Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 92

Iowa Versus Missouri

Anyone have Gary Dolphin's email address? After the first game of the 06 season Gary announced on the air how Missouri did Iowa a favor by canceling their series. That way Iowa was able to schedule 1AA powerhouse Montana. He went on the say the they were a tougher opponent than Missouri would have been anyway. I wonder how many Iowa fans are sad that they do not play Missouri this year? They ended up replacing the Tiger with Westen Michigan. I'd like to send Dolpin an email reminding him of the stupidity of his comments. I'ts no wonder that Hawk fans have such a twisted sense of reality. Look at their leadership: Gary Dolphin, Jon Miller, Ed Podolak, Bob Brooks, and Jim Zabel. Wow.........that's a tanker full of Black and Gold Kool Aid.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: Iowa Versus Missouri

The only team in the state that might give Mizzu a game would be UNI. Even then, the way Mizzu is playing - they'd pound the Panthers too.

But that game would be closer than the pending ISU match-up (unless light bulbs suddenly go on) or a possible Iowa-Mizzu game.

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

I'm not completely sold on Mizzou yet. If they play Oklahoma tough in Norman, I'll be a believer, win or lose. If they pull a 2002 Iowa State @ Oklahoma, they will be considered pretenders. For the North's sake, I hope Mizzou wins. And then I hope we beat them to keep them from winning the North...maybe they miss a short field goal at the end of regulation and then we win in OT.

www.drivethelane.com/bask - A great college basketball simulation. Give it a try, it's FREE, not to mention addicting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The only team in the state that might give Mizzu a game would be UNI. Even then, the way Mizzu is playing - they'd pound the Panthers too.

But that game would be closer than the pending ISU match-up (unless light bulbs suddenly go on) or a possible Iowa-Mizzu game.
    Having a bad morning?

I have loads of respect for the UNI program, but our guys are getting better and it's not like UNI cruised past us. Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, we did beat MU last season. Try to maintain a little optimism.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Having a good morning. I guess I'll apologize for being realistic.

Mizzu is a much better team this year than they were last year. Or at least, they're playing much better football. That said, they've been known to fade late in the season. Plus, we did have a little thing called "win one for the guy on his way out" on our side.

When I look back on that UNI game, I look at a team that kinda beat us up. No, not dominate, but they did take it to us and capitalized on our many mistakes. That's a damn good football team up there in Cedar Falls.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No, being realistic is recognizing that we have a large hill to climb and there may not be many wins in the near future. Not suggesting that nobody in the state has a shot at Missouri, especially not us. Cheer up, man. It'll get better!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am aware it'll get better. Much like the basketball season last year compared to this one (which has been hurt by some departures, but still looks bright).

I'm fully aware of the direction of this program. However I'm not going to sugarcoat things because of it. We're a bad team right now and everyone in the North except for Nebraska looks heads-and-shoulders better than us. And we've already been defeated by Nebraska.

This team has the abilities to win a game or two - yet right now you really can't point to a game and call it winable. That would take a level of execution we've yet to see from this team. Not just this year, but last year as well.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Would it be fair to say my realism is tempered by medium-to-long-term optimism, while yours is tempered by short-term pessimism? Sounds like you could use a visit from this guy:

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

*sigh*

Again, I'm being realistic about this year. I'm not going to pretend we're something that we are not.

Next fall is a completely different story.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

If you want to see some real fan Kool-aide, check out the recent Hawkeye Blogs and comments on DMjuice.com. The Den guy claims Iowa has a "s**t load" more talent than ISU does this season and for some reason even brings Jim Harbaugh and Stanford's big win in to back up his reasoning? It's panic time in Hawkeye land right now

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

Give it time give it time....This is missouri we are talking about. They always do this, go out 5-0 beat someone, get ranked and then fold. This has happend to them like 5 seasons in a row.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Give it time give it time....This is missouri we are talking about. They always do this, go out 5-0 beat someone, get ranked and then fold. This has happend to them like 5 seasons in a row.
    Yeah that's how it happens in a good year. I grew up a Mizzou fan and you can draw a lot of similarities between Mizzou and ISU. You'll have a couple years where they get out to a fast start and then fall apart and the rest of the time 4 wins is a good season.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

I don't think Iowa would beat the Tigers this year - in fact I highly doubt it would be much of a game.

However, at the time, Mizzou canceled the series when Iowa was a top 10 program for 2 straight years, and the Tigers dropped the Hawks for Arkansas State.

Of course, now they probably regret that decision, but it's not like they canceled because Iowa was a weak team at the time...

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

I think some people are giving UNI way too much credit for being this crazy good football team. Sure they are good, but come on guys....
    1. They played us the 2nd game of the year were we didn't even know who was starting.
    2. We absolutely gave that game away with stupid play after stupid play. Horrible interceptions, not bad HORRIBLE plays by a Senior QB. Missed Extra points/ Field goals (Got to give UNI credit on getting them I guess). Sandvig fumbled like 13 punts.
    3. We are horrible. Probably one of the worst out of 119 teams and they barely beat us.

If you add that up, I don't think that makes them a great team that is going to tear through the Big12. I get kind of tired of that. They snuck by a potetial 1-11 team the 2nd game of the year. Go state champs.

All that being said....Mizzou would roll all teams in the State of Iowa this year. Maybe even Valley.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    I think some people are giving UNI way too much credit for being this crazy good football team. Sure they are good, but come on guys....
    1. They played us the 2nd game of the year were we didn't even know who was starting.
    2. We absolutely gave that game away with stupid play after stupid play. Horrible interceptions, not bad HORRIBLE plays by a Senior QB. Missed Extra points/ Field goals (Got to give UNI credit on getting them I guess). Sandvig fumbled like 13 punts.
    3. We are horrible. Probably one of the worst out of 119 teams and they barely beat us.

If you add that up, I don't think that makes them a great team that is going to tear through the Big12. I get kind of tired of that. They snuck by a potetial 1-11 team the 2nd game of the year. Go state champs.

All that being said....Mizzou would roll all teams in the State of Iowa this year. Maybe even Valley.
    Were you at the UNI game? UNI controlled the entire game, Sanders walked down the field at will, dinking and dunking the entire way. The final score was not indicative of the truely pathetic fight we out up. The didn't "sneak" by, the beat us solidly.

UNI is a good FCS team, we are a bad FBS team. I do not beleive anyone has ever stated on this board that the Panthers would "tear up the Big 12", bring the quotes or don't make false claims.

Give a little credit when its due.