Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 2,995, Level: 15
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jcal2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Posts
    29
    Points
    2,995
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    ESPN Bubble Watch

    College Basketball Bubble Watch - The great Bubble Watch adventure begins - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

    "Iowa State [15-6 (5-3), RPI: 47, SOS: 75] Hilton Magic is back. That was the common refrain after Iowa State upset Kansas, easily the biggest win in the program's recent history and one that will have Cyclones fans -- so desperate for a return to basketball boom times -- more than thrilled with The Mayor Fred Hoiberg's work in just his second season in Ames. But is it enough to get the Clones to the dance? The jury is still very much out. Saturday's win was a good one, but it was ISU's first victory against top-50 competition; the Cyclones are 2-6 against teams ranked in the RPI top 100. It was great start, but there's plenty more work to do. Tuesday's home game with K-State is huge."



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 206,602, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,446
    Points
    206,602
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 229

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by jcal2001 View Post
    College Basketball Bubble Watch - The great Bubble Watch adventure begins - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

    "Iowa State [15-6 (5-3), RPI: 47, SOS: 75] Hilton Magic is back. That was the common refrain after Iowa State upset Kansas, easily the biggest win in the program's recent history and one that will have Cyclones fans -- so desperate for a return to basketball boom times -- more than thrilled with The Mayor Fred Hoiberg's work in just his second season in Ames. But is it enough to get the Clones to the dance? The jury is still very much out. Saturday's win was a good one, but it was ISU's first victory against top-50 competition; the Cyclones are 2-6 against teams ranked in the RPI top 100. It was great start, but there's plenty more work to do. Tuesday's home game with K-State is huge."
    Seems about right. The tourney is a legitimate possibility, but we need to turn a few of our "could wins" into just WINS.



  3. #3
    Prospect
    Points: 2,995, Level: 15
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jcal2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Posts
    29
    Points
    2,995
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Interesting that the Big 12 has the most "locks" out of the major conferences at this point. Although, after that, there are none that "should be in" (most likely will be there by the end). There are only teams with "work left to do": Kansas St, Iowa St, Oklahoma, and Texas. Seems fair.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 58,649, Level: 75
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CloneState1028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    3,273
    Points
    58,649
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Where do they take the SOS from? Because on RPI sites our strength of schedule is 60.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 135,586, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,286
    Points
    135,586
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 280

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Can't disagree. Right now we could as easily play our way into being a 5 seed as we could fall into an NIT invite. This team has lots of potential but has to live up to it.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 27,988, Level: 51
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    LegendofRodA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    968
    Points
    27,988
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 9

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    I love how the PAC 12 not only doesn't have any "locks" but they don't even have a "should be in"...what a pathetic league.



  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 2,995, Level: 15
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jcal2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Posts
    29
    Points
    2,995
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Thought I'd continue to update this thread:

    College Basketball Bubble Watch - UConn continues to be a riddle wrapped up in an enigma - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

    "Iowa State [17-6 (7-3), RPI: 35, SOS: 61] After Saturday's 77-70 win at Oklahoma, Fred Hoiberg's upstart Cyclones are now 7-3 in Big 12 play and have won five of their past six. The strength-of-schedule numbers may be a drag on this team's at-large bid ascendancy, but the top-40 RPI is useful, and when your worst loss is at Drake (where Wichita State also lost) on the first weekend of the season -- and you beat Kansas and Kansas State at home in a four-day span -- you're in decent, if not entirely safe, bubble position."



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 216,989, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,241
    Points
    216,989
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 260

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    I love how the PAC 12 not only doesn't have any "locks" but they don't even have a "should be in"...what a pathetic league.
    Colorado is in 3rd. Did Colorado ever get past about 7th in the big 12.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 28,436, Level: 51
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cygrads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Altoona, IA
    Posts
    1,974
    Points
    28,436
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Forget the bubble - keep winning a conf championship is not out of reach! I had some kool aid with my lunch .



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 94,646, Level: 95
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,815
    Points
    94,646
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 383

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by jcal2001 View Post
    Thought I'd continue to update this thread:

    College Basketball Bubble Watch - UConn continues to be a riddle wrapped up in an enigma - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

    "Iowa State [17-6 (7-3), RPI: 35, SOS: 61] After Saturday's 77-70 win at Oklahoma, Fred Hoiberg's upstart Cyclones are now 7-3 in Big 12 play and have won five of their past six. The strength-of-schedule numbers may be a drag on this team's at-large bid ascendancy, but the top-40 RPI is useful, and when your worst loss is at Drake (where Wichita State also lost) on the first weekend of the season -- and you beat Kansas and Kansas State at home in a four-day span -- you're in decent, if not entirely safe, bubble position."
    I'm elated just to see ISU included in these bubble watch things after years of reading about other teams.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 22,644, Level: 46
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jbindm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,354
    Points
    22,644
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 123

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    The resident expert over at cnnsi.com is saying pretty much the same thing:

    All hope not lost for UConn on road to NCAA tournament - Andy Glockner - SI.com

    Things look good, but we need a couple more "good wins" to nail it down. Splitting the series with Baylor and a road win over Mizzou or K State would probably do the trick.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 210,435, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,191
    Points
    210,435
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 217

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    The resident expert over at cnnsi.com is saying pretty much the same thing:

    All hope not lost for UConn on road to NCAA tournament - Andy Glockner - SI.com

    Things look good, but we need a couple more "good wins" to nail it down. Splitting the series with Baylor and a road win over Mizzou or K State would probably do the trick.
    Also, note his discussion at the beginning of just how weak the bubble is this year. Lots of teams with under.500 conference records still in play. Just take care of business and we'll be sitting pretty.



  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 12,933, Level: 34
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Icky_Mettle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    308
    Points
    12,933
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Colorado is in 3rd. Did Colorado ever get past about 7th in the big 12.

    1997 3rd
    2003 6th
    2004 4th
    2006 5th
    2011 5th



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 392,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,319
    Points
    392,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    NCAA College Basketball Standings - CBSSports.com

    Colorado is second and may win the conference. USC is 1-10. Do they need Tim Floyd back?


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 392,445, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,319
    Points
    392,445
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    The resident expert over at cnnsi.com is saying pretty much the same thing:

    All hope not lost for UConn on road to NCAA tournament - Andy Glockner - SI.com

    Things look good, but we need a couple more "good wins" to nail it down. Splitting the series with Baylor and a road win over Mizzou or K State would probably do the trick.
    The way it will work for college real rpi is we need four-five more wins through tournament and they should be against the bottom feeder teams. Anything with a win against a higher rpi team will be bonus at this point. Texas went 1-5 and went up 7 notches in Kenpom. Just need to beat everyone ranked lower than us. Need the game tonight....


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM