Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 94

Luke Goettl

Who expected these kind of wins from Luke this year? I didn't even think he was our best option at 141, I thought hands down it would be Max Mayfield. I thought it would be at least the junior or senior year before we would start seeing this type of success. Luke truly loves wrestling and is working hard at it. I think he was barely (if even) ranked in the top 20 at his weight class coming out of high school.

Success from our RS freshman that I was expecting was
    1. Finch
    2. Gadsen
    3. Moreno
    4. Cozart
    5. Goettl
    6. England
    7. Voelker

Now I would put it
    1. Goettl
    2. Finch
    3. England
    4. Moreno
    5. Voelker
    6. Gadsen (hard to rate with injury)
    7. Cozart

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

Re: Luke Goettl

Cozart the most disappointing based on ranking out of HS. Gadsen the most based on preseason hype. Finch is at expectations. Moreno below but getting better(didn't seem to handle the weight cut well). Goettl blowing me away right now with how physically dominant he has been. He really controlled Maple last night. A few less mental mistakes and he flattens those shoulders to the mat. I think a 2x champion is a possibility for him. Before the season the only guy I would have had confidence saying that about would have been Gadsen.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 48

I would agree that based on progress from the start of the year, Luke has by far been working his tail off and been a great asset to this team. Been very happy with his contributions so far in his career. Hopefully he continues and can become ever greater in the ISU record books.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 628

I'm thrilled with Finch and Goettl especially. Those two are tearing it up. It took Goettl longer to get it going but I think he has more upside than Finch this season. I expect them both to be multiple AAs for us. They both have the possibility to AA this year if they get hot in March.

I'd put England third, he's wrestled well but hasn't broken through to being an elite guy, and also has had matches where he has sat on leads rather than finishing strong. I think these are just freshman lapses though and he's going to be a great wrestler for us.

Moreno at 4th. He didn't impress early on but I liked that he never gave up. Now he is starting to see the benefits and I think he'll be solid for the next three years. It'll be interesting to see whether he can keep the spot once Weatherman comes back from injury next season. Right now I'd give Moreno the edge.

I'm surprised Voelker hasn't seen the mat on varsity with how badly Shafer has struggled. So I'll put him 5th by default.

Cozart was an embarrassment. I am really surprised he didn't leave the team for spring semester. I can deal with wrestlers who are outclassed (I love what Swalla is doing out there, I wish he'd get some wins but he's giving his all for the team) but any wrestler who will intentionally give up in a match just to prove a point to the coaches doesn't belong in a Cyclone singlet. He is a distant 6th.

I'm leaving Gadsen out of the list because his injuries have prevented us from finding out whether he'll reach his potential and how he'd conduct himself on the mat.

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    Who expected these kind of wins from Luke this year? I didn't even think he was our best option at 141, I thought hands down it would be Max Mayfield. I thought it would be at least the junior or senior year before we would start seeing this type of success. Luke truly loves wrestling and is working hard at it. I think he was barely (if even) ranked in the top 20 at his weight class coming out of high school.

Success from our RS freshman that I was expecting was
    1. Finch
    2. Gadsen
    3. Moreno
    4. Cozart
    5. Goettl
    6. England
    7. Voelker

Now I would put it
    1. Goettl
    2. Finch
    3. England
    4. Moreno
    5. Voelker
    6. Gadsen (hard to rate with injury)
    7. Cozart

I'm not surprise with Gottle's success, he was recruited based on his potential like the rest of the team, and any knowledgable wrestling Fan would know that it takes time, and the coaches believe they all have the potential to be National Champions. We all know that you can't judge a wrestler on how they start, but most important is how they finish, especially in wrestling. I believe this team has great potential, KJ and staff are doing a great job.
    GO CYCLONES!

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 48

I said it before and ill say it again, I really do think that KJ is a helluva coach. He has proven that he can get more from a kid with less ability. We have to give him time.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Even with all the injuries we're right about where I was hoping we'd be this year. It took until the second half of the season to get there, but this team is really coming together and thriving. The future of Cyclone Wrestling is bright under Jackson.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 5

Earlier, in another thread, I posted the youtube video of KJ's gold medal match against the Iranian. Once I saw that, I understood what he keeps talking about - constant pressure and focus on the job at hand.

I remain to be convinced he is a rock star coach, because I need to see better recruiting - yes, he has some successes this year, but look at the other elite programs and they have recruited more depth than we have - but that may yet come. When KJ recruits with the same success as CJ, FH and PR - who just keep elevating every year - then I know he has arrived - and he is achieving what we expect of a Cyclone coach!!

But I give him credit where credit is due - for bringing the team so far along and Goettl really is a pleasure to watch. And he certainly has brought in some good talent.

Nothing succeeds like success.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm also holding out judgment on recruiting, but I think we're building a lot of depth already. Remember that Goettl, Shafer, Moreno, England, and Gibson are all second string. That's half our lineup that is down starters due to injury and 3 of those guys are likely qualifier with two of them possible R12 guys or better.

However, in today's wrestling world great teams are recruited more than they are made in the wrestling room. So we will have to see if Jackson can do that.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    I'm also holding out judgment on recruiting, but I think we're building a lot of depth already. Remember that Goettl, Shafer, Moreno, England, and Gibson are all second string. That's half our lineup that is down starters due to injury and 3 of those guys are likely qualifier with two of them possible R12 guys or better.

However, in today's wrestling world great teams are recruited more than they are made in the wrestling room. So we will have to see if Jackson can do that.
    I don't think Moreno was second string. He was always supposed to be the 157 this year, with Weatherman going down.I also highly doubt that Mayfield will come back and beat Goettl at 141 at this point. It is Goettl's weight. 149, 174, 197, and HW are guys that weren't supposed to be starting this year, though HW is a stretch considering everyone knew how beat up Simonson was last year at the end.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You're right. For some reason I was thinking Weatherman at 157 like he was last year. The point holds though, half the lineup is out. Though Swalla is more of a sacrificial lamb than an indication of depth. I love his fight and he never gives up, but I doubt even in his wildest dreams even he ever had any belief he'd be wrestling varsity as a true freshman.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Remember that Goettl, Shafer, Moreno, England, and Gibson are all second string.
    Shafer is more like third string -- behind Gadson and Ward.