Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Classic Encounter with a Hawkeye fan

I work retail and had an encounter with a Hawkeye fan that really made me laugh. I was helping this man and he was wearing a Hawk hat, so I asked him if the Hawks played yesterday (wasn't sure, they play today). He said, "No, we get to lose tomorrow @ Indiana" (first typical Iowa fan response). Then he tells me how they're getting better though and that "at least we're doing it the right way" and goes on to say that ISU beat Kansas today but "3/4 of those guys will be in jail within 2 years" with the classic smug Hawk smile.

I picked my jaw up off the ground and asked the man if he had seen my tie. (which is an ISU tie) He then takes his turn picking his jaw up off the ground and starts backpedling. "Oh, I played against Fred in HS and I like Fred", "I was just kidding", "they're a good team this year" reaches out for a peacemaking handshake (which I accept, if for no other reason the customer's always right ;-) See, I have always rooted for Iowa except against us because my Dad's side of the family is all Hawk fans. But things like this (which happen all the time as we all know) make me want to rethink things. Just thought I'd share this. I got a good laugh at how he immediately went into backpedle mode and from the look on his face when I showed him my tie. GO CLONES!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 217

Re: Classic Encounter with a Hawkeye fan

Hawk fans are some of the ost idiotic fans in the country. Making a statement about a team he knows zero about. I love how he thinks all of the guys Fred brought in are thugs and none of them have gotten in trouble once since they have been here, not once.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 157

Should've asked him if he had Cyclone bball confused with Hawk football.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 217

Yea Fran maybe be doing it the right way. Continuing to lose must be the right way I guess.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

I think Fran has a better chance of landing in jail in 2 yrs with his temper than our players. zing!

Fanatic #25

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 27

That seems to be the prevailing perception from Hawk fans, and I've always been miffed at that. I guess because Royce had legal problems, they all do? Or, if you're a transfer, you're automatically a trouble-maker? I really don't get it. Booker, Babb, Clyburn seem like solid individuals, and while lucious and Allen have a somewhat mysterious departures from MSU, they aren't exactly felons.

Afterall, Fran attemted to add a man who spent four years in prison. IMO, that trumps any of Royce's history. For the record i fault neither coach for taking chances like this.

Also, I'm glad to see Royce seems to have adjusted very well, and seems to be a model citizen.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    Yea Fran maybe be doing it the right way. Continuing to lose must be the right way I guess.
    If we didn't bring in a bunch of JUCO's, we'd justify it by saying we're doing it the "right way" too

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigerclone924 View Post
    I work retail and had an encounter with a Hawkeye fan that really made me laugh. I was helping this man and he was wearing a Hawk hat, so I asked him if the Hawks played yesterday (wasn't sure, they play today). He said, "No, we get to lose tomorrow @ Indiana" (first typical Iowa fan response). Then he tells me how they're getting better though and that "at least we're doing it the right way" and goes on to say that ISU beat Kansas today but "3/4 of those guys will be in jail within 2 years" with the classic smug Hawk smile.

I picked my jaw up off the ground and asked the man if he had seen my tie. (which is an ISU tie) He then takes his turn picking his jaw up off the ground and starts backpedling. "Oh, I played against Fred in HS and I like Fred", "I was just kidding", "they're a good team this year" reaches out for a peacemaking handshake (which I accept, if for no other reason the customer's always right ;-) See, I have always rooted for Iowa except against us because my Dad's side of the family is all Hawk fans. But things like this (which happen all the time as we all know) make me want to rethink things. Just thought I'd share this. I got a good laugh at how he immediately went into backpedle mode and from the look on his face when I showed him my tie. GO CLONES!!!
    It sounds to me like you met a pretty decent guy who was just having a casual conversation. It doesn't seem anything he said was malicious, the smug smile you interpreted was actually probably an indicator that what he said was said in jest.

Seems like a polite encounter. Not much to complain about from my point of view; maybe I missed something.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Acylum View Post
    Should've asked him if he had Cyclone bball confused with Hawk football.
    LOL! DAM! Where's my wit when I need it!

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    It sounds to me like you met a pretty decent guy who was just having a casual conversation. It doesn't seem anything he said was malicious, the smug smile you interpreted was actually probably an indicator that what he said was said in jest.

Seems like a polite encounter. Not much to complain about from my point of view; maybe I missed something.
    I would agree for the most part...Likeable guy. Not saying anything about the guy personally or that what he said was that "malicious". Just saying that I feel it is another Hawkeye fan that cannot stand it when we have success. Sorry if it seemed as though I was "complaining" that was not my intent at all!

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    I think Fran has a better chance of landing in jail in 2 yrs with his temper than our players. zing!
    Good point, he may need some anger management

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 6

Sounds to me like the guy was joking around, and making similar comments about ISU bball that ISU fans make about Iowa football.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Saw a guy at work wearing a Ou/Nebraska game shirt, I asked which he was a fan of. He said Nebraska, I called him a traitor, hr said they had to go to a league with real football. I said you just got tired of Isu beating you, he said that always happened occasionaly, just more recently. Good moment in retail.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    Sounds to me like the guy was joking around, and making similar comments about ISU bball that ISU fans make about Iowa football.
    I would say you are correct. He was making a joke. A joke intended IMO to discredit ISU's victory over a Top 5 team by saying we had to do it the "wrong way".

Like I said, I don't want the guy strung up by his toes in town square. I just percieved it as a slight towards our program in general and our success...Much the same way as the first ones to point out the tragedy OSU suffered on the day of our football victory over the Cowboys are Hawkeye fans. We all know that had an effect (how much? none of us or the OSU football team will never know) and it is a terrible thing for any university to endure. Is that the reason we won? I wouldn't say that, but alot of Hawk fans sure think it is. We all know that Fred extended a 2nd chance to some troubled players. What a good opportunity for those young men! Should a victory (or any success we have on the year) have it's value diminished because of this? Not a chance!

Last edited by tigerclone924; 01-29-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    You've seen some of their games this year, right? And they've got a pretty good recruiting class coming in. Don't be ignorant.