Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

Getting a bike.

After years of running, I am just bored with it, and want to try something new this year. So I am thinking of getting a bike and hitting the trestle trail every weekend. Any experts out there on what kind of bike to get? I was thinking either a trek fx 7.5 hybrid 7.5 FX - Trek Bicycle or a 2.1 2.1 - Trek Bicycle

Most of the rides will be with friends who mostly have road bikes, but a few will still be with the kids, which is why I think a hybrid may be nice. Of course I have a low end trek mountain bike, so that would be fine to just ride with the kids. Are road bikes that much faster/less work?

Thanks

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

Re: Getting a bike.

//Note: I'm not an expert. Just a dude that has a bike and wanted something in my size that was quality.//

I have a Specialized Tricross Specialized Bicycle Components : Tricross MSRP is $990. I'm 6'5" and they have sizes large enough to fit me.

It's a Cyclocross (hybrid) type bike as well. They have multiple model lines. The base one linked is what I have from ~2 models ago. Very light weight and easy shifting (brake handles tap left and right to shift). I like to have handlebars with multiple griping locations. Tires are less aggressive than a mountain bike but provide a wider tire than a dedicated road bike.

Last edited by ISUAgronomist; 02-01-2012 at 07:07 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Road bikes are so much more efficient that mountain bikes and it's not even close. I don't have much experience w/ hybrids, and no experience on the Trestle Trail.

I consider myself a highly skilled mountain biker, and on the cusp of beginner/intermediate road biking. Done stages of Ride the Rockies and RAGBRAI. I've found that on a road bike, you can be gassed as far as breathing, but your muscles won't wear out nearly as fast as on an mountain bike. And you won't be gassed as fast as you would be on a mountain bike

A standard mountain bike -- a low end Trek is better than a WalMart bike -- would be sufficient for a casual ride w/ friends, especially with kids in tow. If the Trestle Trail is bumpy, crosses a lot of railroad tracks, or crosses a wooden bridge (guessing from the name), remember you may want the suspension of a mountain bike even if it's just in the front fork. Road bikes are built stiff and can be a rough ride on gravel, boards, curbs, etc.

EDIT: I'll add that IMO, a hybrid seems like a solid choice, although I haven't ridden one much. I'd think you'll get the efficiency of a road bike and multiple hand positions as noted by the guy above me, but the beefier tires give it more support for varying terrain.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 671

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    //Note: I'm not an expert. Just a dude that has a bike and wanted something in my size that was quality.//

I have a Specialized Tricross Specialized Bicycle Components : Tricross MSRP is $990. I'm 6'5" and they have sizes large enough to fit me.

It's a Cyclocross (hybrid) type bike as well. They have multiple model lines. The base one linked is what I have from ~2 models ago. Very light weight and easy shifting (brake handles tap left and right to shift). I like to have handlebars with multiple griping locations. Tires are less aggressive than a mountain bike but provide a wider tire than a dedicated road bike.

990 smackers?!! I hope that included clothespins and a deck of cards.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Acylum View Post
    I didn't pay $990. Like a car that was MSRP.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 371

You should get a motorcycle. For about the same price you can go a lot faster and you won't sweat.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 363
    Given: 330

Not a bike expert but if you are riding on paved surfaces, you may want to think of a flat-handled road bike or possibly a commuter/city/urban (different companies seem to call them different things). Different riding position and thinner tires make them more efficient than mountain or hybrid bikes, I think. Personally, I like Marin bikes. I bought an entry-level model, the Belvedere I think it is called. Like it a lot!

But I defer to those who have real biking knowledge. If in Ames, Skunk River Cycles is a great place!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

If you'll primarily be riding the high trestle trail, just get something that's nice and comfortable. It's smooth and it's a railroad grade, so there aren't any hills to speak of. If you do settle on something like a hybrid, just get a nice set of road tires and you won't have any problems.

Pro
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    After years of running, I am just bored with it, and want to try something new this year. So I am thinking of getting a bike and hitting the trestle trail every weekend. Any experts out there on what kind of bike to get? I was thinking either a trek fx 7.5 hybrid 7.5 FX - Trek Bicycle or a 2.1 2.1 - Trek Bicycle

Most of the rides will be with friends who mostly have road bikes, but a few will still be with the kids, which is why I think a hybrid may be nice. Of course I have a low end trek mountain bike, so that would be fine to just ride with the kids. Are road bikes that much faster/less work?

Thanks
    I have an entry level Trek road bike (Trek 1000, now the Trek 1.2) and really enjoy the road bike geometry. It's much more comfortable for longer rides (measured by time and/or distance) than a mountain bike. If I were to get another bike I'd probably look at a hybrid since I have no use for a mountain bike but the larger tires of a hybrid would help with some light off-pavement riding.

A local bike shop should be able to help you find the right bike. Test riding before you buy is very important since the comfort can vary quite a bit from model to model. Many shops will also do a free fit (getting all the adjustments setup for you) when you buy a bike from them, and getting a proper fit can make all the difference in your riding comfort.

Buying this time of year may save you some money, depending on how much of last year's stock the shop is trying to get rid of. I bought my bike in March 2008 and got 25% off since it was an 07 model.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by Acylum View Post
    "You think that's a Schwinn!"

But seriously, $990 is cheap for bikes, especially with what Aggie got - he needs a big-*** frame. I'm (only) 6-2 and it gets hard to find frames that will fit. I've got a road bike that is way more than what the OP is looking for. Good stuff, though - float over the hills, slice through the air like a hot knife through butter.

MSRP only $4500. Paid significantly less.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    Buying this time of year may save you some money, depending on how much of last year's stock the shop is trying to get rid of. I bought my bike in March 2008 and got 25% off since it was an 07 model.
    Good advice. Mine was an "old" model as well.

Legend
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 174

I am on my second Trek 1.2 an absolutely love them. The first one was susceptible to being rear ended while on a bike rack on the way to RAGBRAI, but if you can get passed that, they are great. I would strongly recommend you buy used...watch Craigslist and E-bay...especially this time of year. I actually bought my first one off the Bike Iowa fourms. You can find some nice used ones for around $500

Last edited by chuckd4735; 02-01-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

Road bikes are great and require little pedaling. A Trek 2.1 is a great bike for trails and roads. I only have the 1.2 but most friends have that one

Personally I had to buy a cheaper mountain bike in order to ride with wife. I hated riding my road bike at the slow pace she rides at.

In other words buy according to what you will be doing most. There is such a thing as too much bike.

Do buy a trek though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 68

I do a lot of biking -- mountain, road, 17 ragbrais, ride the rockies, triple bypass, leadville 100, gravel rides, cyclocross, and so on. My wife and I have 12 bikes hanging in our garage and if I had room I'd have more.

So if you are a newbie to biking but in pretty good cardiovascular shape, I recommend a cyclocross bike like the Tricross noted above. Also, the Specialized Sirrus is a flat bar road bike that is lightweight yet durable and easy to handle.

My other advice -- get to know a local bike shop and buy from them instead of a box retail. They are far more likely to remember you and help you out with all the components, add ons, clothes, bottles, tires, tubes and other stuff that goes with it. Good luck, hope you have a blast.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 54

Agree with most in this thread. Stay away from a hybrid, you'll hate it and it'll just collect dust before you try and craigslist it for about 1/10th of what you paid.

If you're just doing paved trail riding don't get a mtn bike.

Here's your best idea...go to a local bike shop. Personally I'd recommend Rasmussen's on Grand. Take a look at a few bikes and ask questions.

Fanatic #25