Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2 YEARS & COUNTING

Two straight years without a conference victory-OUCH!!

After today we are 2-11 and 0-6 in our conference. Very disappointing season again but it seems almost all cyclones have accepted and lowered their expectations. Some say the sport is an individual sport with the individuals performance making the team result. We have gone away from both team and individual success to celebrating one or two individual victories or some takedowns and escapes.

Tough weekend for Iowa wrestling both IA and ISU went 0-4. Hawks are freaking out but I would give BOTH nutz to have their coaches and results the past two seasons. Oh well let the queso bashing and ISU execuses begin

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Re: 2 YEARS & COUNTING

derp.

Prospect
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree queso. I have been trying to be positive about our program, but the past 2 season have been pathetic and in 2009-2010 we should have finished no worse then 2nd.

We went 0-6 in confence this year and with Mark Cody at Oklahoma the conference isn't getting any easier.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 542
    Given: 377

So this must be what it's like to be an Alabama or Texas football fan or a North Carolina or Duke basketball fan - the program is clearly in rebuilding mode since Cael left and took his guys with him, yet somehow ISU is still rated #16 in the country, but because we're not tearing up the conference "something MUST be done." Relax. If we're still having this discussion in a couple of years, then let's talk...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 31

Really too bad, ISU once was a force. With fb and bb looking up, it seems wr is getting forgotten, I guess having three thriving programs at once is just not in the cards... When is Cael coming back...

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 363

Is getting banned from one board not enough for you queso?

Besides, I'd take Jackson over Brands any day of the week. Both are Olympic gold medalists, but unlike Brands, Jackson can actually function in normal society.

The team has been improving every week and we have lots of freshman and sophomores starting as well as a great recruiting class to help fill in the holes in our lineup. Jackson had to start from scratch, but Cyclone Wrestling is rebuilding and getting stronger every day. We're a top 5 team next year and I think we have a legit chance at winning it all by the time the current freshmen are seniors.

Last edited by Judoka; 01-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Is getting banned from one board not enough for you queso?

Besides, I'd take Jackson over Brands any day of the week. Both are Olympic gold medalists, but unlike Brands, Jackson can actually function in normal society.

The team has been improving every week and we have lots of freshman and sophomores starting as well as a great recruiting class to help fill in the holes in our lineup. Jackson had to start from scratch, but Cyclone Wrestling is rebuilding and getting stronger every day. We're a top 5 team next year and I think we have a legit chance at winning it all by the time the current freshmen are seniors.
    Seriously? Brands is a giant d-bag... but I will take wins any day of the week vs. 2-11 record.

Pollard has seemed to strike out on his first hire and exceed expectations on the second... should probably look into this option.

People will always make excuses and say we are showing improvement... but it is a win now world. You only get so many years.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan1 View Post
    Seriously? Brands is a giant d-bag... but I will take wins any day of the week vs. 2-11 record.
    Brands wouldn't have been able to do any better with the hand Jackson was dealt.

Unless of course he got to bring in two year's worth of double recruiting classes once again, that is.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan1 View Post
    Is getting banned from one board not enough for you queso?Besides, I'd take Jackson over Brands any day of the week. Both are Olympic gold medalists, but unlike Brands, Jackson can actually function in normal society.The team has been improving every week and we have lots of freshman and sophomores starting as well as a great recruiting class to help fill in the holes in our lineup. Jackson had to start from scratch, but Cyclone Wrestling is rebuilding and getting stronger every day. We're a top 5 team next year and I think we have a legit chance at winning it all by the time the current freshmen are seniors.
    Seriously? Brands is a giant d-bag... but I will take wins any day of the week vs. 2-11 record.Pollard has seemed to strike out on his first hire and exceed expectations on the second... should probably look into this option.People will always make excuses and say we are showing improvement... but it is a win now world. You only get so many years.
    Didn't Pollard hire Cael?

Starter
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 10

Yes, the overall record is not good, but many of the wrestlers(who are very young as a team) have taken great strides this year. I understand that by itself isn't enough, but it does show KJ has some coaching ability.

Next year will be a better indicator of which direction the program is headed, IMO.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Didn't Pollard hire Cael?
    That was his point, that Pollard tends to fail in his first hire and hit a home run in his second. Most actual wrestling fans feel that he kept that trend with wrestling coaches. Some don't. Time is proving them wrong, but we'll know for sure by the end of next year.

Year 1: A lot of scholarship money was tied up with the senior class and the timing of Cael's exit meant there was no time to recruit. The seniors performed better than they had under Cael and if not for Cael's brother leaving plus Gallick getting hurt we would have likely won nationals. We could afford one of those two losses, but not both. Keep in mind Cael tried to take everyone, but ISU only released his brother.

Year 2: Every not named "Weatherman" overperformed. But we had a lot of holes in the lineup due to the fact that the wrestlers that were supposed to replace the senior class from the year before are at Penn State. We take our lumps while redshirting a talented class of recruits. Boaz Beard takes a year off to try to get a Baseball contract. Reader starts the year barely in the top 10 and ends up an undefeated champion. Both Spangler and Sorenson get hurt right before nationals.

Year 3 (Now): Every freshman not named "Joey Cozart" pans out. Some, like Goettl and Moreno, disapoint at first and take time to come into their own. But half of our expect lineup goes down to injury. Even so, we are a top 20 team and have much more depth.

We improve throughout the year every year and from year to year. There is no way to reject that.

Here's how I see Year 4:
    125: Finch is an AA
    133: Meeks is R12, give or take
    141: Goettl is AA, possible finalist
    149: McCauley is AA, possible finalist
    157: Moreno/Weatherman qualifies, possible R12
    165: (assuming Caldwell rumors don't pan out) Moreno qualifies. If we get Caldwell then likely finalist
    174: Spangler is AA, possible finalist
    184: Boaz Beard is AA
    197: Gadsen is R12 (tough to guess since he's been injured). If it is Shafer I think with a year to bulk up he is a qualifier and wins a match or two
    HWT: Gibson is R12 or AA

If Caldwell doesn't come to Ames then Spangler at 165 and England/Weatherman at 174 means AA/Finalist at 165 and R12 or AA at 174 if Spangler can make it back to 165 like he was last year.

That's one hell of a team. 10 qualifiers and zero holes for duals. With only 1 or two seniors in the group.

Queso, tell me how I'm wrong with next year's lineup. I'd love to hear your insights.

Last edited by Judoka; 01-22-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by BirdOfWar View Post
    Yes, the overall record is not good, but many of the wrestlers(who are very young as a team) have taken great strides this year. I understand that by itself isn't enough, but it does show KJ has some coaching ability.

Next year will be a better indicator of which direction the program is headed, IMO.
    I hate to be all negative - because I do like Jackson.

However, we kept saying the same for McDermott... each year was always supposed to be a better indicator of where the program was going... and we never got anywhere.

Then you get a new figure in there and things turn around instantly. Rhoads and Hoiberg both had empty cupboards and turned things around in year 1 and 2.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 3

That was his point, that Pollard tends to fail in his first hire and hit a home run in his second. Most actual wrestling fans feel that he kept that trend with wrestling coaches. Some don't. Time is proving them wrong, but we'll know for sure by the end of next year.

Year 1: A lot of scholarship money was tied up with the senior class and the timing of Cael's exit meant there was no time to recruit. The seniors performed better than they had under Cael and if not for Cael's brother leaving plus Gallick getting hurt we would have likely won nationals. We could afford one of those two losses, but not both. Keep in mind Cael tried to take everyone, but ISU only released his brother.

Year 2: Every not named "Weatherman" overperformed. But we had a lot of holes in the lineup due to the fact that the wrestlers that were supposed to replace the senior class from the year before are at Penn State. We take our lumps while redshirting a talented class of recruits. Boaz Beard takes a year off to try to get a Baseball contract. Reader starts the year barely in the top 10 and ends up an undefeated champion. Both Spangler and Sorenson get hurt right before nationals.

Year 3 (Now): Every freshman not named "Joey Cozart" pans out. Some, like Goettl and Moreno, disapoint at first and take time to come into their own. But half of our expect lineup goes down to injury. Even so, we are a top 20 team and have much more depth.

We improve throughout the year every year and from year to year. There is no way to reject that.

Here's how I see Year 4:
    125: Finch is an AA
    133: Meeks is R12, give or take
    141: Goettl is AA, possible finalist
    149: McCauley is AA, possible finalist
    157: Moreno/Weatherman qualifies, possible R12
    165: (assuming Caldwell rumors don't pan out) Moreno qualifies. If we get Caldwell then likely finalist
    174: Spangler is AA, possible finalist
    184: Boaz Beard is AA
    197: Gadsen is R12 (tough to guess since he's been injured). If it is Shafer I think with a year to bulk up he is a qualifier and wins a match or two
    HWT: Gibson is R12 or AA

If Caldwell doesn't come to Ames then Spangler at 165 and England/Weatherman at 174 means AA/Finalist at 165 and R12 or AA at 174 if Spangler can make it back to 165 like he was last year.

That's one hell of a team. 10 qualifiers and zero holes for duals. With only 1 or two seniors in the group.

Queso, tell me how I'm wrong with next year's lineup. I'd love to hear your insights.
    He has no insights. Just gripes. We all want to win. Next year we should.

Prospect
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

CS left the program in great shape. We loss only one recruit who followed DT. KJ as well as some of you were quick to give him all the credit his first year but fail to credit him for the last 3 years. KJ has proven he is clueless when it comes to pulling redshirts out. "Hawaiin kid" is now ineligible or done for the year what a great move by the staff.

Our program has a middle school light weight coach and our head coach struggles to knows more than uh um words. In the real world people are held accountable for their actions and results. Do you think if I was running a company and I had loss money the past three years I would still have my job? KJ needs to go it's no secret especially after this season. The same execuses were used last year-next year next year

The longer we wait the longer we continuing to fall further. We can't be adding depth with NAIA caliber kids but we need guys who are legit DI wrestlers.