Phil Knight eulogizes JoPa. Is this in the Nike/PSU shoe contract?
    Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Phil Knight eulogizes JoPa. Is this in the Nike/PSU shoe contract?

give me a break. Its all about the dollar signs.

Honor Before Victory

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Re: Phil Knight eulogizes JoPa. Is this in the Nike/PSU shoe contract?

Nike has been with Penn State for something like 35 years. I would imagine that the two got pretty close over that time, in fact I have heard many say that they were very good friends.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneML View Post
    Not entirely.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,793
    Given: 4,015

What dollar signs could Phil Knight hope to receive for delivering a eulogy for Joe Paterno.

He wouldn't have been ASKED to do it if he wasn't a close friend of Paterno.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 162

Joe Pa screwed up big time. But I'm not sure this is about dollar signs. Thousands in Happy Valley support Joe Pa. But millions in America do not. I am not sure how Nike benefits from dragging their name into this. Phil Knight probably is a genuine supporter of Paterno. Don't know why. But I can't see the dollar connection.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 25

He's dead, R.I.P. etc. etc. But sympathy is causing people to lose sight or forget the reality of the messed up power structure and dynamics at Penn St. The confused old man act shouldn't have fooled anyone because Paterno definitely was not that. The preponderance of the evidence so far points to a cover up and there's no logical way he wasn't involved. It was all about protecting the program.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    He's dead, R.I.P. etc. etc. But sympathy is causing people to lose sight or forget the reality of the messed up power structure and dynamics at Penn St. The confused old man act shouldn't have fooled anyone because Paterno definitely was not that. The preponderance of the evidence so far points to a cover up and there's no logical way he wasn't involved. It was all about protecting the program.
    Exactly right. And it wouldn't absolve Paterno but the least he could have done given what he knew was take Sandusky's keys and tell him never to set foot in the football facilities again. AND, tell him that he never wanted to see him with a BOY at any PSU function ever again. That's the part I don't understand. He could have protected the program (since that's what he did) but ousted Sandusky from it. I don't get that. How can anyone defend this given what Paterno himself admitted at the end. Knight shouldn't have said anything. Paterno deserved to be honored but don't go there Phil.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 155

In my opinion it was a disgusting advertisement for Nike. I'm not sure how many times he said Nike but it was more than a handful of times. It was on in the background at work and I wasn't watching it. The way he repetitively said the name of his company was terrible. I have no problem with him going up and stating his opinion on the tragedy, I just didn't approve of his name dropping.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,793
    Given: 4,015

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post

To me it seems like Paterno took the same path that many coaches at schools that end up marred in scandal do. He did the bare minimum and distanced himself from it. He could then try to claim culpable deniability.

I can understand that to a point when a program is in trouble for recruiting violations and the like, but when it's the lives and protection of children at stake, it is unforgivable.

Paterno had the chance to out Sandusky and didn't. If he had, he would be revered as much for doing the right thing as for being the coach of a good football program. Instead, he tarnished everything he has done in his long storied career.

I used to respect Paterno because of his loyalty to his school and for being good enough to last that long in a position that is often so volatile. Now all I can think about is this. If Paterno had truly done the right thing, and made sure that Sandusky was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in the first place, that the life and well being of just one child could have been protected.

It makes one wonder why Paterno would basically go out of his way to ignore the Sandusky issue. With Sandusky no longer a member of the program, it shouldn't be that hard to bring him to justice right away. Instead, they swept it under the rug to keep their image as a "clean program". It also makes me think there is a deeper conspiracy that Penn State had a hand in covering up, stemming back to when Sandusky was forced into retirement.

With two young children of my own, it all makes me sick. That's what Joe Paterno is linked to in my mind now.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 27

Phil Knight had a great speech yesterday....Joe Pa was knight's hero/someone to look up to since 1999, after the death of his college track coach, bill bowerman

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 479
    Given: 162

So the man who makes thousands of young children in third-world countries manufacture shoes while paying them pennies is defending the man who who did not stop child rape.

Joe may have done a million right things. But he will be remembered for failing to do the right thing when it would have mattered most.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 703
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    To me it seems like Paterno took the same path that many coaches at schools that end up marred in scandal do. He did the bare minimum and distanced himself from it. He could then try to claim culpable deniability.

I can understand that to a point when a program is in trouble for recruiting violations and the like, but when it's the lives and protection of children at stake, it is unforgivable.

Paterno had the chance to out Sandusky and didn't. If he had, he would be revered as much for doing the right thing as for being the coach of a good football program. Instead, he tarnished everything he has done in his long storied career.

I used to respect Paterno because of his loyalty to his school and for being good enough to last that long in a position that is often so volatile. Now all I can think about is this. If Paterno had truly done the right thing, and made sure that Sandusky was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in the first place, that the life and well being of just one child could have been protected.

It makes one wonder why Paterno would basically go out of his way to ignore the Sandusky issue. With Sandusky no longer a member of the program, it shouldn't be that hard to bring him to justice right away. Instead, they swept it under the rug to keep their image as a "clean program". It also makes me think there is a deeper conspiracy that Penn State had a hand in covering up, stemming back to when Sandusky was forced into retirement.

With two young children of my own, it all makes me sick. That's what Joe Paterno is linked to in my mind now.
    Myself and family have been having the "debate" about this whole thing as well....honoring him vs acknowledging what happened, etc. I know JoePa's stance was he thought he did the right thing by reporting...which, is the "procedure"...but as you said, this isn't a case of someone stealing office supplies or something else...this is a sick act he knew about...I think the kicker for me was his judgement...he knew what allegedly happened, reported it and let it be, but Sandusky was still allowed around the complex and around youth. That's where I think it shows he used poor judgement.....I mean, he probably should have followed up with whomever he reported to, "I told you a few days back about what happened with Sandusky...what's happening with that? If I don't hear that the police were involved, I'll go to them myself" or something like that.

I know things have changed since he started. I heard a quote from him from a while back, talking about if a student athlete was drunk or something, he'd go at 2AM, bring them home, and wake them up at 5AM and make them run....and no one knew that happened. I'm sure he just didn't change with the times, etc....but this situation is MUCH different and showed poor judgement. As I was telling my family, had he back then, canned Sandusky (and maybe even not disclosed why at the time)...when it came out why, his legacy would only be stronger, etc as that would show some of the character many talk about with him.