Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

San Francisco trip

The wife and I will be taking a trip to San Francisco April 19 (Thursday)- 24 (Tuesday). Besides the popular touristy things (Alcatraz, GGB, Fishermans Wharf, Lombard Street) what cool places are there to see? Places to eat?

We are renting a car the first 2 days and are going up to Sonoma/Napa/Muir Woods. Any hotel recommendations while in the wine country? Places to eat? Vineyards to visit?

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 2

Re: San Francisco trip

Quote Originally Posted by cyinne View Post
    The wife and I will be taking a trip to San Francisco April 19 (Thursday)- 24 (Tuesday). Besides the popular touristy things (Alcatraz, GGB, Fishermans Wharf, Lombard Street) what cool places are there to see? Places to eat?

We are renting a car the first 2 days and are going up to Sonoma/Napa/Muir Woods. Any hotel recommendations while in the wine country? Places to eat? Vineyards to visit?
    Muir Woods is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. It's like something out of "Lord of the Rings," almost magical.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 8

We went the opposite way and drove down to Monterrey, stayed at a cool little hotel just off the beach. Great little local restaurants, and the aquarium was really fun. Never been north.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Have to do a hot air balloon ride worth every penny

Prospect
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

I've lived in SF for a little over five years now, where are you staying? That can definitely open up some options for you. Also, be sure to bring a rain coat and some warmer clothes. Average temp for SF in April is around 60 degrees.

And if you're going north, definitely check out Muir Woods. If you have time and it's nice out, check out the Tourist Club on Mt. Tamalpais. You hike up about a mile to the middle of the woods, where there's a German beer hall overlooking a valley. It's a little secluded, but well worth the trip. If you go, just be sure to check to make sure it's open that day.

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Bottega in Yountville is a great place to eat up in Napa Valley.

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by rasclone View Post

Beat me to it .... LOVE that place.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 11

Just a few personal favorite things to do while out there (especially if I'm traveling with someone who hasn't visited there before):

If you're a baseball fan, take a tour of AT&T Park in SF. They offer tours at 10:30 and 12:30 every day, excluding some holidays and day games during baseball season. Tours run about 90 minutes and were under $15 per person last time I was there (in the fall).

One place in Napa Valley to stop is Sterling Vineyards, between St. Helena and Calistoga. The winery is situated on a knoll in the middle of the valley and has great views in both directions. You take an aerial tram to the top from the parking lot. The basic tour is self-guided with wine samples (5) along the way. The pricier tour gets you more samples. There are discounts available online (using google, not their own site) that will get you in and out for $20 if you purchase your reservation ahead of time, a $5 discount. Bring your camera (duh)! There are many, many, many wineries in Napa Valley, but this one offers a pretty good bang for your buck.

If you are looking for a simple tasting room, with no tours (and no charge, last I checked), Sutter Home is available on Hwy 29 just south of St. Helena. You can buy their wines here easily. They're basically a budget wine, but not bad. Decent gift shop there also.

Calistoga (where I graduated from high school), at the far north end of Napa Valley, has several spas and mud baths that have been popular for decades. Not personally my thing, but they're always busy. Calistoga has a nice main street with shops and restaurants.

Sonoma County has a bunch of wineries and vineyards as well. My favorite thing to do is go to the coast at Bodega Bay. They filmed "The Birds" there and in Bodega. At Bodega Bay, there is a cool hotel called the Inn at the Tides, where all rooms have a view of the bay. The Tides restaurant is across the highway from the hotel (right on the water) which has fresh seafood brought in daily. A few miles up Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Highway), is Goat Rock Beach, my favorite ocean spot that has ample sand beaches and interesting rock formations (sea stacks, natural arch).

Guerneville is also a popular resort spot. It's on the Russian River and has a lot of beach areas, tubing, canoeing, hiking, golfing, etc. It's very outdoorsey, if that's your thing.

If you are a fan of Peanuts, Santa Rosa has the Charles M. Schultz Museum. Russian River Brewing Company makes their own brews and is fun hangout in downtown Santa Rosa.

There's obviously a TON more in Sonoma and Napa Counties, but these are some favorite things of mine to see/do when I visit. Guess it kinda depends on your tastes. Send me a message if you want.

(edit to add that other suggestions that appeared while I was typing are all good as well!)

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

You haven't lived until you've played a few rounds of "I dare you to eat that" in Chinatown. My wife and I had a blast with that game when we were there last fall.

Scientific > Heady

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Re:San Francisco trip

Lefty O'Douls. Tell the bartender you're from Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

If you ever plan to motor west, travel my way. Take the highway that's the best. It winds from Chicago to LA, more than 2000 miles all the way. Would you get hip to this kindly tip when you take that California trip? Get your kicks on Route 66.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Went to SF last fall for the first time. We spent a day in wine country (Napa). Visited quite a few wineries Robert Mondavi is very cool as were most of the others. There is an App for smartphones that list some deals on wine tastings like 2 for 1 etc, cant remember the name but search and you could probably find.

We went to Muir woods, and as others have stated it was very cool. I wish we would have planned better and spent more time on the longer trails.

We did the typical tourist rounds, GG bridge, Alcatraz, Fishermans Warf, Ghirardelli Square etc.

Have Fun!!

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 83Clone View Post
    Lefty O'Douls. Tell the bartender you're from Iowa

Definately!!

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Toured Anchor Brewing Co while there as well, crashed a historical society party event at the brewery and had "free tasting".