Thread: Melancholia

DistrictCyclone

Melancholia

Has anyone else seen this movie, and if so, what did you think of it? For those of you who don't think it was one of the most pompous, boring, fluffy, and difficult-to-watch movies ever made, what am I missing???

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,353
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 1

Re: Melancholia

I saw it about a month ago, and really liked it. Thought it was a good depiction of the end of the world, as told through one woman's bout with severe depression. It was fairly slow, and could have had about 15 minutes removed with no real problem, but the cinematography was amazing and the performances were solid.

If you've never seen Von Trier's other films, I can see how Melancholia would throw you. But after Dogville and Antichrist, I thought Melancholia is his most accessible movie.

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by sdillon500 View Post
    I saw it about a month ago, and really liked it. Thought it was a good depiction of the end of the world, as told through one woman's bout with severe depression. It was fairly slow, and could have had about 15 minutes removed with no real problem, but the cinematography was amazing and the performances were solid.

If you've never seen Von Trier's other films, I can see how Melancholia would throw you. But after Dogville and Antichrist, I thought Melancholia is his most accessible movie.
    The cinematography was top-notch, I'll agree to that. The acting wasn't bad, but it didn't overwhelm me, either, so I'm neutral there. My biggest beef was that it was about 10 minutes worth of substance packaged inside 2 hours of pure filler. The entire first "part" of the movie in particular was just completely pointless; it shouldn't take a lavish hourlong party scene to essentially say "this woman has some mental health issues".

I've only seen The Idiots, which was great, but it sounds like you're saying that Melancholia is quite a bit different from his other stuff? I'd be willing to give it a spin if it's not like this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

I love going to movies as it's my pressure valve for disengaging my brain from whatever crud is consuming it at work. And, I like offbeat movies, I'm a regular at the Fleur. With that said, I thought it was a ridiculously bad movie and seriously contemplated walking out. I can't. Remember ever wanting to leave a movie so badly. But, I kept thinking that something was going to happen to make it all pull together. Nope.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Has anyone else seen this movie, and if so, what did you think of it? For those of you who don't think it was one of the most pompous, boring, fluffy, and difficult-to-watch movies ever made, what am I missing???
    Lars Von Trier is, in my opinion, one of the most gifted directors out there. But, he's not for everyone as he challenges. His movies are definitely not the typical Hollywood fare.

I loved the movie and he continues to be on my list of favorite directors.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials