View Poll Results: Should the federal marijuana laws be relaxed for medical purposes?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 66.15%
  • No

22 33.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Medical Marijuana

Does anybody agree with the federal laws that stipulate that "medical marijuana" is illegal?

The Republican front runners do not favor any changes in the current federal law.

I just don't understand the rationale for not allowing anyone under any circumstance to use marijuana.

Links:
    CNN.com - CNN Political Ticker Romney confronted with medical marijuana issue

Giuliani: Medical Marijuana Unnecessary, Presidential Hopeful Says Supporters Want Drug Available To All - CBS News

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,638
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

Re: Medical Marijuana

You will always get a Yes outta me on marijuana for ANY use. Until either 1) Marijuana and Alcohol both are outlawed (won't EVER happen, SEE:PROHIBITION) OR 2) Marijuana and Alcohol are both legal. I will always be pro-marijuana.

Also let it be known I am very far from a "stoner," but I know what marijuana does to you and what alcohol does to you...and alcohol kills MANY more people every year, but is still legal while marijuana isn't, someone please explain that. I guess I could throw tobacco in there too, it kills even more still. And don't give me the marijuana leads to heroine, cocaine, etc. BS. The only people who say that are ones who have never smoked so they'd never know.

As far as medical marijuana, if it really is the best prescription treatment for a specific patient, why the hell WOULDN'T you allow it?

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm sick of the government protecting us from ourselves. I would endorse the decriminalization of marijuana for more than simply medical purposes.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

At least Obama was honest when asked by Jay Leno whether he smoked, Leno was talking not about Marlboros but about pot. "Not recently--that was in high school," Obama responded. "Did you inhale?" Leno said, alluding to bill Clinton's famous dodge. "That was the point," Obama said.

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

if the government was smart they'd legalize it and tax the crap out of it. its already our biggest cash crop but its on a different market if the government allowed it to be on the US market "weed" get a hell of a lot more income every year

dan k

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

I just don't get why it is illegal? It is not all that harmful, not any more than tobacco or alcohol. I think it is just another example of the corncob lodged in the butts of most americans.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I just don't get why it is illegal? It is not all that harmful, not any more than tobacco or alcohol. I think it is just another example of the corncob lodged in the butts of most americans.
    Look who is running our country, I bunch of OLD white dudes. Give it another decade or so and then those who did smoke it up will be in power.

Nevada tried to pass a law last year that would make it legal for the state government to sell Marijuana. They were going to tax it $50-100 / oz (if my memory is correct). There would be Marijuana shops set up throughout the state where you could buy it and the state would control it. It didn't pass the state election last year.

I don't understand why any substance is illegal, if someone is dumb enough to get hooked on Meth or Crack and kill themself, more power to them.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Look who is running our country, I bunch of OLD white dudes. Give it another decade or so and then those who did smoke it up will be in power.
    But in another decade or so those people will have been magically transformed into old white dudes Happens every generation.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 20

and alcohol kills MANY more people every year, but is still legal while marijuana isn't, someone please explain that

Of course alcohol kills more people. More people drink alcohol than smoke pot. If pot was legal, there would be a rise in deaths related to pot. Just like alcohol, marijuana impairs judgement and slows reaction time. So, operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of pot can be deadly.

Outside of that, the only other threat I can think of would be respitory damage due to smoking, just like cigarettes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

This one always gets me. I voted no, but I'm really not sure. I think there are clearly drugs that should be banned, and if anything, I vote no for the precendent it would set. I don't feel marijuana is any worse than alcohol.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    This one always gets me. I voted no, but I'm really not sure. I think there are clearly drugs that should be banned, and if anything, I vote no for the precendent it would set. I don't feel marijuana is any worse than alcohol.
    If you feel drugs should be banned however they are not worse than alcohol, do you think that alcohol should be banned? A bet a lot of tailgaters would be upset.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90

I don't think anyone wants alcohol banned, but something has to be done about the cavalier attitude this country has towards OWI. Alcohol by itself isn't any worse than the fast food we put into our bodies. Add a car to the equation and it becomes dangerous. Marijuana is the same situation. If you make it legal, you need to find a way to keep people responsible.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by iowast8fan View Post
    and alcohol kills MANY more people every year, but is still legal while marijuana isn't, someone please explain that

Of course alcohol kills more people. More people drink alcohol than smoke pot. If pot was legal, there would be a rise in deaths related to pot. Just like alcohol, marijuana impairs judgement and slows reaction time. So, operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of pot can be deadly.
    as someone who has operated a vehicle under the influence of both (not something im proud of, i can honestly say that you are far less impaired high on weed then drunk on booze. black out drunk behind the wheel or eating cheetos behind the wheel.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I object to the "medical legalization" of marijuana. I do not object to legalizing it for other reasons, however.

My problem with the "medical" legalization is that it is fundamentally dishonest. It's just a sneaky way to legalize casual use, imo. There's not been a ton of research, but the stuff I've seen, thanks to some pharmacist friends (I used to manage a couple of pharmacies back in the day) indicated that marijuana wasn't particularly good medicine. It creates symptoms which it "treats". In other words, if a terminal cancer patient takes it to ease pain, when they are off it, they experience higher levels of pain, which are only effectively treated by more marijuana. Same thing with nausea caused by chemo. Patients who experienced nausea cessation when using weed experienced greater nausea prior to subsequent uses.

I'd much prefer that it's proponents get it legalized first as a recreational drug, then they can talk old ladies dying of cancer into becoming users.

Having said I support legalization of marijuana, I will caveat that I've noticed a much higher level of self-delusion and long-term impaired logic among regular marijuana users than among alcohol users or smokers, though any addictive behaviors include self-delusion and impaired logic.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    I just don't understand the rationale for not allowing anyone under any circumstance to use marijuana.
    I agree.

Also, farmers should be allowed to grow hemp. Hemp fiber is amazing and has numerous industrial uses. It would be great for farmers to have another crop option. I don't understand laws that regulate what plants people can grow, with the possible exception of man-eating venus fly traps.

"The values to which people cling most stubbornly under inappropriate conditions are those values that were previously the source of their greatest triumphs over adversity." -Jared Diamond, Collapse