Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Filing Tax Return Questions

So this was my first full year working of working a full time job (graduated from ISU in August 2010). Despite making three times as much this year and paying more than twice as much in income tax, my tax return is a FAR CRY from what I got back in 2010 for just 4 months of work. So my questions are, and please excuse my youth and lack of knowledge...

1. Why am I getting back less when I paid so much more?

2. Would it help to file through a different website? Would I possibly get a different result?

3. I forgot to submit my state taxes in 2010, missing out on a small refund. Is there anyway I can file and get that this year?

Thanks for the advice. GO STATE.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,721
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Re: Filing Tax Return Questions

Quote Originally Posted by EWISUCyFan View Post
    So this was my first full year working of working a full time job (graduated from ISU in August 2010). Despite making three times as much this year and paying more than twice as much in income tax, my tax return is a FAR CRY from what I got back in 2010 for just 4 months of work. So my questions are, and please excuse my youth and lack of knowledge...

2. Would it help to file through a different website? Would I possibly get a different result?

3. I forgot to submit my state taxes in 2010, missing out on a small refund. Is there anyway I can file and get that this year?

It really all comes down to how many allowances/exceptions and stuff you put on your W-4. It IS completely possible that while you paid "twice as much in income tax" now, it still wasn't enough. Really, at the end of the day (or year in this case), you will always pay the federal government the same amount of money in taxes.

As far as the different website stuff goes, it really depends. My first year ever of doing my own taxes, I used Turbo Tax online which wanted me to pay the federal govt, but then went to Tax Act and I got a return back..mostly because I moved, graduated college, and started a new job, etc. The next year, they were the same thing..so I used Turbo Tax instead (I like their software better). Really, I would try both those sites as they are free until time to file.

As far as the not filing 2010 returns and small return, well...my last year of ISU I barely made anything in the state of Iowa, but would get a small return. I went to see a finance professor who was a CPA too and he basically told me it's pointless to send it in unless i wanted my $10 return. Never filed it, and nothing has happened to me.

If you really want to file it, I think it's possible, but not sure. I work with a guy who only files his taxes every three years (i.e. he files three years worth of taxes once every 3 years). Apparently you can do that, but no idea how.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

A refund is just a free loan to the government anyway.

If you don't have a lot of itemizable deductions, you probably won't get much more with another website.

Students have more refundable credits available to them. Those, along with the standard deduction, will wipe out most tax that you owe. Now with more income, and a higher taxes due, those deductions/credits don't go as far.

After all you are making 3 times as much, but only paid twice as much taxes. Therefore that would mean less refund.

Last edited by ccyclonepower25; 01-18-2012 at 09:20 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

1. Hard to tell without knowing the details of the prior year return and this years

2. probably not.

3. Yes.

My best advice is to consult a tax pro if you are really concerned. If you just file the 1040 with a standard deduction its should not be expensive at all.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 173

I pay $125 to have my taxes done by a pro and it is well worth it to me with income coming from several different companies and some rental properties. I'd guess its probably quite a bit less than that if you are just doing the standard stuff so its probably well worth your money.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,721
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    I pay $125 to have my taxes done by a pro and it is well worth it to me with income coming from several different companies and some rental properties. I'd guess its probably quite a bit less than that if you are just doing the standard stuff so its probably well worth your money.
    This is pretty smart if you own property or cars, sold stock or options, got married, etc. For a guy coming out of college, renting a place probably with no mortgage or anything you can get away with doing a Turbo Tax type of deal.

Addict
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    It really all comes down to how many allowances/exceptions and stuff you put on your W-4. It IS completely possible that while you paid "twice as much in income tax" now, it still wasn't enough. Really, at the end of the day (or year in this case), you will always pay the federal government the same amount of money in taxes.

As far as the different website stuff goes, it really depends. My first year ever of doing my own taxes, I used Turbo Tax online which wanted me to pay the federal govt, but then went to Tax Act and I got a return back..mostly because I moved, graduated college, and started a new job, etc. The next year, they were the same thing..so I used Turbo Tax instead (I like their software better). Really, I would try both those sites as they are free until time to file.

As far as the not filing 2010 returns and small return, well...my last year of ISU I barely made anything in the state of Iowa, but would get a small return. I went to see a finance professor who was a CPA too and he basically told me it's pointless to send it in unless i wanted my $10 return. Never filed it, and nothing has happened to me.

If you really want to file it, I think it's possible, but not sure. I work with a guy who only files his taxes every three years (i.e. he files three years worth of taxes once every 3 years). Apparently you can do that, but no idea how.
    You're not supposed to do that. I imagine this guy never owes any tax otherwise the penalties and interest would eat him alive.

Even if he gets money back and thus avoids penalties, it's still a bad idea because he's just given the government a 3 year loan without interest.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

You can still file a 2010 state tax return. If you owe money however it will have penalties tacked on for being late.

Regarding the software choice, they mostly ask the same questions and should come back with the same result if you're inputting the information correctly.

I haven't heard of the situation maroth is talking about on the every 3 years. Something doesn't seem right to me because extensions are only for six months on personal returns.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

If u do not owe money it doesn't really matter when u file cuz, well, u owe no money. If I remember the law correctly, as long as you file within three years u get ur refund. I have done something like that before. Basically in 07 I knew I did not owe anything and was too lazy too file. In 08, cuz of the 08 stimulus I figured I'd file so I did 07 & 08 at the same time. Don't think I'd go so far as waiting say three years. . .

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 487

1. The relative amount of your payroll witholdings decreased plus you're likely in a higher tax bracket. The result, you overpaid less this time around.
    2. No.
    3. Yes, but why bother.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Recruit
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

As was mentioned earlier, I'm a single guy, one year out of school. I rent a place, and don't have any investments besides what I pay into 401K. For some reason, I figured that since I paid so much more in income tax, that I was going to receive a larger return. I guess we didn't learn otherwise in the Greenlee School of Journalism.

Anyways... The 2010 state tax refund was for $157 and I don't remember why I didn't file it. I'm just using the TurboTax online forms and don't see an option for putting in 2010 data. However, it will be worth the trouble. $150 = 3/4 of a new 3 wood.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

1. You make more you pay more.
    2. No the rates are the same.
    3. You need to file reguardless. You have to pay a fine also. Better than in 4 years the state coming back and saying you now owe us.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 303

Everyone has already answered your questions. A few more points

1. Taxact.com is GREAT for the simple tax people.
    2. Remember this come W4 season. It sucks to pay out for taxes, but getting a "huge return" means you didn't plan accordingly.
    3. Remember the $$$ you're paying out and VOTE how you see fit

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 363
    Given: 1,410

Taxact.com

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,062
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 945

1. Chances are you moved into a higher tax bracket requiring you to pay more in taxes but I can't say for sure wthout looking at your information.

2. There are small variances between website but nothing that would cause one to be better than the other.

3. Yes you can file. You may get hit with some late penalties but I would go file it to avoid quaetions from the state later. Plus that refund amount is taxable income on your 2011 federal return.

If you need anymore help PM me because I am a CPA.

Curt