Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Wow

I wish I had a bunch of people who would stick up for me if I failed at my job the way you people do for Chizik.

People in all sorts of work get handed piles of dung to make lemonade out of all the time, failure isn't an option, even if the guy before you was completely innept, and I can assure you, although Mac was not the greatest coach of all time, he was no Criner.

And before you make too many excuses about the talent, there are some decent players on this team. I really don't agree that you couldn't do more with these guys than Chizick has managed. 1 win based upon the team we have and the schedule we have played isn't enough. I don't see any way you could grade out the performance so far any higher than a D. Show me some positives.

I feel some negative rep coming.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

Re: Wow

If you took a new job, and the person before you left behind a big, big mess to deal with before you could actually start making progress - don't you think the boss would give you some time to clean things up? I'd hope so, any boss that didn't is a fool.

Same/similar thing going on in Ames. There is some talent there, but it's so blatantly obvious to most of us - that there's just not enough yet.

The coaching staff is not void of blame, however they are not the real problem.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I don't think you can completely blame the staff, the players have to do their jobs too. But I do think we are seeing mistakes I hope we start to correct. I'm not going to be too critical of this staff right now but if this same sloppy play is happening in seasons 3 & 4 for Chizik I will be concerned. Right now I'm more concerned about recruiting because these first couple classes are critical to turning this thing around.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

I agree with you on wins, and so does just about everybody else. We should not have lost to Kent State, Toledo for sure, and UNI and Nebraska were winnable. I don't think Chizik would argue with you. The growing pains are for the players and the coaching staff. The coaches have screwed up on a number of occasions this season. Their lack of big time experience is showing as well. But they have seemed to improve in a lot of areas. Chizik said we were badly outcoached this weekend. We were and we were outplayed. Chizik is a young coach with a lot of potential. He has to learn to be a big time coach just as the quality of players needs to improve.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

How Long Did it Take Mac to Win?

Unless my Cyclone history is wrong- Mac didn't take Waldens talent & win right away. Why would we expect Chizek to take Mac's bad talent & win right away.

For you to say that ISU's talent isn't bad- what universe are you living on? Isn't this "decent talent" also responsible for going 1-7 in Big 12 play last year? Football isn't about having 5-6 "decent" players. If that was the case every school would be .500.

I'll make excuses for GC all day long during his first 2-3 years. He needs to be given a chance to recruit and develop his type of players.

Fans need to be realistic: 2-3 Big 12 wins would be a success in 2008, 3-4 Big 12 wins would be great for 2009.

BTW- what was Dan McCarney Big 12 record in his first 4 seasons?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 49

I started my current job 9 years ago. It was an absolute disaster when I got there, but I was given the chance to clean it all up and hire my own crew. It took years to get the proper attitude, concepts, and policies in place to make it a success. And that was only 5 people. You try that with 119 people and see if you can do it in 12 months.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by threemuch View Post
    I wish I had a bunch of people who would stick up for me if I failed at my job the way you people do for Chizik.

People in all sorts of work get handed piles of dung to make lemonade out of all the time, failure isn't an option, even if the guy before you was completely innept, and I can assure you, although Mac was not the greatest coach of all time, he was no Criner.

And before you make too many excuses about the talent, there are some decent players on this team. I really don't agree that you couldn't do more with these guys than Chizick has managed. 1 win based upon the team we have and the schedule we have played isn't enough. I don't see any way you could grade out the performance so far any higher than a D. Show me some positives.

Did you vote to fire Chizik in the hotly contested "Should We Fire Chizik" poll?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 619

ISU has worse talent than UNI. How should we expect Chizik to win with that?

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Turning around a football program takes time, and any analogy with turning around a real-world work situation is very limited. If you are handed a pile of dung at work and the resources to fix it, you can immediately start retraining existing employeed or fire them and hire new people. A football coach cannot fire his main "employees", that is, the players. They are students first and their contracts (scholarships) should be honored. The training is also limited by NCAA regulations, so retraining really only started two months ago. Furthermore, new "employees" can only been brought in once a year, and the "hiring" process leading up to this once-a-year opportunity takes years. The analogy you make is thus very flawed.

At this point, all you can expect is for the players to be buying into the new system, and that they are learning something from week to week.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,559
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194

Its CHIZIK you mooyak. Most kinda discount your opinion when you don't even know the coach.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Wow. Just wow.

Sorry to be so blunt but do you know ANYTHING about college football and how programs are built? Did you really expect Gene to come in and win 7-10 games this year?

Man some people just aren't very bright...

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I wish I had a job where people would complain all the time about me "failing" when I start.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I agree nobody could expect 7-8 wins, but I think 4 would be a reasonable expectation.

But hey, if hanging it all on the players or taking shots at me makes you feel better about our future, have at it if it helps you to sleep at night.

I am not saying fire the Chizik. That would be stupid. I am just saying that most cyclone fans are cutting way too much slack to the coaches thus far. We have a right to be ******. 1 win against a very bad Iowa team is not good enough for the schedule we have played so far.

Mooyak. That's pretty good. Is that Spokanese? Does it have a translation to English, or is that something unique to your backwater Washington dialect? And since you actually KNOW Chizik, next time you see him, tell him I think he has done a pretty crappy job so far.

Pile on the negative rep, goombas. You're breaking my heart.

Last edited by threemuch; 10-07-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

You are aware Criner has a better winning % than Mac does, right?

I agree that the coaching staff has underperformed based upon my expectations. Maybe the problem isn't the coaching staff, but our expectations.

Last edited by BryceC; 10-07-2007 at 10:31 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

I gave you a perfectly good analogy (which played right off your first sentence)...got nothing to that other than lashing out towards those that disagreed with you?