Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

Things I Like so Far

I know this has been rehashed several times, but Phil Steele, who I think is the best CF prognositcator out there, is really into 3 stats - Time of Possession, First Downs, and turnover margin. I might be a little off here and correct me if I am, but he has said that when teams have a lot of first downs and control the clock but really suffer from a terrible turnover margin (your 2007 Cyclones!) they tend to bounce back because some of that bad luck will reverse and the new guys will pick up the offensive system better.

The defense is obviously better than it was last year, last week nonwithstanding and TT puts up numbers like that on everybody in the league not named Texas and Oklahoma as our boy ***** said.

Obviously I'd like to see more wins, and the coaching staff and players together really gave up some that they could have won, but I really like the direction of the program right now. This year was less about wins for me and more about what I think is progress in the program, kind of how I felt about the basketball season last year.

I'm going into games the rest of the season to have a good time win or lose. I don't have any control over what happens out there other than trying to make some noise on third downs and create a positive, happy environment in the stadium.

Let's have a good time the rest of this year starting with the Texas game and hopefully an ISU victory. Look at it this way - the season is already half over. We look forward to this for 8 months and it's here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Re: Things I Like so Far

I get the feeling that we are playing better than last year, just not winning yet. I'll still make it to most of the remaining games (that 5.5 hr drive to Ames is sometimes a little hard to make). This year has been a little easier to take because the bragging rights around the cooler have been divided pretty evenly

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

The next two ganmes are big - to show if we improved on the scores from last yeaar. We did not do too bad last year.

One thing we stink at is our rushing defense players normally do not put their hands up to distract the passer except for the linebackers. Colt McCoy throws a somewhat low ball. Cmn lineman, do it like the pros.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 23

BryceC I see you started a post on HN trying to reason with the Hawkeye fans that they are better fans then what they are showing.... Come on.. Haven't you learned you can't reason with a Hawk fan. I like you logic on the subject, but seriously....

This might make more sense...

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Rookie
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

I feel we are, overall, playing better, more physical football, than last year. The tech game was the first game this season that we were truly "blown out" and had no chance to win heading into the 4th quarter. Our record makes it look a whole lot worse than it is though and the way shoot ourself in the foot, or should I say temple??? I'll take Mac's approach and here's to a winning record the second half of the season.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Great post (as usual) Bryce!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I grew up with almost entirely Hawk fan friends. I honestly only had one friend that was an ISU fan all through high school and so I've always kind of rooted for everybody. It's a lot more fun to talk sports if everybody is happy with their team.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 418

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I grew up with almost entirely Hawk fan friends. I honestly only had one friend that was an ISU fan all through high school and so I've always kind of rooted for everybody. It's a lot more fun to talk sports if everybody is happy with their team.
    I'll never understand how a Cyclone can even remotely root for the Hawks after the way they've treated us for the last 20 years. I gre up a Hawk fan and now have a complete disdain for them. I have many Hawk friends but could never root for that team on any level no matter who they are playing.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I haven't had any super negative experiences with Hawk fans outside of drunk people at the games and people on message boards, and both generally represent the lunatic fringe of a fanbase. It's not like I watch all their games and break down their plays. I just hate sitting there hearing people rehash 50 more things they could have done to win and how Christensen sucks. It gets old.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

We are getting better and GC is the right coach for this team. The D has made huge strides from last year. The frustrating thing is our O and the lack of points it puts up. Granted, Meyer isn't spending half of the game on his back like he did last year.

Still, I really don't understand how we can dominate the time of possession and # of plays like we did at NU and still lose by a significant margin. Meyer isn't improving and we might as well get Arnaud some playing time for the future. I don't think Meyer needs to be replaced completely, but Austin should get more reps as the season progresses.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I haven't had any super negative experiences with Hawk fans outside of drunk people at the games and people on message boards, and both generally represent the lunatic fringe of a fanbase. It's not like I watch all their games and break down their plays. I just hate sitting there hearing people rehash 50 more things they could have done to win and how Christensen sucks. It gets old.
    I think many/most of us have. It's sick and wrong, but I fully enjoy watching the Hawks implode a la last year and this year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

This post is a great example too, it was completely about ISU until the first mention of Iowa, then the tides completely turned.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I like the way Coach Chizik handles himself, win or lose. The Gene Chizik show is a refreshing change. No endless self promoting, no $1,000 suits, no excuses and no mention of how well he did in the past and the fact he went to bowl games before. Just the facts.