Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 284

Defensive End Recruiting

Third in a Series (next may wait until Monday)

A third position in need of badly needed upgrade and establishment is the defensive end corps. We’ll get to the tackles later, but for the moment, the end corps gets our attention. Why? Because they complement the corners so much, and in the series we’ve been referring to combating OU’s ballyhooed batch of receivers. It’s a multi-tiered attack, after all. One side complements the other. Good corners make your pass rush better, and a good pass rush makes your corners better.

Any discussion of the defensive end recruiting has to begin with David Irving, and not only because he’s the one youngster that we’ve seen play. I’ll paraphrase Jake Knott—Irving can run, he can jump, he has length, he has size—he’ll be one of the greats. Knott should know—at full health, he is one of the greats. Though he probably wishes he had a little of DI’s height as well. When I look at Irving, I can’t help but think of some of the NFL’s all-time greats. L.C. Greenwood. Carl Eller. Bubba Smith. Irving has a rare blend of size and sheer athleticism not seen on defense in a Cyclone uniform since Matt Blair was roaming the field back in the early Seventies. 1972-‘73? That’s entirely too long. I can’t wait for Irving to put it all together. If he follows Knott and A.J. Klein’s path, that arrival will be this Fall—and he’s already slightly ahead of their curve.

Oh yeah—one last note about Irving? I can’t help but remember that when he first committed, he said that Wally had told him that one thing he liked was that David was athletic enough to drop into coverage. Now, can’t you just see that happening?

Where we go from the Irving cornerstone is to all of the other pieces. Sure, in the short term that’s Rosey Maggitt, but he only has a single season left. If Ishmail Hayes makes it into school, he and Willie Scott are a bridge for another year—like with Clifford Stokes. Just know that Hayes is an example of the length and athleticism this staff is looking for. What we’re looking for is the long term solution, success, and establishment of the position as a strength. And that begins with the younger guys.

Which is where we start with a couple of Irving’s age peers, guys who finished high school the same year. Devin Lemke and Corey Morrissey. Theoretically, two peas in the same pod. Both small town Iowa kids, both currently somewhere around 6’4” 240. If we’re lucky, the two will spend the remainder of their college careers together, punishing running backs and terrorizing quarterbacks.

Honestly, I don’t know how to tell the two apart, short of Spring practice—which is just around the bend. It seems that the coaches at least slightly preferred Lemke to Morrissey, since they offered him first, right out of high school. Lemke was a good track athlete, which should mean that he has some explosion off the edge. Morrissey racked up several sacks as a true freshman in junior college, which shows that he has some skills as well. Hopefully he’ll get a redshirt, then we’ll see them play together for three more years.

Which brings us to the current crop of high school recruits, Collin Bevins and Pierre Aka. I’m going to say that these two certainly appear to bolster the defensive end corps significantly. At the same time, I’ll warn that neither may ever see a single snap at defensive end. Of course, either way is a good thing. It means that the team is getting better.

Take Bevins, for example. Him next, just because he’s an Iowa kid. Again, the Hawkeyes give me pause, just as they do with Charles Rogers. In Collins’ case, it’s because they did offer him—only, apparently offered him as a possible tight end or offensive lineman, rather than on the defensive side of the ball. That makes me stop and think, for two reasons. One, much the same as with cornerbacks, Iowa is desperate for defensive ends. Even moreso, however, Iowa knows both tight ends and offensive linemen—they churn both out to the NFL. If they offered Bevins on that side of the ball, perhaps his future is brighter there—and it’s not as if we’re overstocked at either of those positions…especially tight end. So, toss in the possibility that Collin might also mature into a defensive tackle, and you see why I say he might never see a snap as a defensive end.

Pierre Aka is a different story. What obfuscates the issue with him is the fact that he only played offensive tackle his senior year. That, and the fact that when he committed, he said that he was recruited to play either H-back, offensive or defensive line. Quite the variety. Then there is the fact that some sources of information provide so much nowadays as to become disinformation.

Take, for example, the fact that someone was chortling over the fact that Pierre is the same size as DeMarcus Ware was when he came out of college. Really? A lot of guys can say that. Matter of fact, Pierre is also the same size that Brian Urlacher was when he came out of college. But tell me, can he also run a 4.52 40, as either of those two was quite capable of doing?

Seriously. I like Aka. He’s a good student, a good athlete, a good leader, much like Oni Omoile. And it’s clear to me that much like Omoile, he was a real recruiting steal. Second only, perhaps, to Irving. But remember, the very first thing the staff did with Omoile when he got to campus was to switch him to another position. That lasted a whole day. The very next day, he was back on the offensive line. In Aka’s case, considering what position we haven’t gotten a commitment for, I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see him catching passes the second day of camp. As with anyone else, only time will tell.

Much as for the entire position. Will we have a pass rush? A ferocious pass rush? I don’t know, though the unit will definitely be deeper. The only thing I’m sure of, with Maggitt and Nelson about to complete their eligibility, is that CPR’s boys will be back out there recruiting again next year.

’13 Impact on recruiting
    I cannot think of a lot of great ends for the Cyclones historically—though I believe that Blair played a standup end in a 5-2 defense. Didn’t Chris Boskey play tackle? Reggie Hayward didn’t reach his full potential as a ’Clone, neither did Jason Berryman—albeit for vastly different reasons. The sack record, a rather modest total, is held by a former walkon.

So the way I look at it, nothing is set in stone. Even if Irving proves to be a monster already next season, his career will already be half over. Time to recruit his eventual replacement. So, unless Lemke or Morrissey proves to be the second coming of Jared Allen, or Aka really is another Ware, the staff will be hitting the recruiting road hard here once again. The good news is, we’re still a heck of a lot better off than we were three years ago.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Defensive End Recruiting

Aka played defense this year. His school misused him, probably out of necessity, at NG/DE on a 3 man line.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqBBEd5jf8&feature=related"]Pierre Aka - Senior Highlights - YouTube[/ame]
    Nice work. I enjoy these

Last edited by Yes13; 01-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Third in a Series (next may wait until Monday)

A third position in need of badly needed upgrade and establishment is the defensive end corps. We’ll get to the tackles later, but for the moment, the end corps gets our attention. Why? Because they complement the corners so much, and in the series we’ve been referring to combating OU’s ballyhooed batch of receivers. It’s a multi-tiered attack, after all. One side complements the other. Good corners make your pass rush better, and a good pass rush makes your corners better.

Any discussion of the defensive end recruiting has to begin with David Irving, and not only because he’s the one youngster that we’ve seen play. I’ll paraphrase Jake Knott—Irving can run, he can jump, he has length, he has size—he’ll be one of the greats. Knott should know—at full health, he is one of the greats. Though he probably wishes he had a little of DI’s height as well. When I look at Irving, I can’t help but think of some of the NFL’s all-time greats. L.C. Greenwood. Carl Eller. Bubba Smith. Irving has a rare blend of size and sheer athleticism not seen on defense in a Cyclone uniform since Matt Blair was roaming the field back in the early Seventies. 1972-‘73? That’s entirely too long. I can’t wait for Irving to put it all together. If he follows Knott and A.J. Klein’s path, that arrival will be this Fall—and he’s already slightly ahead of their curve.

Oh yeah—one last note about Irving? I can’t help but remember that when he first committed, he said that Wally had told him that one thing he liked was that David was athletic enough to drop into coverage. Now, can’t you just see that happening?

Where we go from the Irving cornerstone is to all of the other pieces. Sure, in the short term that’s Rosey Maggitt, but he only has a single season left. If Ishmail Hayes makes it into school, he and Willie Scott are a bridge for another year—like with Clifford Stokes. Just know that Hayes is an example of the length and athleticism this staff is looking for. What we’re looking for is the long term solution, success, and establishment of the position as a strength. And that begins with the younger guys.

Which is where we start with a couple of Irving’s age peers, guys who finished high school the same year. Devin Lemke and Corey Morrissey. Theoretically, two peas in the same pod. Both small town Iowa kids, both currently somewhere around 6’4” 240. If we’re lucky, the two will spend the remainder of their college careers together, punishing running backs and terrorizing quarterbacks.

Honestly, I don’t know how to tell the two apart, short of Spring practice—which is just around the bend. It seems that the coaches at least slightly preferred Lemke to Morrissey, since they offered him first, right out of high school. Lemke was a good track athlete, which should mean that he has some explosion off the edge. Morrissey racked up several sacks as a true freshman in junior college, which shows that he has some skills as well. Hopefully he’ll get a redshirt, then we’ll see them play together for three more years.

Which brings us to the current crop of high school recruits, Collin Bevins and Pierre Aka. I’m going to say that these two certainly appear to bolster the defensive end corps significantly. At the same time, I’ll warn that neither may ever see a single snap at defensive end. Of course, either way is a good thing. It means that the team is getting better.

Take Bevins, for example. Him next, just because he’s an Iowa kid. Again, the Hawkeyes give me pause, just as they do with Charles Rogers. In Collins’ case, it’s because they did offer him—only, apparently offered him as a possible tight end or offensive lineman, rather than on the defensive side of the ball. That makes me stop and think, for two reasons. One, much the same as with cornerbacks, Iowa is desperate for defensive ends. Even moreso, however, Iowa knows both tight ends and offensive linemen—they churn both out to the NFL. If they offered Bevins on that side of the ball, perhaps his future is brighter there—and it’s not as if we’re overstocked at either of those positions…especially tight end. So, toss in the possibility that Collin might also mature into a defensive tackle, and you see why I say he might never see a snap as a defensive end.

Pierre Aka is a different story. What obfuscates the issue with him is the fact that he only played offensive tackle his senior year. That, and the fact that when he committed, he said that he was recruited to play either H-back, offensive or defensive line. Quite the variety. Then there is the fact that some sources of information provide so much nowadays as to become disinformation.

Take, for example, the fact that someone was chortling over the fact that Pierre is the same size as DeMarcus Ware was when he came out of college. Really? A lot of guys can say that. Matter of fact, Pierre is also the same size that Brian Urlacher was when he came out of college. But tell me, can he also run a 4.52 40, as either of those two was quite capable of doing?

Seriously. I like Aka. He’s a good student, a good athlete, a good leader, much like Oni Omoile. And it’s clear to me that much like Omoile, he was a real recruiting steal. Second only, perhaps, to Irving. But remember, the very first thing the staff did with Omoile when he got to campus was to switch him to another position. That lasted a whole day. The very next day, he was back on the offensive line. In Aka’s case, considering what position we haven’t gotten a commitment for, I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see him catching passes the second day of camp. As with anyone else, only time will tell.

Much as for the entire position. Will we have a pass rush? A ferocious pass rush? I don’t know, though the unit will definitely be deeper. The only thing I’m sure of, with Maggitt and Nelson about to complete their eligibility, is that CPR’s boys will be back out there recruiting again next year.

’13 Impact on recruiting
    I cannot think of a lot of great ends for the Cyclones historically—though I believe that Blair played a standup end in a 5-2 defense. Didn’t Chris Boskey play tackle? Reggie Hayward didn’t reach his full potential as a ’Clone, neither did Jason Berryman—albeit for vastly different reasons. The sack record, a rather modest total, is held by a former walkon.

So the way I look at it, nothing is set in stone. Even if Irving proves to be a monster already next season, his career will already be half over. Time to recruit his eventual replacement. So, unless Lemke or Morrissey proves to be the second coming of Jared Allen, or Aka really is another Ware, the staff will be hitting the recruiting road hard here once again. The good news is, we’re still a heck of a lot better off than we were three years ago.
    After watching Collin Bevins for the last few seasons, I pray that the defensive coaches put him at D-end. HE has a great first step that I have never seen before from a high school player in sw Iowa. He's hitting right now about 260lbs and looking good at that weight. The rumor is that ISU wants him about 290lbs and playing the middle of the defense.
    My opinion which isn't much feels that this is a waste. Put Collin at the rush end and let him run free. He can and will do some damage if this happens.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

Does Bevins have any defensive recruiting film?

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BTYamsac View Post
    After watching Collin Bevins for the last few seasons, I pray that the defensive coaches put him at D-end. HE has a great first step that I have never seen before from a high school player in sw Iowa. He's hitting right now about 260lbs and looking good at that weight. The rumor is that ISU wants him about 290lbs and playing the middle of the defense.
    My opinion which isn't much feels that this is a waste. Put Collin at the rush end and let him run free. He can and will do some damage if this happens.
    Time will tell what the staff feels is best to do with Collin.
    There are many factors to weigh when you are evaluating young men and trying to put together a roster(program).
    I like Collins footwork and frame but the waste would be to put him at DE,or RE as you call it.He projects higher(higher ceiling) if he hits 290 and plays inside.He could be very good there.I ..and the staff...would rather have a sure thing DT for 3 years than a maybe DE for 3 or 4 that could likely be filled by someone else.
    He fits so well inside.Thats hard to find.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 23

I think that Bevins ends up inside. He reminds me of a Jake McDonough/Jordan Carstens type player. It's been said that wrestling has kept his weight down and kept him from putting in the time that other FB players have spent in the weightroom. It doesn't surprise me at all that he's already up to 260. I think that after a RS year, he's going to be at 280+. He may well play some DE early on, but I'm betting that he ends up at DT. If he loses some of his quickness and speed, he could move to OL down the line, but I doubt it.

For returning DEs, I think that there are two big questions:
    1. How well will Maggitt recover from the knee injury?
    2. Will Hayes make it to Ames?

I'm excited to see what an offseason in the weightroom will do for David Irving.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    Aka played defense this year. His school misused him, probably out of necessity, at NG/DE on a 3 man line.
    Pierre Aka - Senior Highlights - YouTube
    Nice work. I enjoy these
    Thank you.

Bogus film. That's his junior year highlights that were posted here when he committed. Someone simply relabeled it.

I think that Collin could become any type of player from a Ben Lamaak to a Kevin DeRonde to Carstens/McDonough. If he's a standout, I don't really care where--and the coaches will work with him once he steps onto campus, and see where his skills best fit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 27

I remember Chris Boskey as a nose guard. His brother was an LB but I am pretty sure Chris line up over the center.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I remember Chris Boskey as a nose guard. His brother was an LB but I am pretty sure Chris line up over the center.
    That's what I thought. And he would have been a special player, except that he blew out a knee (while redshirting?) in a day before ACL/MCL surgery had reached the state it has today.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Thank you.

Bogus film. That's his junior year highlights that were posted here when he committed. Someone simply relabeled it.
    No. He wore 82 his junior year, He wore 50 (He had to play OT on offense, and not TE) his senior year. This is his junior year video, notice the 82 number, it was also posted March of 2011, before his senior year. The one I posted he's wearing 50 and it was posted December 5th 2011 after his senior year.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFt4kMpFkqo"]Pierre Aka - 2012 TE/DE - Indianapolis Pike - YouTube[/ame]

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89

Aka isn't moving to offense, and Bevins will be a DT.

Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty