Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Butthurt Kansas/Kansas State Fans

I lol'ed at this thread from a KU forum.

Scout.com: Free Throw differential - a Kevbo research project

"All the talk about Iowa State and free throws made me curious as to the actual differential that teams get when playing home and away. So I looked it up. Results are interesting to say the least. For the purpose of this I just looked the FTA's for both teams and then added and subtracted from there. If KU has 20 FTA's and KSU has 15 FTA's that's a plus 5 for KU and a minus 5 for KSU. Simple. You would expect most teams to be positive at home and negative on the road. I did this for the what I feel are the top 6 teams in the league (KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, UT and Mizzou)

KU is +21 at home and -22 on the road for cumulative -1. Basicallly KU has shot the same number of FT's as their opponents through 8 conference games. To make it even since some teams have played 9 games and some 8, you can divide the free throw difference by games played. KU is at -.125 FTA differential per game

KSU is +20 at home and -15 on the road for cumulative +5. They have played 9 games so they are at +.556

Texas is +42 at home and -38 on the road for a cumulative +4. They have also played 9 games so they are at .444

Baylor is -2 at home and -4 on the road for a cumulative -6. They have played 8 games so they are at -.75

Those 4 teams all average less than 1 free throw difference between them and their opponents. You would not be able to say that any of those 4 teams have benefited from a friendly home whistle or even really got the benefit of the fouls in anyway. As well, each of those 4 teams had at least one game at home where they shot less free throws than their opponents. Now lets take a look at Mizzou and Iowa State

Mizzou is +44 at home and +2 on the road for a cumulative +46. They have played 9 games so they are at 5.1. On average Mizzou has taken 5 more FT's a game than their opponents and they average 11 more FT's per game at home than their opponents. For sake of comparison KU averages only 5.25 more FT's a game at home. Mizzou has yet to have a game where they shot less free throws than their opponents at home

Now we come to the reason I did this project in the first place. Just watching the last two games it was clear to me that ISU has been getting a ridiculous whistle at home. For a team that spends a lot of it's time shooting three pointers (not generally a foul generating shot) that seems dubious. Let's see how it looks

ISU is +57 at home and +13 on the road for a cumulative +70. They have played 9 games so they are at 7.78.

That is a huge insane number. In home games alone they are 30% ahead of 2nd place Missouri. In cumulative they are 52% ahead of 2nd place Missouri and so far in front of everyone else it's not even funny. ISU also hasn't come close to shooting less free throws than their opponent in a game at home this year so far

Now I'm just wondering how and why this is the case. My only summation is that it's because of the boos. It has to be. Officials go in there, get intimidated and give ISU the benefit of the whistle. They certainly benefited from the whistle last night against KSU and against KU on saturday. Sure it's a small sample size, but it still illustrates the point. ISU, up to this point in the conference race, has been getting a pretty crazy FTA differential. With that kind of FTA differential it's no wonder they have started 6-3. If theirs was more in line with the rest of the league, they'd probably be 4-5 or worse
    "

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Butthurt Kansas/Kansas State Fans

Hilton Magic.

:D

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 9

Nah, the refs are always out to get ISU, so this can't be true!

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Prospect
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Imagine what our record would be if we made 85% of our free throws!

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 9

Annnnnd the fact that two Hawk fans posted first in this thread probably won't go over well, lol

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 68

Hack-a-Royce = lot of FTA

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! (I can hear this from Phog all the way to Texas).

Last edited by ISUAgronomist; 02-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuvike View Post
    Imagine what our record would be if we made 85% of our free throws!
    Or if we booed as much as Kansas @ Phog.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    Annnnnd the fact that two Hawk fans posted first in this thread probably won't go over well, lol
    eh, you and ellen are "ok".

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone22 View Post
    I lol'ed at this thread from a KU forum.

Scout.com: Free Throw differential - a Kevbo research project

"All the talk about Iowa State and free throws made me curious as to the actual differential that teams get when playing home and away. So I looked it up. Results are interesting to say the least. For the purpose of this I just looked the FTA's for both teams and then added and subtracted from there. If KU has 20 FTA's and KSU has 15 FTA's that's a plus 5 for KU and a minus 5 for KSU. Simple. You would expect most teams to be positive at home and negative on the road. I did this for the what I feel are the top 6 teams in the league (KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, UT and Mizzou)

KU is +21 at home and -22 on the road for cumulative -1. Basicallly KU has shot the same number of FT's as their opponents through 8 conference games. To make it even since some teams have played 9 games and some 8, you can divide the free throw difference by games played. KU is at -.125 FTA differential per game

KSU is +20 at home and -15 on the road for cumulative +5. They have played 9 games so they are at +.556

Texas is +42 at home and -38 on the road for a cumulative +4. They have also played 9 games so they are at .444

Baylor is -2 at home and -4 on the road for a cumulative -6. They have played 8 games so they are at -.75

Those 4 teams all average less than 1 free throw difference between them and their opponents. You would not be able to say that any of those 4 teams have benefited from a friendly home whistle or even really got the benefit of the fouls in anyway. As well, each of those 4 teams had at least one game at home where they shot less free throws than their opponents. Now lets take a look at Mizzou and Iowa State

Mizzou is +44 at home and +2 on the road for a cumulative +46. They have played 9 games so they are at 5.1. On average Mizzou has taken 5 more FT's a game than their opponents and they average 11 more FT's per game at home than their opponents. For sake of comparison KU averages only 5.25 more FT's a game at home. Mizzou has yet to have a game where they shot less free throws than their opponents at home

Now we come to the reason I did this project in the first place. Just watching the last two games it was clear to me that ISU has been getting a ridiculous whistle at home. For a team that spends a lot of it's time shooting three pointers (not generally a foul generating shot) that seems dubious. Let's see how it looks

ISU is +57 at home and +13 on the road for a cumulative +70. They have played 9 games so they are at 7.78.

That is a huge insane number. In home games alone they are 30% ahead of 2nd place Missouri. In cumulative they are 52% ahead of 2nd place Missouri and so far in front of everyone else it's not even funny. ISU also hasn't come close to shooting less free throws than their opponent in a game at home this year so far

Now I'm just wondering how and why this is the case. My only summation is that it's because of the boos. It has to be. Officials go in there, get intimidated and give ISU the benefit of the whistle. They certainly benefited from the whistle last night against KSU and against KU on saturday. Sure it's a small sample size, but it still illustrates the point. ISU, up to this point in the conference race, has been getting a pretty crazy FTA differential. With that kind of FTA differential it's no wonder they have started 6-3. If theirs was more in line with the rest of the league, they'd probably be 4-5 or worse
    "

maybe it has allot to do with a guy that is so big and powerful that he cannot be defended normally, and because people crash on our 3 point shooting guards who then can drive to the basket and get fouled.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 106

And you would think that their is a conspiracy theory against of us if you read on this board. Against this dolt's theory though, we drive and are designed to get to the line. Fred took this from Floyd, which he always preached that we should MAKE more FTs than our opponent TAKES. If you do that, and you win the rebound battle, you will win a majority of the time.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 96

I've never once heard Kansas fans boo a call. Ever. It's unreal. Not even once. Not a peep. They just carry on like they've been fouled before. Been fouled. Done that. Next foul please. Thank you. No boo. Never. Doesn't happen. Stop me. Puke.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

OMG HILTON MAGIC!

Do these idiots seriously think booing influences officials?

***King of Diplomacy***

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 27

It'd be different if we were +57 at home and -57 on the road. Since we are +13 on the road, all it tells me is we do a good job of drawing fouls, no matter where we are at. I think it can be attributed to Royce doing a majority of the ball handling and driving to the lane.

Another poster said that doesn't make since because we have shot the 10th most three's in the nation, but if you think about it, it makes perfect since. We usually have 4 shooters and Royce. He sets up the offense and draws people inside, allowing him to pass out for an open shot. Or if they don't get drawn inside he drives to the hole and usually gets fouled.

To me, they are just searching for something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    OMG HILTON MAGIC!

Do these idiots seriously think booing influences officials?

This image just earned me a trip to the free throw line...wait what????

Rookie
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

**** em. That's what I always say.