Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Questions about Twitter

I have never gotten into the twitter thing but have many friends that love it. So, I have a few questions about. Do you have to "tweet" or can you just follow people? How do you find people you want to follow, can you just look up their name or something? Are there notifications on the ones you follow similar to facebook or do you just look them up to read stuff?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

KFitzy87

Re: Questions about Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    I have never gotten into the twitter thing but have many friends that love it. So, I have a few questions about. Do you have to "tweet" or can you just follow people? How do you find people you want to follow, can you just look up their name or something? Are there notifications on the ones you follow similar to facebook or do you just look them up to read stuff?

You don't have to tweet if you don't want to... I have <100 tweets and I've had Twitter for six months or so; the only real reason I have it is to keep up on Cyclone athletes. You can just search for the name of people to find them... And you just look the people up you follow to keep up or it's all in one giant ticker line... No real notifications

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    You don't have to tweet if you don't want to... I have <100 tweets and I've had Twitter for six months or so; the only real reason I have it is to keep up on Cyclone athletes. You can just search for the name of people to find them... And you just look the people up you follow to keep up or it's all in one giant ticker line... No real notifications

This. I graduated about a year before Facebook and social networking got popular, and I still don't have a Facebook account, but I joined Twitter this summer when the whole conference realignment fiasco got going again in August. If you follow people that cover your interests, i.e. Iowa State sports, the Big 12 conference, college football/basketball, you will never be out of the loop. It is great.

Plus, you throw in a few fake accounts for humor Not Steel Jantz, Fake Dan Beebe... You'll never look back!

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    Who are some of the good ones to follow for Cyclone updates?

Prospect
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

You can absolutely just "follow" people and not post a single thing.

In order to find people, I usually just search for their name. Or, if they have an alias
    "The Rock" for example (Dwayne Johnson).

I don't have a smart phone (yet) so I just use a program called tweetdeck.
    Twitter bought the app and really goofed it up. HERE is a link to the old version which I think is much better.

It will help you with posts, and it will keep everyone elses's posts you follow in 1 nice place.

You will notice that a lot of tv shows and other programs - the GOP debates for example put up a hash tag: "#gopdebate" or something like that. That is like a tag. If anyone does a serch for that tag, anything that anyone says using that tag will show up in your search. Its a neat way to see what others say. A hash tag can be anything you want it to be. There are no rules. However, if CF had a hash tag, and you wanted your "tweet" to show up to anyone following CF, you would want to make sure you are using a tag that most people are using. To find that, just do a few searches.

You can talk to everyone by just typing and posting. If you want to talk directly to someone you use the "@" symbol followed by their twitter handle. For example:
    @cyclonefanatic would talk directly to whomever is in charge of the twitter account at cyclone fanatic.

One thing you will notice that is very annoying. If you talk about something - car insurance or something - don't be suprised if you get a bunch of insurance providers following you. Or some random person (usually spam) sending you a message about cheap insurance.

Hope this helps! Everyone is a beginner at some point. Just gotta jump in and go.

KFitzy87

Most of the basketball players tweet fairly often... I get quite a few it seems from Jared Barnett, Shontrelle Johnson, and AJ Klein to name a few FB players

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    I have never gotten into the twitter thing but have many friends that love it. So, I have a few questions about.

Do you have to "tweet" or can you just follow people?

No, you do not have to tweet. You can just follow people if you choose. My dad has a twitter account. Not once has he ever tweeted, but he follows certain people for news/business purposes.

How do you find people you want to follow, can you just look up their name or something?

Yes. You can use the search tool at the top of the twitter page.

Are there notifications on the ones you follow similar to facebook or do you just look them up to read stuff?

Using a program such as TweetDeck, if someone sends a tweet directly to you, it will pop up right away in the "Mentions" column, letting you know.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Cool, thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also: what's the best way to reasonably stalk and live vicariously through a recruit and try to persuade him to go to your school?

Please note, I do not want to seem desperate, I just think I have some really good reasons why he should go to my school.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

You don't have to tweet. I didn't tweet for probably 2 years, and just followed people. There are some celebrities too who don't even follow anyone.

You can look for people by name, or you could do a search at the top. Let's say for "Iowa State" while a game is going on is fun. There is a mode you can change to for real time search. It's defaulted to the top tweets, but you can change to "All" to see what's happening. When ISU is doing well on a national scale, I love watching Twitter to see what outsiders think of ISU or one of our players.

You could do it for anything though really.