Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies get it right in win

Just got home from a rather pleasant evening in Ames. It all started getting to see an old buddy Hopper and then meeting Cy Ag for the first time. Definitely made my evening that much better! The world of twister sister basketball makes for meeting some great people. Thanks again Cy Ag!

This was definitely a tale of two halves with one thread winding its way through both. Offensively both teams struggled to score in the first half. For the sisters it was Pop who had what Coach Fennelly referred to as her “worst half of her career.” She struggled to defend and couldn’t put the ball in the hoop for anything. Despite it all her motor was still set on high. For the sisters, the first half was missed 3’s, bunnies, free throws…yes they pretty much missed every type of shot on their way to 27% shooting. So just how in the world were they ahead by 2 at the break (30-28)? Defense. They played very salty defense that forced OSU into very poor shooting of their own. All you have to do is look at the final rebound numbers and you get an idea of all the misses. 90 boards. Ninety BOARDS evenly split. Defense was the thread that wove throughout the game and it only got better in the second half.

The big trend in this game was the mismatches with OSU that led to them getting into foul trouble. They definitely had size, but their bigs are slow afoot and our aggressiveness to the hoop started them on their way to big trouble (no pun intended). By the end of the second half their post Keller had fouled out and several others had 3 or 4 fouls apiece. This kept OSU shuffling players and ISU took advantage.

Have to give credit where it was due. OSU has a couple of very fine players. I was very impressed with Young. She is a slim forward that moves well and has a very sweet shot. Early on she caused Pop fits. In the second half not so much as Big C and Pop clamped down on her. I was also impressed with Bryan (#11). She was pretty gritty and contributed nicely to their game.

After the game, Fennelly commented that he “challenged” Pop to play her game in the second half. The ladies knew they had their open looks and should be making the shots. When the buzzer sounded it may as well have been the sound of a buzz saw. The ladies bounced out on a 13-2 run to take immediate control of the game. They kept OSU off balance throughout the first 15 minutes of the half and they never really threatened again. Pop was a rebounding machine, but more on her in a sec. This was a game where our bigs acquitted themselves very nicely. They combined for 47 points. Add to that what our guard court did and you have a recipe for victory. We hit 3’s, jumpers, and layins. We got put backs. About the only struggle we had was at the line. Amazingly, Big C missed 4 free throws…both times two shot fouls. She did get back into the grove and sank several in a row. The free throw queens were Prins and Moody. Anna’s shot was consistently sweet as she hit 4-5 and Moody was an ice queen nailing 7 of 8. As a team we barely hit 70% but when you shoot 33 times…its enough. Imagine just about 5-7 percentage points higher ladies…on a normal Big C night we would be there. In the end, the ladies simply did nearly everything right in the second half and won going away 73-52.

Player of the game? Big C. Coach stated that she and Loz are now wanting the ball…no…demanding the ball. It shows. Big C was everywhere tonight. She hit from deep. She hit close. She scored on misses. She had free throws. 20 points along with 5 boards is a pretty good night. I’ll take that anytime. Close behind was Anna. She had one of her better nights career-wise as she also scored inside and with a sweet jump shot that kept her defenders off balance. 16 points and 8 boards. Nice.

Pop is pop. She came back from a horrible first half to just kick butt in the second. She played with an attitude. I had my dad at the game and he whistled a couple of times when it was clear Pop was ready to rip someone’s face off after a rebound. 11 points and SIXTEEN boards are what we are coming to expect from her. Personally, the play of the game was when she one handed rebounded a missed shot under the hoop and put it back up and in. Beautiful is what it was.

This time I’m talking about Chas Cole. Did she score? Nope. Yet she was active. Very active. 7 boards. 6 assists. ZERO turnovers. She was a rock out there. In command. Confident. Her defense is just plan nasty. She is the fly paper that just sticks to people. She and Loz are finally providing that senior leadership this team so needs. Right now she is some of the glue that keeps this machine together.

So what about Moody? Only 3 assists. 3 turnovers. But again, you see things happen when she is out there. She is starting to not play like a freshman. You can see the experience. Yes, there are still some boneheaded mistakes. When it came to free throws (as I mentioned) she did what a good point guard does…sink them.

I saw something tonight I hadn’t noticed before. I alluded to this earlier. Loz is playing with a purpose. She looks and acts like a senior. She wants the ball. She wants to shoot. She has this look in her eye that I like seeing. Her shots from deep tonight were daggers.

One last comment. The officials in the Big 12 have left much to be desired all season. While this trio missed some calls as all do, I felt they called a pretty consistent game overall. Is it easier to say that when your team shoots 33 free throws? Probably, but the calls were right. If this crew had officiated for an ATM game half of the ATM squad would foul out. They didn’t let this one get out of hand.

So…one down and the first half of the season is over. The ladies sit at 3-6 in conference play and have paybacks to Texas coming Saturday. Remember, they won on a last second shot down there last month (yes that nasty January is over!). Show up. Yell. Scream. Support your local women’s basketball team. Its time to make a run towards the post season and the next step is on Pink day Saturday. See you then!

Last edited by acoustimac; 02-02-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies get it right in win

I think your praise of Chas was right on; she has almost become a lock-down defender. I noticed that in the second half, Moody for much of the time did not appear to me to handle the ball as much as Chas and Loz, but when it came down to the foul-shooting contest in the last five or six minutes, Moody had the ball more often than earlier because she is solid from the foul line. It was a great win.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Just wanted to point out that the game on Saturday against Texas isn't the pink game. The pink game is February 18th against Oklahoma.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Loz is playing with a purpose. She looks and acts like a senior. She wants the ball. She wants to shoot. She has this look in her eye that I like seeing. Her shots from deep tonight were daggers.
    Lauren loves the game and has become my favorite this year. She is absolutely fun to watch. Her vision and awareness is an assest to push the ball up the court as she does with success.

Watch her animated defensive moves! She guards well for the smallest of the regulars; she rebounds a few and can shoot and comes to play. In the Baylor game I think she "tried" to shoot over Griner -- Lauren is that gutsy.

She sees her playing days slipping away, I am sure like all Seniors. But the ladies are on to something here. With a little better shooting our team may not have to face Baylor right off the bat in KC.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 986
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonealum195 View Post
    Just wanted to point out that the game on Saturday against Texas isn't the pink game. The pink game is February 18th against Oklahoma.
    Thanks for pointing that out! It was last year (I believe) that the Texas game was Pink! I've got big plans for the double header on the 18th and probably had that on my mind when I called this weekend's game erroneously.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 3,754

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Just got home from a rather pleasant evening in Ames...
    ...See you then!
    Thanks for the summary. I tried to rep you but...

It would really help us to read these if you would do a double return at the end of your paragraphs so there is an empty line between. It can be really tough to follow without breaking it up a bit.

Thanks again.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 986
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Thanks for the summary. I tried to rep you but...

It would really help us to read these if you would do a double return at the end of your paragraphs so there is an empty line between. It can be really tough to follow without breaking it up a bit.

Thanks again.
    I type these up in a word processor with double spaces between paragraphs. Somehow...and its only once in a while...the spaces disappear!