Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 152

UMKC at Municipal Auditorium in KC

I heard that the ISU men's team is playing UMKC...in Kansas City's Municipal Auditorium, next season. Although I think this is very cool for us in KC, can this possibly be true? I find it hard to believe ISU would play at a Summit League school.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: UMKC at Municipal Auditorium in KC

It would be neat if they played in the Sprint. The Municipal is a dump. Lots of cool history, but a dump.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    I heard that the ISU men's team is playing UMKC...in Kansas City's Municipal Auditorium, next season. Although I think this is very cool for us in KC, can this possibly be true? I find it hard to believe ISU would play at a Summit League school.
    Email Steve Malchow and ask.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 17

Any Cyclone games in KC would be awesome. I'm totally there.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,374
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

essentially with Mizzou moving out of KC (don't let anybody tell you different, KC will never become an SEC crowd) there are lots of TV sets and recruits to be had down there. Iowa and Nebraska fans couldn't care less about basketball. More games in KC would be a huge boost.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I love watching games at the Muni and would be all over it. Great venue for basketball. i think it's like a minature Hilton. But I do agree, ISU should be above it. It should be at the Sprint Center. I am not going to complain too loud on this one though. I guess the bright side is ISU fans will selll it out and the "road" game will be more like a "home" game.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hopefully now that we seem to be trending upward we will be invited to the CBA Classic.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    Fennelly did it a few years back. Thought it was going to be in Muni, but it ended up on campus at Swinney gym. It think the idea was to get a game in Hilton South plus treat the alumni base down here. With the switcheroo, they lost interest in doing it again. Although, it was fun to be up close with the team in a gym that was basically a glorified high school gym.

As was said in another post, there are players to be had down here that are good but KU shows little or no interest. Might as well replace MU in going after them. This town is Big 12 not SEC, St. Louis was the one that drove the switch.

Rookie
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Off topic a bit but I saw Cheap Trick and Aldo Nova at the Municipal Auditorium. I've also seen a college game there. It is old but not so bad.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    I love watching games at the Muni and would be all over it. Great venue for basketball. i think it's like a minature Hilton. But I do agree, ISU should be above it. It should be at the Sprint Center. I am not going to complain too loud on this one though. I guess the bright side is ISU fans will selll it out and the "road" game will be more like a "home" game.
    For a non-conference game with UMKC? Fat chance. We couldn't sell out games at Wells Fargo in Des Moines against Creighton and Ohio State. UMKC fans aren't going to buy a bunch of tickets, so I would be shocked if that game fills up half of Muni. It would be a total joke trying to do it at Sprint Center.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 428

Quote Originally Posted by RustyClone View Post
    Off topic a bit but I saw Cheap Trick and Aldo Nova at the Municipal Auditorium. I've also seen a college game there. It is old but not so bad.
    It is a cool old building. It's a shame that it won't be kept up well now that Sprint Center is down there though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    For a non-conference game with UMKC? Fat chance. We couldn't sell out games at Wells Fargo in Des Moines against Creighton and Ohio State. UMKC fans aren't going to buy a bunch of tickets, so I would be shocked if that game fills up half of Muni. It would be a total joke trying to do it at Sprint Center.
    It is one thing to not draw fans to a game in DM where the fanbase can go see the team play anytime they want by driving 30 miles. It is quite another when the game is over 200 miles from Hilton where it is much more difficult to get to see the Cyclones play. There are a lot of ISU fans in the KC area and I believe that there would be a good turnout of ISU fans at Municipal or the Sprint Center.

Municipal is the right venue for this game though because UMKC has little or no fanbase. Outdrawing them would be almost a no-brainer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,314
    Given: 266

Quote Originally Posted by abcguyks View Post
    It is one thing to not draw fans to a game in DM where the fanbase can go see the team play anytime they want by driving 30 miles. It is quite another when the game is over 200 miles from Hilton where it is much more difficult to get to see the Cyclones play. There are a lot of ISU fans in the KC area and I believe that there would be a good turnout of ISU fans at Municipal or the Sprint Center.

Municipal is the right venue for this game though because UMKC has little or no fanbase. Outdrawing them would be almost a no-brainer.
    We had over 10K at the game last year in Des Moines. That Bradley game back 4 or 5 years ago was bad (under 8K), but the Ohio State game down there awhile ago was nearly full (over 12K). We have not done a bad job drawing fans down in Des Moines.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by abcguyks View Post

I have no doubt that we would out draw UMKC, and as a ISU fan in the KC area, I would be at the game. I was more or less just skeptical of the idea that we would sell out Muni or even have a need to be at Sprint Center. I'm not sure how many seats Muni has exactly, but I'm not even sure that the previous crowds at the Well games would have sold out Muni, and there are obviously a lot more ISU fans in the Des Moines area than KC.

And as for Sprint Center, that place is over 20k for hoops. We probably didn't bring much more than 20k to the KSU games at arrowhead the last couple years. When Mizzou has played games at Sprint Center they have put the curtains up and closed off the upper deck. KU has sold the place out for regular season games, but that is an elite basketball school playing a game 45 minutes from campus.

I don't see our fanbase getting to jacked up and traveling to play UMKC, so I would see us bringing maybe 5-7k to a game like this tops. It would be a home court advantage no doubt, and KC alums like myself would love it, but we are kidding ourselves if we think we would sell out any venue for a regular season hoops game in KC. Hell, was the Drake game even sold out at the Knapp center this year?

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I have no doubt that we would out draw UMKC, and as a ISU fan in the KC area, I would be at the game. I was more or less just skeptical of the idea that we would sell out Muni or even have a need to be at Sprint Center. I'm not sure how many seats Muni has exactly, but I'm not even sure that the previous crowds at the Well games would have sold out Muni, and there are obviously a lot more ISU fans in the Des Moines area than KC.
    Just over 9,000.

There were 9,130 in there for the Big 12 WBB title game in 2000 (ISU vs Texas).