Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Colts Hire Pagano as Coach

The next chapter in the Peyton Manning saga could take a decidedly defensive turn.
    Indianapolis hired Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano as its new coach Wednesday and will introduce him at a news conference Thursday afternoon.
    BURKE: Colts, Raiders thinking defense first with hires
    It's the third time Jim Irsay has turned to a defensive-minded coach since replacing his father as team owner in 1997, first hiring Jim Mora and then Tony Dungy as Mora's replacement in 2002.
    "I like it," Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Mathis wrote on Twitter.
    The Colts are hoping the change produces better results after Indy went 2-14 last season, its worst record in two decades. But there are questions about how this decision will impact the future of Manning and his teammates.
    The 51-year-old Pagano had been a career assistant until Wednesday. He had coached previously in the NFL at Oakland and Cleveland and also worked extensively in college with stops at Miami and North Carolina.
    He's the fourth Ravens defensive coordinator to get a head coaching job in less than a decade. The others were Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, Jets coach Rex Ryan and former 49ers coach Mike Nolan.
    Those who have worked closely with Pagano believe he's ready for the promotion.
    "Chuck has a leadership quality about him. He's humble but he also knows when to take the reins and take charge," Ravens linebacker Paul Kruger said. "He doesn't try to dominate you in every meeting. He's just a coach that knows exactly how players are and what direction they need."

Read more: Colts hire Ravens' Chuck Pagano as new head coach - NFL - SI.com

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 151

Re: Colts Hire Pagano as Coach

It's a good move. Jim Irsay has mentioned several times the need for an organization to have one clear voice, and I think Pagano fits the bill. I'll be interested to see what he does with the coaches still on staff. The new GM fired about half of them, but some are still hanging on. The most notable holdover is Clyde Christensen, who has been with the team in some capacity since 2002. He has served as their offensive coordinator since 2010. So far, it looks like the Colts and Manning are headed for a split. However, if they retain Christensen that would seem like a move designed to appease the star QB. We'll know soon enough. My gut feeling is that Pagano finishes cleaning house and brings in his own guys. Manning wil get dealt or released, and a really great era of football in Indy will come to an abrupt end.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Indianapolis Colts are a long, long way from being healed.
    Two days after Peyton Manning publicly complained about the dour atmosphere at team headquarters following a 2-14 season and a rash of firings, Colts owner Jim Irsay introduced his new head coach and then stunned everyone by calling his franchise player a "politician" who had decided to air dirty laundry.
    "I don't think it's in the best interest to paint the horseshoe in a negative light, I really don't," Irsay told reporters, referring to the team's longtime logo. "The horseshoe always comes first, and I think one thing he's always known, because he's been around it so long, is that, you know, you keep it in the family. If you've got a problem you talk to each other, it's not about campaigning or anything like that."
    The comments suggest there is a rift between Manning and Irsay, who is just six weeks from a deadline to pay the four-time league MVP a $28 million bonus or risk losing him as a free agent. And it all blew up in public on a day the team desperately wanted attention focused on Chuck Pagano, the Ravens' defensive coordinator who takes over as head coach with a host of problems to address.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1kflrRDIi

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

What about Mr. Sweater Vest? Is he going to be OK?

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"