Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 500

Golf 2.0

Newest remedy to golf slump unveiled at PGA Show - CBSSports.com

Like mighty knights at the round table, they kicked around the programs, permutations and options, not without some lighter moments. At one point, the august group of golf dignitaries seated around the room at the PGA Merchandise Show began discussing making the size of the golf hole bigger to make the sport more enjoyable to millions.
    U.S. Golf Association executive director Mike Davis noted that it will never happen at the U.S. Open, which his organization runs.
    Interjected Jack Nicklaus: “Why not?”
    The room broke up in laughter. We think he was kidding, but maybe the joke’s over. AT this point, perhaps the joking should stop.
    That seems to be the new message -- hold the giggles.
    Hemorrhaging players of all ages, genders and financial strata, the roundtable discussion staged Thursday at the Orlando Convention Center was mostly a session used to unveil a new program called Golf 2.0, the latest in a series of undertakins to staunch the bleeding.
    This may have happened to bowling and sand volleyball already. XBox360 is cheaper entertainment. XBox 360 up to 7 seven times faster may be hitting the market in next few months. Golf on the big screen.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

Re: Golf 2.0

I stopped playing several years ago. For my life now, the game just takes too long, is too expensive, and in many places requires too much planning in advance (i.e. getting a tee time).

IMO, in order to bring back participants, they need to develop a bunch of 9-hole, par-3 courses where people can walk up, pay a modest green fee, get on the tee quickly, and get in and out in one to two hours. The courses need to be designed so one doesn't need a bag of 14 latest-technology clubs to successfully navigate the course.

Really, I just want to get some exercise and make some shots. If there were places where I could walk up with a few clubs, golf for an hour or so, and be done, I'd probably do it 3 times a week. And so would my wife. I don't need a resort-style club house and all it's assorted amenities. This stuff just adds to the green fees.

The local Elks lodge has a course like this, but one has to be a member of the lodge in order to golf there.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 01-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

I just joined Urbandale CC for about the price of two rounds at Tournament Club of Iowa a month and can't complain... I hope people are giving it up, easier for me to get on... I don't see people having beer and cigars doing business while playing X-box in the future though...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I golf now more than I ever have. In 2 leagues and play roughly 60-70 rounds a year. I don't see the drop-off around here, but then again I'm not paying much attention. Saturdays are always packed out here no matter the course, but I can walk on most weekdays and play in 3 hours.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

I also saw on Darren Rovell's blog that there has been a downward trend in days that course's were open over the last few years. With all the rain and snow last year there were on aveage something like 2o less days to play golf than the year prior. That's pretty significant.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I stopped playing several years ago. For my life now, the game just takes too long, is too expensive, and in many places requires too much planning in advance (i.e. getting a tee time).

IMO, in order to bring back participants, they need to develop a bunch of 9-hole, par-3 courses where people can walk up, pay a modest green fee, get on the tee quickly, and get in and out in one to two hours. The courses need to be designed so one doesn't need a bag of 14 latest-technology clubs to successfully navigate the course.

Really, I just want to get some exercise make some shots. If there were places where I could walk up with a few clubs, golf for an hour or so, and be done, I'd probably do it 3 times a week. And so would my wife. I don't need a resort-style club house and all it's assorted amenities. This stuff just adds to the green fees.

The local Elks lodge has a course like this, but one has to be a member of the lodge in order to golf there.
    I agree with all of this but especially the cost parts. I can count the number of my friends that golf more than once a year on one hand. Mostly because of the cost of clubs, balls, and green fee's. It's the reason why myself and millions of other college aged and younger people love frisbee golf (frolf). We can buy 3-4 discs and be set for probably less than $30-$35 dollars. That's it no green fee's or expensive clubs and balls. Yes you are technically paying for these courses with tax dollars but that expense is significantly smaller than a green fee each time.

I also like the time factor, there are many times in which I will get done with dinner and want to get out and do something so my fiance, friends and I will just go frolf until dark. We can usually go at our pace and just relax and have a good time.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 1,505

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I just joined Urbandale CC for about the price of two rounds at Tournament Club of Iowa a month and can't complain... I hope people are giving it up, easier for me to get on... I don't see people having beer and cigars doing business while playing X-box in the future though...
    I think that is what the problem is: more and more people started playing and clogged up the courses. I wouldn't mind less people getting on the tee as it is better for those that do.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 500

26% fewer golf gals in five years is a big dropoff.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

Really, I just want to get some exercise make some shots. If there were places where I could walk up with a few clubs, golf for an hour or so, and be done, I'd probably do it 3 times a week. And so would my wife. I don't need a resort-style club house and all it's assorted amenities. This stuff just adds to the green fees.

This sums up a lot of how I feel. The big issue I see against reasonably priced golf, is golf ego. Too many 15+ handycappers think they need to be playing on carpet like fairways. Yeah, they are dreamy, but for the average golfer, how often are you actually hitting from them and more importantly, is there really that much difference in your shot shooting from bent grass fairways as there would be hitting from a decent cut bluegrass? Every course I play anymore - even our supposed "cheap" municipal course may not play that hard, but looks as nice as any PGA event I've ever seen. Plus, I love walking and it's not easy to find a course that will let you walk on the weekends. So add another $20 to the round for the cart.

I grew up playing on courses that you couldn't really tell the rough from the fairway grass. It was just cut a little shorter. And I had a great time. I'm never going to be on the PGA, so I don't need to play like it. Even when I was playing a lot and shooting in the mid to low 80s, I never felt like I needed anything more than a white ball, and a hole to hit it in to. For me It was a reason to get out of the house, tip a few beers and enjoy some time with friends. I can do that all too easily now without spending the kind of money people want to golf.

The last time I played on a Saturday, it cost me close to $100. And that was at a municipal course. I had fun, but there are a lot of other things I could do with $100. Granted, there are cheaper options around, but again, the golf ego takes affect and other people in the group can't stomach playing a 9 hole course without the groomed fairways they never hit. Hell, I'm still by far the best golfer in the group I play with when we go and now I'm a mid 90's to 100 player. In this economy, the days of taking the afternoon off from work to go play 18, just aren't available like they were a few years ago.

The other big slam, imo, is the loss of Tiger Woods. Golfers are so freakin' stuffy for the most part. He helped bring in that young vibrant audience. There just aren't many golfers out there who have the personality to attract anyone other than golf enthusiests to the game. Hell, I like golf and I can't watch it on TV. I used to argue with a co-worker all the tim who was a Mickelson fan. He hated Tiger and couldn't understand why Mickelson didn't get the ad money like Tiger did. I always told him it was because Mickelson didn't have any personality. It was the same With Vijay Singh. They are great golfers, with no personality. You need that to attract people to your sport.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I grew up playing on courses that you couldn't really tell the rough from the fairway grass. It was just cut a little shorter.
    Same here. The course I grew up playing on had oiled sand greens (since been converted to grass).

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy