Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 17,292, Level: 40
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    dtlantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    572
    Points
    17,292
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 38

    Recruiting in '08 and '12

    I was just looking at the huge improvement we have made in just a few years in recruiting.

    In 2008:
    1 4*
    7 3*
    17 2*

    In 2012:
    16 3*
    5 2*
    And maybe a surprise tomorrow.

    Future looks brighter and brighter!



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 42,098, Level: 63
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,235
    Points
    42,098
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Exactly. Geno Chizzlestick brought in some talent but got a lot more credit than he deserved. Cue rebecacy.



  3. #3
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    rivals also evaluates more kids than they use to so you don't see as many 2 star players and more 3 stars.

    What's a better indicator is that we have a lot more kids with multiple BCS offers than we use to. We use to out recruit Wyoming and Tulsa. Now we are competing with some good BCS schools



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 2,751, Level: 15
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    47
    Points
    2,751
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    I'm not sure where we are at this year, but it seems like some of our best recruits are hanging on by a fingernail and waiting to jump ship. I don't want to sound negative, but it sure looks like we have a lot of loose end to tie up before we get to feel good about this class.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 25,227, Level: 48
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,274
    Points
    25,227
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 45

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Quote Originally Posted by dtlantz View Post
    I was just looking at the huge improvement we have made in just a few years in recruiting.

    In 2008:
    1 4*
    7 3*
    17 2*

    In 2012:
    16 3*
    5 2*
    And maybe a surprise tomorrow.

    Future looks brighter and brighter!

    Those stats need some context to provide any meaning. I'd be interested to see how they compare to every other B12 school. If the ranking service is just handing out more 3* in 2012 compared to 2008, and thus other schools are showing a similar "improvement," then it doesn't mean much.



  6. #6
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyclone View Post
    I'm not sure where we are at this year, but it seems like some of our best recruits are hanging on by a fingernail and waiting to jump ship. I don't want to sound negative, but it sure looks like we have a lot of loose end to tie up before we get to feel good about this class.
    Such as? Signing day is tomorrow



  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 2,751, Level: 15
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    47
    Points
    2,751
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    We hope that signing day comes with all the right stuff.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 38,098, Level: 60
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 952
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MaccloNe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,008
    Points
    38,098
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 23

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    How did that 4 star turn out?



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,895, Level: 80
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,754
    Points
    66,895
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyclone View Post
    I'm not sure where we are at this year, but it seems like some of our best recruits are hanging on by a fingernail and waiting to jump ship. I don't want to sound negative, but it sure looks like we have a lot of loose end to tie up before we get to feel good about this class.
    ummm... What? Lawry is the only one who's somewhat like that, and people only think that because he didn't cancel his scheduled visit after ours. Who else?


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 186,401, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,617
    Points
    186,401
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    rivals also evaluates more kids than they use to so you don't see as many 2 star players and more 3 stars.

    What's a better indicator is that we have a lot more kids with multiple BCS offers than we use to. We use to out recruit Wyoming and Tulsa. Now we are competing with some good BCS schools
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    Those stats need some context to provide any meaning. I'd be interested to see how they compare to every other B12 school. If the ranking service is just handing out more 3* in 2012 compared to 2008, and thus other schools are showing a similar "improvement," then it doesn't mean much.

    Pretty much this. It's tough to look at just the stars like that due to the reasons listed above.

    The two areas I like to look at is who else offered and the actual ranking (5.6, 5.7, etc)



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 17,292, Level: 40
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    dtlantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    572
    Points
    17,292
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 38

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Of course it is all subjective. Just found it interesting.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 59,305, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,906
    Points
    59,305
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 100

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    What's sick is that 40% of the players that were signed for 2008 are no longer with, or in Harper's case, never made the program. The good side of that is that the 60% percent that are left are or were major contributors to the team.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 75,943, Level: 85
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,766
    Points
    75,943
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    other than sedrick johnson, that 2008 class looks a lot weaker than i remember. I was really excited about it, too.



  14. #14
    Recruit
    Points: 4,116, Level: 18
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    pikecy10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    88
    Points
    4,116
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting in '08 and '12

    Quote Originally Posted by djcubby View Post
    What's sick is that 40% of the players that were signed for 2008 are no longer with, or in Harper's case, never made the program. The good side of that is that the 60% percent that are left are or were major contributors to the team.

    The real indicator is that we have been to 2 bowl games in the last 3 years. Real result is on the field, not the number of stars next to a players name. The quality and versitility of the players we have been recruiting in the last few years, even starting with Chiz (LJ, ARob, etc), is a huge upgrade then was around in the years before.

    Moral of the story, things are improving in Ames, and it all ties in with how much support Cyclone Nation is showing its football and basketball teams in recent years.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM