Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

OWH article: ISU talent level

Actually this is an article about Dmac being at South Florida but this quote is very interesting but not suprising....

Omaha.com Sports Section
    "These guys had some success last year, and I was impressed with the attitude and the confidence. I could tell this team was really, really hungry. In a lot of ways, it's very similar to the blue-collar program we tried to build at Iowa State."

What's strikingly different, McCarney said, is the level of talent within the program.

"I've never been this close to so much talent," McCarney said. "Obviously, there's talent everywhere in Florida. Everyone recruits here. We've recruited here before, but now that I've had a time to get closer to the situation, it's rare that you go into a (high) school and there's not at least one Division I prospect.

I think there was a discussion about how S. Fla's recruiting ranking were about even with ISU's over the last few years but according to Dmac, the ranking don't mean much. I think this just proves we were not getting the talent to really compete but I think we knew that. Not trying to make this a bash Dan post, it is just an interesting and telling quote coming from our former coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: OWH article: ISU talent level

I hate to say this but, 9 times out of 10 I would rather take an unknown kid from Florida over a 3 star recruit from Iowa.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

What's in the water down there? We need some of it.

All I want for Christmas is ......

Last edited by keepngoal; 10-09-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: hahaha!

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by cydsho View Post
    Actually this is an article about Dmac being at South Florida but this quote is very interesting but not suprising....

Omaha.com Sports Section
    "These guys had some success last year, and I was impressed with the attitude and the confidence. I could tell this team was really, really hungry. In a lot of ways, it's very similar to the blue-collar program we tried to build at Iowa State."

What's strikingly different, McCarney said, is the level of talent within the program.

"I've never been this close to so much talent," McCarney said. "Obviously, there's talent everywhere in Florida. Everyone recruits here. We've recruited here before, but now that I've had a time to get closer to the situation, it's rare that you go into a (high) school and there's not at least one Division I prospect.

I think there was a discussion about how S. Fla's recruiting ranking were about even with ISU's over the last few years but according to Dmac, the ranking don't mean much. I think this just proves we were not getting the talent to really compete but I think we knew that. Not trying to make this a bash Dan post, it is just an interesting and telling quote coming from our former coach.
    Although I agree that we are in a tough recruiting spot and USF may indeed have better talent (obviously they do), just because Mac says something does not make it proof...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    Although I agree that we are in a tough recruiting spot and USF may indeed have better talent (obviously they do), just because Mac says something does not make it proof...
    Are you implying that Mac is making the situation better that it is, or spinning? No, I dont believe Mac would do something like that.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

From watching our recruiting and being familiar with Florida HS football it seemd we were going after that 6-7-8-9 best players on the good teams in Florida rather than going after the stars at some of the smaller schools. I am guessing South Florida has a better chance at seeing these guys more often, getting them at camp and therefore getting the 'sleepers' in Florida. I was always curious seeing some of the Florida guys (from my district!) who I had never even heard of playing for Iowa State.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 74

Florida and Texas. That's where A LOT of talent lies.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

You will have the obvious reasons (population, weather, etc) but I think the main advantage is coaching, at every level. There is a high school in Tampa that just replaced former CFL All Star Kerwin Bell with former NFL player Ricky Nattiel. My old high school coach had a super bowl ring with the Cowboys then went on to be an OL coach with the Redskins. My Pop Warner coach played at Clemson and midgets league coach was a former all SEC player.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by cydsho View Post

Omaha.com Sports Section

You gotta be kidding me! It took McCarney 12 years and getting canned to figure out he wasn't getting the talent to Iowa State? His comment should be an insult to every Iowa State fan and to our players. Good riddance.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

Mac may be spinning, but lets keep in mind that South Florida is currently in the TOP FIVE in the country.....they had better have some talent.

What it takes for teams like us and those before us (USF, Rutgers) is recruiting an "average" class (I hate recruit rankings too) and coaching them up, getting a little lucky on some under-ranked players, and getting into the top 10. Then the key is to keep it going. Mac was close to doing this (he cracked the top 10 for about a week), but obviously couldn't ride any of the momentum what-so-ever.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    Mac may be spinning, but lets keep in mind that South Florida is currently in the TOP FIVE in the country.....they had better have some talent.

What it takes for teams like us and those before us (USF, Rutgers) is recruiting an "average" class (I hate recruit rankings too) and coaching them up, getting a little lucky on some under-ranked players, and getting into the top 10. Then the key is to keep it going. Mac was close to doing this (he cracked the top 10 for about a week), but obviously couldn't ride any of the momentum what-so-ever.
    What bothers me is that Mac told us every year about all the great talent he was getting. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about, or he full of it now.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 67

South Florida has a good team, but their #5 ranking is a joke. Top 15, yes. OK they beat WV, but without their best player. SF would not beat half of the teams in the Big 12 on neutral field. But, we probably will not find out until they get waxed in their bowl game.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    South Florida has a good team, but their #5 ranking is a joke. Top 15, yes. OK they beat WV, but without their best player. SF would not beat half of the teams in the Big 12 on neutral field. But, we probably will not find out until they get waxed in their bowl game.
    I think they would beat every Big 12 team on a neurtal field except OU and Mizzou. I've been very impressed with their speed on defense and their offense is not to be taken lightly. I'd take their QB over most in the Big 12. I'd say their top 5 ranking is a little high, but not much.

Just my opinion.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 248

"South Florida has a good team, but their #5 ranking is a joke. "

Tell me you have seen their team play more than once over the past few years. Cuz if you have you would realize their team speed on Defense is unreal. They also have a solid qb.

They deserve their top 5 ranking. Beat every team in front of them so far this year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    Ummm...last I checked, USF was whooping up on WV before the injury. They dominated that in about every way. They have earned that spot.

Now, part of that high ranking is many of the big dogs have fallen. If USC, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, etc - were undefeated, USF would barely be inside the top 10.

But, that's not the case and for right now, they are playing like one of the best teams in the country.