Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Offensive/Defensive Efficiency

Get ready for some real nerdiness. And if you want to skip all the geek talk, scroll down to the bottom for some potentially good news on Texas.

I've been keeping track of stats for the past 6 weeks of ISU's offensive and defensive efficiency, as well as our opponents' stats to calculate a reasonable score prediction for each of our games.

The idea is based off a post I saw where YPP (Yards per Point) was a true indicator of the efficiency of an offense and defense. A low YPP average on offense, for example, indicates a powerful offense that can score at will, while a high YPP on offense reveals an inability to score points.

The exact opposite is true for the defense. A high YPP average yields a powerful defense, while a low YPP struggles to keep opponents off the field -- and out of the endzone.

So, to calculate scores, I've been averaging yards scored per game with yards allowed, and this is averaged with the YPP stat to determine the predicted score. Don't worry about this if you're confused... it makes sense in my Excel sheet.

Anyway, in comparing the calculated scores with the actual scores, one is able to graph a team's performance throughout the season. For example, the predicted score for Kent State vs. ISU has ISU losing 21-26. When compared to the actual 14-23 score, ISU underperformed on offense, but did overperform on defense.

The trend for the next two games had ISU on the upswing for the next two games, peaking at the Iowa game, where the calculated score has ISU losing 16-23. While the offense still did slightly worse than the predicted score, the defense knocked 10 points off the predicted score.

Where the team appears to have hit a brick wall was the Toledo game. While the offense exceded their calculated performance by 8 points, the defense allowed 7 points more than they were actually supposed to. (Special teams errors!!)

The good news for those who were lazy and scrolled down: The team has been on an upward trend ever since the Toledo game. The calculated score for the Texas Tech was 40-20 bad guys, which closely resembles the actual score of 42-17. The calculated score for the Texas game is 30-20, and if the upward trend is to be believed, the actual score could end up being around 27-24 bad guys.

This close score puts things in a gray area where the game could swing either way. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 35-17 score like against Nebraska, but the possibility is there for a great upset Saturday.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Offensive/Defensive Efficiency

Impressive! Where, might I ask, do you work that you are able to do such things?

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Clone4Life View Post
    Impressive! Where, might I ask, do you work that you are able to do such things?
    Lecture.

Really, I just do it in my downtime between classes. Not enough time to take a nap, but not enough time to just slow my pace to my next class.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Lecture.

Really, I just do it in my downtime between classes. Not enough time to take a nap, but not enough time to just slow my pace to my next class.

You should be a statistics major or work for Vegas in the actuary line department.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

hope this your right, and the upset is possible. up until the TT game i have felt some small improvements in the team since the kent state game. we still need to hold back 3 rushers

Two favorite teams, the Cyclones, and whoever is playing the Hawkeyes!

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

AirWalke- Any idea what the NCAA average points per yards would be? Such as 400 yards of offense should produce how many points? How many points/100 yards of offense?

Is there a "rule of thumb" for such a stat?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 603

I believe an Iowa atmosphere type crowd versus a UNI/Kent State crowd atmosphere would be a tremendous lift. The crowd sat on their hands after the first quarter for KSU.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.