Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90

Thread: 5 More W's

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 48,591, Level: 68
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,159
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    2,697
    Points
    48,591
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 305

    5 More W's

    There's been lots of talk about what it takes to ensure ISU MBB team is invited to the dance. General consensus was it took/takes 21 in the W column to feel comfortable.

    At 16 now with 10 more to play (including 1 game in tourney).

    Assuming for the sake of discussion ISU wins exactly 21 games, where do they come?

    Remaining Schedule:
    @OU
    @OSU
    A&M
    @Baylor
    OU
    Tech
    @KSt
    @MU
    Baylor
    1st Round Game

    Only sure thing games look like Tech and A&M at home.
    OU at home looks pretty doable
    Best shot at road games look like OU/OSU, which are next up. Maybe @KSt.
    Baylor at home might be special w/Hilton Magic rocking the house.

    Anyone want to pick their top 5 best shots at W's?


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 5 More W's

    I think 4 more will get us in.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 135,483, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    135,483
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    There's been lots of talk about what it takes to ensure ISU MBB team is invited to the dance. General consensus was it took/takes 21 in the W column to feel comfortable.

    At 16 now with 10 more to play (including >1 game in tourney).

    Assuming for the sake of discussion ISU wins exactly 21 games, where do they come?

    Remaining Schedule:
    @OU
    @OSU
    A&M
    @Baylor
    OU
    Tech
    @KSt
    @MU
    Baylor
    1st Round Game

    Only sure thing games look like Tech and A&M at home.
    OU at home looks pretty doable
    Best shot at road games look like OU/OSU, which are next up. Maybe @KSt.
    Baylor at home might be special w/Hilton Magic rocking the house.

    Anyone want to pick their top 5 best shots at W's?
    Basically agree w/your synopsis, but really think this our first time in forever we're not 1 and done in KC even if we play well here on out and get the 1st round bye.


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 98,555, Level: 97
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MartyFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Warren Co., IA
    Posts
    1,437
    Points
    98,555
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

    Re: 5 More W's

    Get one of the next two, and win out at home. Those last three road games will be tough to win.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 18,813, Level: 41
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bgprest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    533
    Points
    18,813
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: 5 More W's

    Simple plan... rather than choosing... just win out!!!



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 206,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,428
    Points
    206,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 222

    Re: 5 More W's

    Split the Oklahoma road games and let Hilton Magic carry us through the rest of our home games, that's going to be our ticket to the dance.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,291, Level: 90
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,926
    Points
    84,291
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 96

    Re: 5 More W's

    I think the best chance is to win out at home and pick up one road win. I really don't like any of those road games.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 265,517, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,023
    Points
    265,517
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 530
    Given: 129

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    I think 4 more will get us in.
    No way. 20 wins wont do it. we have a minimum of 10 games left, and if we only win 4 of those, it wont be seen as a positive. 5 wins, depending on where they come, will put us on the bubble. I think the magic number for ISU is 22...if we are at 22 wins by selection Sunday, we will be dancing, no question.

    I dont think its much to ask ISU to win 4 of their next 6, and at least take 1 of those last 3 games. Then go down to KC and take at least 1. Theres your 22 wins.


    Last edited by chuckd4735; 02-01-2012 at 01:30 PM.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 404,747, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,069
    Points
    404,747
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    No way. 20 wins wont do it. we have a minimum of 10 games left, and if we only win 4 of those, it wont be seen as a positive. 5 wins, depending on where they come, will put us on the bubble. I think the magic number for ISU is 22...if we are at 22 wins by selection Sunday, we will be dancing, no question.

    I dont think its much to ask ISU to win 4 of their next 6, and at least take 1 of those last 3 games. Then go down to KC and take at least 1. Theres your 22 wins.
    We win 4 more and we're very possibly 4th in the big 12 (the couple scenarios i've run with beating @OU\TAMU\OU\TTU get us there) . No way the 4th ranked team in the b12 isnt in.

    The whole idea of needing to win 1 in the tourney is a bit antiquated too with the new tourney format. Its not like we jump in and play a low seed, our first round if we're 4th or 5th will be the 4th or 5th seeded team.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 11,522, Level: 32
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on Hwy 30
    Posts
    675
    Points
    11,522
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post
    Get one of the next two, and win out at home. Those last three road games will be tough to win.
    This ^^^

    Do it and we'll be 10-5 (20-8) heading into the brutal last three. Finish off Baylor's title hopes on March 3rd and we finish 21 - 10 going into the BigXII tourney.

    Wish we had the two bad losses back. How would 23 -8 look?



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    No way. 20 wins wont do it. we have a minimum of 10 games left, and if we only win 4 of those, it wont be seen as a positive. 5 wins, depending on where they come, will put us on the bubble. I think the magic number for ISU is 22...if we are at 22 wins by selection Sunday, we will be dancing, no question.

    I dont think its much to ask ISU to win 4 of their next 6, and at least take 1 of those last 3 games. Then go down to KC and take at least 1. Theres your 22 wins.

    Agree... I think we have no chance with 20, 21 gets us on the bubble leaning in and 22 should be comfortably in. Our non-conference is really going to hurt us when they start talking bubble teams. 20 wins and our resume is worse than Va Tech's last year.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 183,461, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,484
    Points
    183,461
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 213

    Re: 5 More W's

    Remaining Schedule:
    @OU W 70%
    @OSU W 50%
    A&M W 80%
    @Baylor L 20%
    OU W 85%
    Tech W 90 %
    @KSt W 50%
    @MU L 20%
    Baylor L 35%
    1st Round Game W

    With percent change that we will win each individual game.

    Puts us at 23-10.

    We will probably drop an easier game at some point and everyone will abandon hope, but then we will probably pick one up somewhere vs Baylor or Mizzou.


    Last edited by Rhoadhoused; 02-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 265,517, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,023
    Points
    265,517
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 530
    Given: 129

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    We win 4 more and we're very possibly 4th in the big 12 (the couple scenarios i've run with beating @OU\TAMU\OU\TTU get us there) . No way the 4th ranked team in the b12 isnt in.

    The whole idea of needing to win 1 in the tourney is a bit antiquated too with the new tourney format. Its not like we jump in and play a low seed, our first round if we're 4th or 5th will be the 4th or 5th seeded team.
    ISU could finish at 4th in the conference and loose their last 4 games. If ISU goes into Selection Sunday on a 4 game losing streak, I don't like their chances.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 91,697, Level: 94
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,453
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Peru, IL
    Posts
    7,464
    Points
    91,697
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 169

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    We win 4 more and we're very possibly 4th in the big 12 (the couple scenarios i've run with beating @OU\TAMU\OU\TTU get us there) . No way the 4th ranked team in the b12 isnt in.

    The whole idea of needing to win 1 in the tourney is a bit antiquated too with the new tourney format. Its not like we jump in and play a low seed, our first round if we're 4th or 5th will be the 4th or 5th seeded team.
    I could actually see this happening. There have been times where the Big 12 only had 4 teams in when the conference was at 12. If there are not 4 teams that the selection committee feels are worthy, I could see them only inviting 3. If we just win 5 more I would say this won't happen though.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 98,555, Level: 97
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MartyFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Warren Co., IA
    Posts
    1,437
    Points
    98,555
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

    Re: 5 More W's

    Quote Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
    This ^^^

    Do it and we'll be 10-5 (20-8) heading into the brutal last three. Finish off Baylor's title hopes on March 3rd and we finish 21 - 10 going into the BigXII tourney.

    Wish we had the two bad losses back. How would 23 -8 look?
    The NCAA selection people do not look at losses to RPI top 100 teams as "bad" losses. ISU fans can look at them that way, but they simply are not that bad.

    ISU problem, if there is one right now, is lack of quality wins. That is one more reason the Baylor game in Hilton will be so big.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM