Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 890

Recruiting Wide Receivers

First of a series...

In two fell swoops, Coach Paul Rhoads will have remade the Iowa State corps of receivers. Sweep One, Quinton Bundrage. Ja’Quarius Daniels, Tad Ecby—and possibly Teddy Lampkin. Sweep Two, Quan West, Patrick Harris, Dondre Daley—and possibly Trey Griffey. Subtract Darius Darks and Money Reynolds, then Josh Lenz, Chris Young and Aaron Horne, and by 2013 the sole remnants of the ’11 season will be Albert Gary and Jarvis West. No one’s got any complaints about those two guys’ hands, speed or athleticism.

I cannot guess whether any of the true freshmen will join the redshirts in breaking into the playing rotation. It wouldn’t surprise me if two of them did—and given the encouraging apparent muscle gain by Bundrage and Ecby, Harris should be ready and rarin’ to go when his redshirt comes off. Daley too, I suppose, but I’m not expecting him to weigh in at 170 when he reports to campus. My question about him has more to do with polish.

What wide receiver coach worth his salt wouldn’t be eager to work with these guys?

The question is, when is enough enough?

The answer is probably, is there ever enough?

I suppose that I could refer you to several schools that bring in several four-star receivers every year, but Oklahoma’s current class is a good example. They currently have four five- or four-star wide receivers committed—and are still after the Dorial Beckham-Green, the top player in the country. And the cupboard wasn’t exactly bare in Soonerland.

No wonder Landry Jones wanted to stick around.

So, can we expect CPR and OC Courtney Messingham to sign more receivers in the ’13 class? You better believe it! Say, wanna bet they sign another quarterback too? Or a running back?

But I digress. Besides, tight end and tackle will be offensive priorities. Oops. Did it again.

Isn’t it nice not to desperately need help much of anywhere?

All righty then.

We all know what we were getting when Ja’Quarius Daniels signed—and excellent athlete, ostensibly a quarterback, who could wind up just about anywhere. Some were hoping for linebacker, some are still hoping for tight end. Well, it looks like this is it, boys. And I think he’s going to be a good ’un. The comparisons thus far are to a “bigger, more athletic Marquis Hamilton”. I have no problems with that. On the other hand, if he’s in the mold of Hamilton, then Tad Ecby and Quinton Bundrage, both in the range of 6’1” 200, must be in R.J. Sumrall territory. Well, not “bigger”, but a couple of “more athletic” Sumralls, that I could handle. Both R.J. and Marquis certainly made the most of their abilities.

Of course, if Teddy Lampkin winds up back on the football field, we already have Jarvis West as a prime example of what that kind of athletic dynamo can do.

Then there is the current class of commits. The highest rated is Quan West, who has averaged over twenty yards per catch in high school. For a guy that’s listed at 6’4” 208, without Randy Moss speed, that’s really impressive. Speaking of whom, I’m going to another arena for comparisons to these guys. As a Vikings fan, play West in the role of a bigger Cris Carter. Then there is Patrick Harris, the next highest rated. At a listed 6’1” 160, the self-described deep threat seems closer to Anthony Carter than Cris, but the way Ecby and Bundrage have apparently added twenty pounds in the Fall term leaves me encouraged. For a more contemporary look, put him in the role of Percy Harvin. The slot receiver who can bust one

Then we come to Dondre Daley. The unknown. A gift delivered courtesy of former Cyclone cornerback Atif Austin. One look at his highlight film, and I fell in love with this kid about the same way I did the moment I saw David Irving’s. The potential is there. If anyone in this class gets the “Randy Moss” tag, it’s him, but a comparison to perhaps the most talented wide receiver the NFL has ever seen isn’t fair to anyone. So let’s bounce back to the Cyclone arena. Ike Harris? A little too dusty in the files for most people’s rccollection. Ed Williams? Nah. How about a younger Darius Reynolds? One who stays healthy—and has played wide receiver all his life? Okay, so he’s listed as 6’3” 170 right now. Well, Money graduated high school at something like 6’0” 175, so Daley’s right on track. Besides, in his visit photo, he looked bigger. I wouldn’t be surprised if he reported next Summer at 185 or 190. And if he redshirts, again citing Bundrage and Ecby’s example, I don’t think weight will be a problem for him any longer.

Then there’s Trey Griffey…but why count chickens before they’re hatched? Besides, it would be far too tempting to look at the bloodlines, and drool over what a great free safety he’d make. Nah, let’s just not go there. So, what’s the weather this weekend?

After looking at all of these guys, I’m sure that some of you are looking around incredulously, and saying, “He still thinks we’ll sign more wide receivers???” Yeah. And not just ‘yep’, but heck yeah!” CPR is assembling a nice collection of overlooked and underrecruited guys, but sooner or later, it’ll be time to start bringing in our own four-star guys. And, dare I say, five-star. If you don’t terribly mind, I prefer ‘sooner’. Besides, even given the size, soft hands and athleticism these guys represent, it would be nice to stir a legit 4.41 forty guy or two into the mix. Always pleasant to have a little surprise awaiting for the UT’s and OU’s of the world.

After all, remember—OU’s next. Even with all of those glossy wide receiver recruits!

Impact for ’13 recruiting
    Historically, good receivers at Iowa State are practically an accident. Ike Harris and Luther Blue were a long time ago. Tracy Henderson and Ed Williams just kind of “happened”. The best receiving corps I’ve seen at ISU was half walk-ons or converted players. Even Darius Reynolds was a quarterback in high school and at junior college. Todd Blythe was about the only “purpose built” top wideout I’ve seen at ISU—and now we have several filtering into the system.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t room for more. The coaches just have a chance to be more…selective now. Quality over quantity. Quan and Quality? All right! Let’s go Cyclones!

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,078

Re: Recruiting Wide Receivers

That was incredibly difficult to read.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 200

Then there’s Trey Griffey…but why count chickens before they’re hatched? Besides, it would be far too tempting to look at the bloodlines, and drool over what a great free safety he’d make. Nah, let’s just not go there. So, what’s the weather this weekend?

Visit no longer listed on Rivals.

Wonder if a reschedule is possible due to the weather (or it's completely cancelled)?

Last edited by ISUAgronomist; 01-19-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,845
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 70

I'm concerned about TE. IF JQ Daniels is staying at WR, who plays TE down the line? I think that Brun and Hammer will do just fine this year (and be an improvement), but we've heard next to nothing about Pierce Richardson and if Daniels is a WR, that will be two classes in a row with no HS TEs. That's a little troubling to me.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I'm concerned about TE. IF JQ Daniels is staying at WR, who plays TE down the line? I think that Brun and Hammer will do just fine this year (and be an improvement), but we've heard next to nothing about Pierce Richardson and if Daniels is a WR, that will be two classes in a row with no HS TEs. That's a little troubling to me.
    I see a lot of conern at TE, but honestly in the offense we run I don't see much of a difference between Daniels playing WR or TE. I think it would be great to another big body to create mismatches but it seems like thats kind of the plan with JQ, or at the very least something he's capable of doing.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

They are just waiting for White and Booker to switch to football and play TE.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

I had to quit after the first paragraph. I have no idea exactly what you are trying to point out. Can you tell me the 2 fell swoops, again?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,793
    Given: 4,016

JQ will be just a RSFrosh this year. There's nothing saying he can't continue to beef up, work on his blocking and end up putting his hand on the ground as a RSJr.

Also, I wouldn't give up on Pierce yet. He will be a RS Soph in 2012 and has been behind upper classmen who were probably further along physically than him. He still has a chance to develop into a TE for us. I believe in HS he was more of a recieving threat than a blocker. It's probable that he has had to work on blocking and strength at this level so I think we can give him some more time to develop. Brun sounds like a good receiving threat by all accounts so that will help for the next few years as well.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 12

While you make some good points, this was like reading a 12 year old girls diary

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,793
    Given: 4,016

Can we stop complaining please?

The guy had some decent points and any football traffic on this site is welcome in January. I'm dying for football season already so I will welcome any chance to talk about it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Here's another guy to keep an eye on. Says he's visiting on 1/23.

Terry Grigsby

2012 Iowa State Football Visits

Last edited by sdcyfan; 01-19-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 200

For other stats/grades:

Terry Grigsby - Yahoo! Sports

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    That was incredibly difficult to read.
    If you'd like, I can can suggest some reading comprehension courses?

I think that tight end will be at least solid this year, it will help if Brun pans out (and had a redshirt). Then next year they simply sign a JUCO transfer and a couple of (very good) high school kids. I decided I'm not going to worry about that any more than we needed to worry about DT on signing day last year--remember how that turned out?

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I had to quit after the first paragraph. I have no idea exactly what you are trying to point out. Can you tell me the 2 fell swoops, again?
    Your loss. Two swoops. One with the '11 recruiting class, one with the current class. Viola, the wide receiver corps is completely made over!

Quote Originally Posted by Messi View Post
    While you make some good points, this was like reading a 12 year old girls diary
    Then perhaps you should stop reading twelve year old girls diaries.

I'm not going to write at comic book level just so some of you guys can comprehend it. If I'm going to submit something, I'll have fun with it. That's the whole point. It's not a stock analysis.

Besides, other people didn't seem to have a problem. If you want "dumbed down", go read the bleacher report.

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Can we stop complaining please?

The guy had some decent points and any football traffic on this site is welcome in January. I'm dying for football season already so I will welcome any chance to talk about it.
    Thanks--that's exactly what I was thinking.

Who knew?

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,845
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    I see a lot of conern at TE, but honestly in the offense we run I don't see much of a difference between Daniels playing WR or TE. I think it would be great to another big body to create mismatches but it seems like thats kind of the plan with JQ, or at the very least something he's capable of doing.
    I think that's a good point. They probably give up some size and blocking ability with Daniels lined up outside vs Hammer and Brun, but they gain some speed and Daniels will be more of a threat. That said, I see no one on the roster that can line up as a traditional (blocking) TE after Hammer graduates. That's a little concerning to me. And, if there are any injuries, they are going to be pretty short of bodies unless one of the walk-ons steps up. Probably going to have to go JUCO next year.

Of course, this staff has been pretty good at creating depth and filling the pipelines, so for me, it's more wondering HOW they're going to do it rather than IF they're going to do it. That's a change from the McCarney era, where there never seemed to be an intelligent plan behind the decisions.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Of course, this staff has been pretty good at creating depth and filling the pipelines, so for me, it's more wondering HOW they're going to do it rather than IF they're going to do it. That's a change from the McCarney era, where there never seemed to be an intelligent plan behind the decisions.
    That's one reason I started this series--because I am so impressed with the apparent plan that CPR has put into motion, and it's effectiveness. McCarney, for example, seemed entirely slapdash in his offensive line recruiting--which I'll refer to when we get there. And that was a goodly part of what ruined him.

Last edited by Aclone; 01-19-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Who knew?