?

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Hoiberg Camp?

I can tell you from my experience, and this was 10 years ago they it was just a lot of games and some fundamentals. However I'm sure it has changed with the different coaches, however it was a lot of fun and I got to meet new people which was worth it. I've actually meet up with a few of the same kids from that camp in college 10 years later.....what the Hell are the chances of that?

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by isuchicago View Post
    Anyone had any experiences at one of these? I'm thinking of signing up my nephew for one of his 2 day camps. He's 8 and practices all the time..I figure as much as he plays, getting some instruction from the best early on could make a big difference. Just curious if anyone knows what to expect at one of these?

Don't expect much in the way of tangible benefits. It's a mass of humanity. It's all they can do not to lose children, let alone develop their basketball skills. It's all about the $$$. But they can be a lot of fun.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I can tell you from my experience, and this was 10 years ago they it was just a lot of games and some fundamentals. However I'm sure it has changed with the different coaches, however it was a lot of fun and I got to meet new people which was worth it. I've actually meet up with a few of the same kids from that camp in college 10 years later.....what the Hell are the chances of that?
    And if he is a big fan of Iowa State its really cool to meet the players, ill never forget that Jamaal Tinsley was my group coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 24

haha. Thanks. I guess if nothing else, would be a fun experience for him. He is already a die-hard cyclone fan..called me on monday to see if the rankings had come out yet. haha

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 0

Sign him up. My son(12) has gone 3 years in a row and has a blast. The kids get to meet the coaches as well as interact with the players. After the first day last summer he told me he was glad he wasn't on Royce's team because he made the kids do pushups if they screwed up. That actually made me feel better about Royce. Another benefit is he has made some friends that he gets to play against when we go to tournaments. Attendance appears to be better in the 2 years Fred was in charge vs. GMac. Jeff Rutter does a great job talking to the parents and making sure everyone is having a good experience. Normally 4-5 kids from our town go and the parents take turns driving. You can stay and watch for as long as you want but If you stay all day it might look a little creepy.