Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 98,373, Level: 97
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    FDWxMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    98,373
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Car Experts: Check Engine

    Check engine light came on coming home from work today.

    Code is P0171 "System too lean Bank 1" on my Corolla.

    Most of the internet chatter seems to point at faulty or dirty MAF sensor, or O2 sensor issue. I'm not really experiencing any of the typical problems with stuff in that area (loss of power, etc) so everything seems to be driving fine.

    Had bad O2 sensor on an old car and it was obvious driving, not the case this time.

    Is it possible this could be in anyway related to the cold? First time it's had to sit out in the single digits all year, and it was a little slow starting when I left work.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,808, Level: 17
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Posts
    318
    Points
    3,808
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 42

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Ive been chasing this problem with my BMW for half a year now. It could be a vacuum leak that's the problem. Since its starting to get cold your intake hoses might have finally cracked due to old age and this latest cold snap may have been the last straw.

    When i got this code I went out and checked and a lot of my intake hoses (sometimes called boots) had huge cracks in them and the engine wasn't getting the right vacuum pressure.

    Does your car shake or stumble at all initially?



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 98,373, Level: 97
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    FDWxMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    98,373
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by JSmoove View Post
    Ive been chasing this problem with my BMW for half a year now. It could be a vacuum leak that's the problem. Since its starting to get cold your intake hoses might have finally cracked due to old age and this latest cold snap may have been the last straw.

    When i got this code I went out and checked and a lot of my intake hoses (sometimes called boots) had huge cracks in them and the engine wasn't getting the right vacuum pressure.

    Does your car shake or stumble at all initially?
    Haven't noticed anything performance-wise that would indicate a problem. Everything sounds/feels just fine to this point.



  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,808, Level: 17
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Posts
    318
    Points
    3,808
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 42

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Well like I said before. It could be a number of things. You can lose your mind chasing vacuum leaks. Hell I still haven't figured out mine yet.

    Maybe all you need to do is go to your local Autozone or something and get a can of MAF cleaner. Its about $6 a can. BMW's are not exactly known for being easy to work on and this job was super easy so I cant imagine it would be tough on your Corolla.

    Let us know what shakes out.


    Last edited by JSmoove; 01-19-2012 at 06:18 PM.

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,791, Level: 78
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesrule91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waukee
    Posts
    4,923
    Points
    64,791
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    At times changes in temp and humidity will make the O2 sensor code. If it's running fine give it a while and chances are it will go off.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 726,921, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    46,872
    Points
    726,921
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,007
    Given: 536

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    At times changes in temp and humidity will make the O2 sensor code. If it's running fine give it a while and chances are it will go off.
    So in a roundabout way, it's his own fault?



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 9,820, Level: 29
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CYCLONE STATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    529
    Points
    9,820
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by FDWxMan View Post
    Check engine light came on coming home from work today.

    Code is P0171 "System too lean Bank 1" on my Corolla.

    Most of the internet chatter seems to point at faulty or dirty MAF sensor, or O2 sensor issue. I'm not really experiencing any of the typical problems with stuff in that area (loss of power, etc) so everything seems to be driving fine.

    Had bad O2 sensor on an old car and it was obvious driving, not the case this time.

    Is it possible this could be in anyway related to the cold? First time it's had to sit out in the single digits all year, and it was a little slow starting when I left work.
    Very common problem with Corolla and Matrix. If it set the code P0171 when outside temps are very cold it will very likely need a new intake manifold gasket. The part has been redesigned and is about $10. It takes about an hour at the most to install. Toyota issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) about this problem.

    If you have any questions let me know!



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 45,474, Level: 65
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    psychlone99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    871
    Points
    45,474
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    At times changes in temp and humidity will make the O2 sensor code. If it's running fine give it a while and chances are it will go off.
    Correct. Had this happen in my car with the first big change in temp this winter. I waited it out because I wasn't noticing any problems and couldn't diagnose anything myself, and it went off after a few days.

    Seeing that your here in DM, this big drop in temp the last few days may have triggered it. If your car is running fine, wait it out a bit.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 98,373, Level: 97
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    FDWxMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    98,373
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLONE STATE View Post
    Very common problem with Corolla and Matrix. If it set the code P0171 when outside temps are very cold it will very likely need a new intake manifold gasket. The part has been redesigned and is about $10. It takes about an hour at the most to install. Toyota issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) about this problem.

    If you have any questions let me know!
    Thanks, looks like an easy enough one to check.



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 9,477, Level: 29
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    388
    Points
    9,477
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by FDWxMan View Post
    Thanks, looks like an easy enough one to check.
    You could always go to Aamco, where they do a free diagnostic check, and they can tell you exactly what is wrong with your car.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 187,169, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,270
    Points
    187,169
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    As long as it is not flashing and you car is running fine i wouldnt worry too much. If you are worried go in and have someone clear your codes.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 313,677, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a Bunker
    Posts
    14,512
    Points
    313,677
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 19

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    I have ignored my check engine light for almost 2 years, I treat it like the seatbelt light that blinks for 2 minutes.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 260,858, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,173
    Points
    260,858
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    I have ignored my check engine light for almost 2 years, I treat it like the seatbelt light that blinks for 2 minutes.
    I know someone that will pull your *** over and put you in fail for that ****, pal.


    Team Rainbo_

    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,451, Level: 23
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    342
    Points
    6,451
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Just put a piece of black tape over the check engine light on your dashboard and that should solve all your problems.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 25,865, Level: 49
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Yellow Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    25,865
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 30

    Re: Car Experts: Check Engine

    Try this...

    Unhook your battery....

    Re-connect your battery after... i don't know... 5 minutes or so.

    Fire that baby up. If the light comes back on you need to sacrafice a virgin. OR do what the other guys in this thread recommended.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM